Getting oil off of tires and rims

joetronic

Aug 23, 2005
I hat to ride through a nasty oil spot this morning, and have some oil on my rims and tiers, its making braking very iffy. I tried just soap and water, but its not working, I also tried a degreaser, but still a no go. anyone have any ideas.

thanks

Make sure you're using the right degreaser!! Muc-Off degreaser has shifted all the oily **** I have ever got on my bike, spray on, leave for 5 minutes, wash off with water.

Might be worth physically wiping off the rims and wheels first with a high absorbant cloth, make sure its dry as oil repels water (sort of) and then give the degreaser another go.

And don't forget to do the brake pads too! change them out or sand them down with some fine grit sand paper.

Eldrack said:
Make sure you're using the right degreaser!! Muc-Off degreaser has shifted all the oily **** I have ever got on my bike, spray on, leave for 5 minutes, wash off with water.

Might be worth physically wiping off the rims and wheels first with a high absorbant cloth, make sure its dry as oil repels water (sort of) and then give the degreaser another go.
That is the dregreaser i am using. i already have new brake pads already, and was going to replace them this week anyway. My main worry is the rims. These are really cheap rims that came on the bike when I bought it used a few months ago. I am going to upgrade the wheelset soon, but not just yet (money issues.) do you think a light sanding of the braking surface would help?

joetronic said:
That is the dregreaser i am using. i already have new brake pads already, and was going to replace them this week anyway. My main worry is the rims. These are really cheap rims that came on the bike when I bought it used a few months ago. I am going to upgrade the wheelset soon, but not just yet (money issues.) do you think a light sanding of the braking surface would help?
3M ScotchBrite the braking surfaces.
Use care not to scuff the tire sidewalls.
Mavic sell a "stone" that can be used for this, but unless you have uneven surfaces that need to be smoothed out I would just use ScotchBrite and some soap and water. Make sure to dry them with a clean absorbant "rag" like a cotton T-shirt.

Change your Brake Pads!!! This is the key. :)

joetronic said:
I hat to ride through a nasty oil spot this morning, and have some oil on my rims and tiers, its making braking very iffy. I tried just soap and water, but its not working, I also tried a degreaser, but still a no go. anyone have any ideas.

thanks