Gatorade A Scam?

Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Gatorade must taste good since its sales are in the billions of dollars.

$1.2 billion says the web. Hardly "billions."
In any case, just because it sells a billion
doesn't mean that it "must" taste good.
That's like saying Marlboros must taste good since ....

> I would say the science is pretty solid. A PubMed search would turn up
> independent answers.

That might be a better method.

jobs

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Many people know that Gatorade was invented by the University of
> Florida
> for the Florida Gators football team. However, far fewer people know
> the
> there was a competing product from in-state rival Florida State. Like
> VHS vs. Beta, Gatorade was the inferior product, but it ended up
> winning
> the marketing war, mostly because no one wanted to drink Seminole
> Fluid.

I'll bet that Seminole Fluid was the coming thing. Sorry I couldn't
resist.

-DF

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> No it doesn't. One of the regulars calls it "gatorbarf" and I'm
>> inclined to agree with him (at least on that item).

> I agree will all of Donovan's post.
> ---------
>
> two complaining whining babies. micro-focused on in race hydration
> when in the big picture/scope...most racers probably consume a vast
> array of "mis-steps" 1, 2, and 3 days prior to the event.

Spoken like the true novice. Some of us have mastered those other
mis-steps and it is simply a taste factor. Those that follow those
mis-steps will hopefully learn. All I can say is after about 10
marathons and a **** pile of shorter races, I OD'ed on the stuff. In
addition the stuff sucks for both salt and carbs in long endurance. I
have found other drinks that I can swallow and are better burning carbs.

-DF

>Spoken like the true novice.
_

taken out of context like an 'ol senile fool. so DF, you're in a Half
and it's hot and you've not hydrated in 45 minutes and the only thing
ahead is a G-rade table. are you bypassing that swig/swallow?

if you've been in a **** pile of races, you've encountered this
situation many times. it's in tihs context wherein i've come to
tolerate G-rade. i've come to many a water station that had no water,
only G-rade, and you have too.

DF, we're not talking about theoretical ideals, etc...so please, keep
it in context. Realworld? We're always in positions where G-rade is
your only option in a moment wherein you're in need of hydration.
That's the real world situation. Call it gun to your head, call it
whatever you want...but that happens all the time to us.

In those moments....I ain't *****in about G-rade.

On 2005-07-06, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Spoken like the true novice.

> _
>
> taken out of context like an 'ol senile fool. so DF, you're in a
> Half and it's hot

No, he isn't. Doug doesn't do half-marathons. And for what Doug does,
Gatorade doesn't really cut it.

> and you've not hydrated in 45 minutes and the only
> thing ahead is a G-rade table. are you bypassing that swig/swallow?
>
> if you've been in a **** pile of races,

The funny thing is, you've been in a grand total of two, count'em,
two, races where electrolyte replacement and bonk are actually
critical factors. And you choked in one of those. I think Doug's
experience trumps yours.

> you've encountered this situation many times. it's in tihs context
> wherein i've come to tolerate G-rade. i've come to many a water
> station that had no water, only G-rade, and you have too.

All the water stations I've run into had either water only, or both
water and gatorade. NYRR races usually just provide it at
half-marathons (and longer), and if these are properly planned, there
is always water available (I've run the NYRR halves at all locations
except Bronx, and they had water at all stops when I came through)

> DF, we're not talking about theoretical ideals, etc...so please,
> keep it in context. Realworld? We're always in positions where
> G-rade is your only option in a moment wherein you're in need of
> hydration.

Yes, it's just fine if all you need is a bit of water, which is the
case if you're running a half marathon or shorter.

Doug's saying that gatorade doesn't cut it in terms of delivering
carbs and electrolytes.

To clarify my position, I'm not even claiming any of the things Doug's
claiming (though I suspect he's right), I'm just saying it doesn't
taste very good.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> two complaining whining babies. micro-focused on in race hydration
> when in the big picture/scope..

<snip>

Lance,

Judging by the people you attack and the words you use, I would
consider that your low self-esteem and/or lack of confidence is the
main component of the personal problems and frustrations you are
spilling out into a public newsgroup on an ongoing basis.

cheers,
--
David Hirsh, director
www.absolutelyaccurate.com

should i send you $325 for the session david? actually my shrink says
since i retired my competitiveness is channeled no longer into business
but into my hobby (running). plus, it doesn't take a rocket scientist
to know that anyone who lives in manhattan, by definition, can be one
mean competitive sob. humorous to see you're still affected with how i
ripped you a while ago. let it go pal. methinks it reflects more of
you...than me. move on.

on topic....americans have too much time
http://www.firstinthirst.typepad.com/

a freaking gatorade blog?????

