gears and front derailleur

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time sleaping fine tweaking my bike, I just can't
seem to get it perfect.

I'm using a Veloce compact set 10sp(50/34 + 12-25) and being the good
boy I am I calculated the gear ratios to find out which gears are
duplicate.

With the chain on the 34 I can go up to about the 6th cog before the
chain starts rubbing the front derailleur. (34+16) No problem I
figured because I can shift to the 50 and the third cog ( 50 + 21 )
which is somewhat higher in ratio. This all makes sense to me because
the small chainwheel small cog combinations are avoided as are the
large-large ones.

However: the (50-21) combination does rub against the derailleur. When
I try to adjust it so I can get one full range of gear ratios the
(50+12) largest gear rubs. It seems like I need to make a choice.

When fiddling with the derailleur another question popped my mind. The
ergoshifter has a thumb button (one click, chain falls to the 34) and
a lever (3 clicks for a shift). So a shifting 'phase' seems to be
three lever clicks per 1 tumb click. I set up the outer limit screw so
that I can do 3 clicks, it shifts smoothly but with the problem
mentioned above. When I loosen the screw I can make a fourth click
which solves the rubbing on the 50/12 gear but I also need to "thumb
click" twice to make the chain drop.

What exactly am I suppose to do with this ? The campy manual doesn't
mention how the ergo levers should behave to shift. They either focus
on the derailleur alone (which I followed nicely) or the levers alone,
not the whole thing.
Do I need to accept that some of the non-duplicate gears rub also ? Or
is it because the 34/16 to 50/21 is a too close shift and I immediatly
need go to 50/19 ?

Please help me out here, I'm in need for some insight.

For reference : the gear ratio's.

5.7 8.4
5.3 7.8
4.9 7.2
4.6 6.7
4.3 6.3
4.0 5.9
3.6 5.3
3.3 4.8
3.0 4.4
2.7 4.0

On May 5, 1:18 am, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a hard time sleaping fine tweaking my bike, I just can't
> seem to get it perfect.
>
> I'm using a Veloce compact set 10sp(50/34 + 12-25) and being the good
> boy I am I calculated the gear ratios to find out which gears are
> duplicate.
>
> With the chain on the 34 I can go up to about the 6th cog before the
> chain starts rubbing the front derailleur. (34+16) No problem I
> figured because I can shift to the 50 and the third cog ( 50 + 21 )
> which is somewhat higher in ratio. This all makes sense to me because
> the small chainwheel small cog combinations are avoided as are the
> large-large ones.
>
> However: the (50-21) combination does rub against the derailleur. When
> I try to adjust it so I can get one full range of gear ratios the
> (50+12) largest gear rubs. It seems like I need to make a choice.
>
> When fiddling with the derailleur another question popped my mind. The
> ergoshifter has a thumb button (one click, chain falls to the 34) and
> a lever (3 clicks for a shift). So a shifting 'phase' seems to be
> three lever clicks per 1 tumb click. I set up the outer limit screw so
> that I can do 3 clicks, it shifts smoothly but with the problem
> mentioned above. When I loosen the screw I can make a fourth click
> which solves the rubbing on the 50/12 gear but I also need to "thumb
> click" twice to make the chain drop.
>
> What exactly am I suppose to do with this ? The campy manual doesn't
> mention how the ergo levers should behave to shift. They either focus
> on the derailleur alone (which I followed nicely) or the levers alone,
> not the whole thing.
> Do I need to accept that some of the non-duplicate gears rub also ? Or
> is it because the 34/16 to 50/21 is a too close shift and I immediatly
> need go to 50/19 ?
>
> Please help me out here, I'm in need for some insight.

For 2007 Veloce, that's how it is. Dumbed down the left lever, with
way less adjustability.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a hard time sleaping fine tweaking my bike, I just can't
> seem to get it perfect.
>
> I'm using a Veloce compact set 10sp(50/34 + 12-25) and being the good
> boy I am I calculated the gear ratios to find out which gears are
> duplicate.
>
> With the chain on the 34 I can go up to about the 6th cog before the
> chain starts rubbing the front derailleur. (34+16) No problem I
> figured because I can shift to the 50 and the third cog ( 50 + 21 )
> which is somewhat higher in ratio. This all makes sense to me because
> the small chainwheel small cog combinations are avoided as are the
> large-large ones.
>
> However: the (50-21) combination does rub against the derailleur. When
> I try to adjust it so I can get one full range of gear ratios the
> (50+12) largest gear rubs. It seems like I need to make a choice.
>
> When fiddling with the derailleur another question popped my mind. The
> ergoshifter has a thumb button (one click, chain falls to the 34) and
> a lever (3 clicks for a shift). So a shifting 'phase' seems to be
> three lever clicks per 1 tumb click. I set up the outer limit screw so
> that I can do 3 clicks, it shifts smoothly but with the problem
> mentioned above. When I loosen the screw I can make a fourth click
> which solves the rubbing on the 50/12 gear but I also need to "thumb
> click" twice to make the chain drop.
>
> What exactly am I suppose to do with this ? The campy manual doesn't
> mention how the ergo levers should behave to shift. They either focus
> on the derailleur alone (which I followed nicely) or the levers alone,
> not the whole thing.
> Do I need to accept that some of the non-duplicate gears rub also ? Or
> is it because the 34/16 to 50/21 is a too close shift and I immediatly
> need go to 50/19 ?
>
> Please help me out here, I'm in need for some insight.
>
> For reference : the gear ratio's.
>
> 5.7 8.4
> 5.3 7.8
> 4.9 7.2
> 4.6 6.7
> 4.3 6.3
> 4.0 5.9
> 3.6 5.3
> 3.3 4.8
> 3.0 4.4
> 2.7 4.0

Given Peter's answer, would you consider putting a down tube
shifter on the left to shift the front derailleur? Just like LANCE!

--
Michael Press