gear maintenance

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Patrick, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Hi everyone...a basic question...what should i lubricate my gears with...I
    have a gittane mountain bike...yesterday the gears seemed to cease but were
    fine again after a bit of fiddling...what should i put on them?...will wd40
    do?...
    Patrick

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Hi everyone...a basic question...what should i lubricate my gears with...I
    > have a gittane mountain bike...yesterday the gears seemed to cease but were
    > fine again after a bit of fiddling...what should i put on them?...will wd40
    > do?...

    Oh god.. run away!!!

    Start here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=group:aus.bicycle+chain+lube

    hippy ;)

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    that's another one to put on the a.b.jersey :rolleyes:

  4. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > hippy Wrote:
    >>Oh god.. run away!!!
    >>
    >>Start here:
    >>http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=group:aus.bicycle+chain+lube

    > that's another one to put on the a.b.jersey :rolleyes:

    Ja, cfsmtb's slogan on the front plus the madatory 'bike t-shirt cog
    image' and on the rear could be:

    What do you lube YOUR chain with?

    Motorbike chain oil ( )
    Sewing machine oil ( )
    ProLink ( )
    White Lightning ( )
    WD40 ( )
    Water ( )
    Beer (x)
    Cough Syrup ( )

    hippy

  6. >>>>> "HughMann" == HughMann <[email protected]> writes:

    HughMann> This is where you will find all the answers.

    HughMann> http://tinyurl.com/2rfwr

    Hey no fair! You hid that behind a tinyurl!
    --
    Amused
    Euan

  7. Parbs

    Parbs Guest

    "hippy" wrote in message ...
    > Ja, cfsmtb's slogan on the front plus the madatory 'bike t-shirt cog
    > image' and on the rear could be:
    >
    > What do you lube YOUR chain with?
    >
    > Motorbike chain oil ( )
    > Sewing machine oil ( )
    > ProLink ( )
    > White Lightning ( )
    > WD40 ( )
    > Water ( )
    > Beer (x)
    > Cough Syrup ( )
    >
    > hippy

    Getting close, how about "What lubes your ride?" Shorter, possible multiple meanings.

    Also need to stick something clichéd and Aussie as with the cog image - map of Oz, roo etc

    Parbs - realising he's probably read far too many TV ad scripts recently

  8. Jo

    Jo Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:57:01 GMT, "Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"hippy" wrote in message ...
    >> Ja, cfsmtb's slogan on the front plus the madatory 'bike t-shirt cog
    >> image' and on the rear could be:
    >>
    >> What do you lube YOUR chain with?
    >>
    >> Motorbike chain oil ( )
    >> Sewing machine oil ( )
    >> ProLink ( )
    >> White Lightning ( )
    >> WD40 ( )
    >> Water ( )
    >> Beer (x)
    >> Cough Syrup ( )
    >>
    >> hippy

    >Getting close, how about "What lubes your ride?" Shorter, possible multiple meanings.

    Very clever!.....or maybe I'm just easily amused?

  9. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Hi everyone...a basic question...what should i lubricate my gears with...I
    > have a gittane mountain bike...yesterday the gears seemed to cease but were
    > fine again after a bit of fiddling...what should i put on them?...will wd40
    > do?...
    > Patrick

    Greetings,
    Take your pick, but WD-40 (AKA Ratpiss) is not a good idea, too
    thin and too easily washed off again. Pay a visit to your LBS and
    check out lubricants. I personally use Tri-flow, which is
    currently about $10, but there are plenty of others.
    Regards,
    Ray.

  10. Patrick wrote:

    > Hi everyone...a basic question...what should i lubricate my gears

    gears?
    gear cables - remove, wipe clean, dip in oil, pump oil into any sheaths,
    force grease into sheath, rethread cable, occassional apply oil to cable
    at sheath entry.

    There are various sheath inserts and specialty cables if you want to
    spend the money.

    As to dolly wheel, remove, clean and lube with grease,

    Rear cluster; I like to rebuild and pack with grease, then oil
    occassionally (lie bicycle on left side and allow oil to seep in,

    WD40 may penetrate, but it washes out easily.

    In truth I use everything from heating oil, 20W50, vaseline, light
    grease, heavy duty grease and high temperature grease {:).

  11. Carl Brewer

    Carl Brewer Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:57:01 GMT, "Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"hippy" wrote in message ...
    >> Ja, cfsmtb's slogan on the front plus the madatory 'bike t-shirt cog
    >> image' and on the rear could be:
    >>
    >> What do you lube YOUR chain with?
    >>
    >> Motorbike chain oil ( )
    >> Sewing machine oil ( )
    >> ProLink ( )
    >> White Lightning ( )
    >> WD40 ( )
    >> Water ( )
    >> Beer (x)
    >> Cough Syrup ( )
    >>
    >> hippy

    >Getting close, how about "What lubes your ride?" Shorter, possible multiple meanings.
    >
    >Also need to stick something clichéd and Aussie as with the cog image - map of Oz, roo etc
    >
    >Parbs - realising he's probably read far too many TV ad scripts recently

    If you want to get these made, I can recommend rowbust in Melbourne,
    they do small runs (min of 10 jerseys) and they cost me around $85
    per jersey from memory, plus $150 initial setup - if you do a design
    with illustrator it's pretty easy to organise. I have the templates
    for their jerseys and knicks if anyone wants them (AI format, from
    AI 10)

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    wot's a propellorhead like you doing in Illustrator? :D

    F"base woz easier 3months ago!"Dutch