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> two complaining whining babies. micro-focused on in race hydration
>> when in the big picture/scope..

> <snip>
>
> Lance,
>
> Judging by the people you attack and the words you use, I would
> consider that your low self-esteem and/or lack of confidence is the
> main component of the personal problems and frustrations you are
> spilling out into a public newsgroup on an ongoing basis.

Actually, I believe you've misdiagnosed Lance. I believe he is a highly
competitive person that craves acceptance from a group in which he does feel
comfortable and so he lashes out at the people he percieves to be less
popular in the hopes that this community will embrace him.

> cheers,
> --
> David Hirsh, director
> www.absolutelyaccurate.com
> Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

"The Vicar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> two complaining whining babies. micro-focused on in race hydration
>>> when in the big picture/scope..

>> <snip>
>>
>> Lance,
>>
>> Judging by the people you attack and the words you use, I would
>> consider that your low self-esteem and/or lack of confidence is the
>> main component of the personal problems and frustrations you are
>> spilling out into a public newsgroup on an ongoing basis.

> Actually, I believe you've misdiagnosed Lance. I believe he is a highly
> competitive person that craves acceptance from a group in which he does
> feel comfortable and so he lashes out at the people he percieves to be
> less popular in the hopes that this community will embrace him.

i meant in a group in which he does NOT feel comfortable.

Sorry, my next appointment is here and i got distracted. "Virginia, you can
lie on the couch and start talking".

>> cheers,
>> --
>> David Hirsh, director
>> www.absolutelyaccurate.com
>> Southern Ontario's Summer Race Series!

> Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Gatorade must taste good since its sales are in the billions of dollars.

> $1.2 billion says the web. Hardly "billions."
> In any case, just because it sells a billion
> doesn't mean that it "must" taste good.
> That's like saying Marlboros must taste good since ....

The very first web hit I got for "Gatorade sales" in google gives:

"Led by its Gatorade thirst quencher products, which had sales of $2.1
billion in 2000, The Quaker Oats Company is the worldwide leader in
sports beverages."

Thus, I think "billions" is correct.

Besides, he didn't say "billions of dollars per year," and I don't think
there's any dispute that they've sold billions of dollars worth over the
years.

Anyway, I like the stuff, but I always buy the powder at Wal-Mart, which
I think is the cheapest way to go.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night,
and party every day.
Then it was every other day. . . ."
-Homer J. Simpson

The Vicar wrote:

> Sorry, my next appointment is here and i got distracted. "Virginia, you can
> lie on the couch and start talking".

SHE can talk? No way...

la> http://www.firstinthirst.typepad.com/ a freaking gatorade
blog?????

Yeah, I guess if DR and DF (and DH?) are too manly for Gatorade, they
might prefer this new alternative:
http://firstinthirst.typepad.com/darren_rovells_blog_on_al/2005/06/another_sports_.html

I'm allright with the Grade, perhaps not my first choice any more than
some third-rate wine from a backwater country whose raison d'etre is
most likely to kill that foul marmite aftertaste; but it'll do in
moderation. I mean, on a road trip across America I'm not going to
***** about how you can't find decent food outside of NYC and most of
the West Coast.

[email protected] wrote:
> should i send you $325 for the session david? actually my shrink says
> since i retired my competitiveness is channeled no longer into business
> but into my hobby (running). plus, it doesn't take a rocket scientist
> to know that anyone who lives in manhattan, by definition, can be one
> mean competitive sob. humorous to see you're still affected with how i
> ripped you a while ago. let it go pal. methinks it reflects more of
> you...than me. move on.

> on topic....americans have too much time
> http://www.firstinthirst.typepad.com/

So, Lance, just curious, why do you feel the urge/need/desire
to write something "on topic" after writing off-topic stuff?
Was it because you felt bad that you wrote off-topic stuff?
Are you trying to make up for the bad thing by doing something good?
Does it mean that we can apply that principle in general - do something
bad knowingly and then do something good after that so as to assuage
the guilty conscience?

jobs

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:

> > Sam <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Gatorade must taste good since its sales are in the billions of dollars.

> > $1.2 billion says the web. Hardly "billions."
> > In any case, just because it sells a billion
> > doesn't mean that it "must" taste good.
> > That's like saying Marlboros must taste good since ....

> The very first web hit I got for "Gatorade sales" in google gives:

> "Led by its Gatorade thirst quencher products, which had sales of $2.1
> billion in 2000, The Quaker Oats Company is the worldwide leader in
> sports beverages."

> Thus, I think "billions" is correct.

> Besides, he didn't say "billions of dollars per year," and I don't think
> there's any dispute that they've sold billions of dollars worth over the
> years.

You're right. Actually, in 2002, it was $3.1 billion. And I did misread
his statement to mean per year. But, growth has been slowing down due
to competition from Powerade. Anyway, I digress...

My original point still stands: Just because it sells a billion,
doesn't mean that it "must" taste good.

What is your opinion on this?

> Anyway, I like the stuff, but I always buy the powder at Wal-Mart, which
> I think is the cheapest way to go.

> --Harold Buck

Personally, I don't like the taste.

jobs

Gatorade must be understood in context. When it hit the market 30-35
years ago, the alternatives were junk like overswized cans of HI-C
(colored sugar water), and -- as to water -- 5-gallon bottles of
sparkletts on a home stand (want bottled water then? Look for Perrier).
They weren't even gunning initially for "endurance" athletes, but
weekend warriors like tennis players, basketball players, and the like.
Add to that, of course, organized team sports such as football and
soccer.

In other words, the product stood alone in its (then) 32-0z. glass
carry-along bottle, and wasn't outrageously oversweet like Hi-C or soda
pop. It was a groundbreaking product, and caught on with most
sport-playing folks at the time. The fact that it was "artificial" was
a complaint that hadn't really entered the psyche of the public by then
much, either.

For many of us, we sort of grew up on the stuff as a sport drink, and
after so many years, it's not something that makes us cringe. If I
overthink the issue, it's a tad yucky (FD&C yellow, etc.), but it's
still the first thing many of us will reach for during, after, or even
before, sport.

[email protected] wrote:
> Gatorade must be understood in context. When it hit the market 30-35
> years ago, the alternatives were junk like overswized cans of HI-C
> (colored sugar water), and -- as to water -- 5-gallon bottles of
> sparkletts on a home stand (want bottled water then? Look for Perrier).
> They weren't even gunning initially for "endurance" athletes, but
> weekend warriors like tennis players, basketball players, and the like.
> Add to that, of course, organized team sports such as football and
> soccer.
>
> In other words, the product stood alone in its (then) 32-0z. glass
> carry-along bottle, and wasn't outrageously oversweet like Hi-C or soda
> pop. It was a groundbreaking product, and caught on with most
> sport-playing folks at the time. The fact that it was "artificial" was
> a complaint that hadn't really entered the psyche of the public by then
> much, either.
>
> For many of us, we sort of grew up on the stuff as a sport drink, and
> after so many years, it's not something that makes us cringe. If I
> overthink the issue, it's a tad yucky (FD&C yellow, etc.), but it's
> still the first thing many of us will reach for during, after, or even
> before, sport.

Oh, man, now I've done it. I went and posted something reasonably
responsive and on-topic. Will I be banned for life?

j> Does it mean that we can apply that principle in general - do
j> something bad knowingly and then do something good after that
j> so as to assuage the guilty conscience?

Jobs, I dunno why you're putting this question to Lance, when someone
so passionate about this sort of question as to make it his life's work
is also posting to this thread.

> That is, how much is for athletics by choice vs provided at large
> marathons vs kids or whatever

Good question, Dot.

I may have one or two G'rades a week because it's easily bought on
Sunday long runs, and at least better than PowerAde. At home I stock
Accelerade and Endurox powders (a couple metric tonnes, rei-outlet
special).

I see some of the sofa spuds at work - younger guys - sucking down at
least one a day. Pretty sure their primary connection to athletics is
as fans of televised team sports.

> My original point still stands: Just because it sells a billion,
> doesn't mean that it "must" taste good.
>
> What is your opinion on this?

I agree that, strictly speaking, the logic is faulty. However, if a
sports drink tasted like ass, there's a pretty good chance that it
wouldn't sell billions of dollars worth of product.

> > Anyway, I like the stuff, but I always buy the powder at Wal-Mart, which
> > I think is the cheapest way to go.

> > --Harold Buck

> Personally, I don't like the taste.

There are a lot of flavors; I like the "Fierce Grape," although I don't
know what makes it fierce. Like Dot suggested, I dilute it a bit.

I've tried a few other drinks (e.g., PowerAde, Accelerade, and
Ultima--which does taste like ass) and I still like Gatorade the best of
those. There may well be something I'd like more, but Gatorade is cheap
and so I don't see any reason to go looking.