Giro start list

> My prediction:
>
> 1--- 2 Perez (Mexican climber?)

Nobody will win the Giro?

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
> >
> > My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are planning
on
> > doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.
>
> My prediction:
>
> 1--- 2 Perez (Mexican climber?) 3--- 4 Pantani

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
>
> My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are planning
on
> doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.

One solution - Find a sponsor to come up with a "Triple Crown" of stage racing. Give a huge cash
reward, and entry into all three tours the following year for the team (or teams rider) that places
highest in two of the three tours. This would give the middle and lower tier teams incentive to
perform well in the Giro and Vuelta.

-T

"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
> >
> > My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are planning
> on
> > doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.
> >

> One solution - Find a sponsor to come up with a "Triple Crown" of stage racing. Give a huge cash
> reward, and entry into all three tours the following year for the team (or teams rider) that
> places highest in two of the three tours. This would give the middle and lower tier teams
> incentive to perform well in the Giro and Vuelta.

The TDF organisers are no doubt very happy with being the dominant grand tour, and will probably try
to keep themselves that way. Therefore they would not want something such as you describe, and
they'd not give the automatic entry for the next year. They'd be particularly unhappy with the '2 of
3' bit, because if you want to do well in 2 tours, you'd choose the two most separated. Namely the
Giro and the Vuelta. A sponsor is going to give a huge amount of money only in return for a huge
amount of publicity. The way things are now, whoever won the triple crown would probably place
somewhere in the top 10 in each tour, but never get on the podium: not much publicity there, whereas
if you did it on team positions - well, not many people really care about team positions in one
grand tour, let alone playing with statistics from all three. The middle and lower teams would not
have much incentive to perform well in all three tours, because the winner would almost certainly be
a top team anyway, and going for something you're never going to get is fairly pointless, e.g. last
year USPS with 1 and 2 in the Tour and Vuelta would have won if you did it on riders (and that would
not, ever, get beaten by a middle or lower tier team); ONCE with 1 and 4 in the same on team
performance (which I suppose would be beatable, but given they weren't even trying to get that
statistic, and probably stopped trying to improve their team performance in the Vuelta as soon as it
got obvious they weren't going to win teams...).

Peter

> -T

"Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
> >
> > My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are planning
> on
> > doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.
> >
> One solution - Find a sponsor to come up with a "Triple Crown" of stage racing. Give a huge cash
> reward, and entry into all three tours the following year for the team (or teams rider) that
> places highest in two of the three tours. This would give the middle and lower tier teams
> incentive to perform well in the Giro and Vuelta.

Right now with existing rules the top 10 teams on UCI points get a free pass into all three Grand
Tours, with the additional rule that a top team must participate in two of the three GTs to maintain
its status. Among the top clubs are USPS, Telekom, CSC, and Coast, none of whom appear to be doing
the Giro (which means that they will do both the TdF and the Vuelta).

Is Oscar Sevilla one of the two sick guys? Is it something serious? I don't remember him in any
races this year.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What happened to Oscar Sevilla? Or should he be the missing no. 105 in
the
> > Kelme team?
>
> This is part of what I meant when I wrote that many teams and riders seem
> be giving the Giro short shrift. See http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/may03/may06news for
> its item
about

On Wed, 7 May 2003 01:27:27 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
>Among the top clubs are USPS, Telekom, CSC, and Coast, none of whom appear to be doing the Giro
>(which means that they will do both the TdF and the Vuelta).

And Rabobank.

> On Wed, 7 May 2003 01:27:27 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
> >Among the top clubs are USPS, Telekom, CSC, and Coast, none of whom appear to be doing
the
> >Giro (which means that they will do both the TdF and the Vuelta).
>
> And Rabobank.

Yeah. The Giro is allowed to take as many as 21 teams but there appear to only be 18 teams
listed. Rabo, Telekom, CSC, and Coast all did the Giro last year (though Coast wasn't a top 10
team in 2002).

I'm disappointed.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
>
> My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are
planning on
> doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.

After looking at the listing yesterday I had exactly the same reaction. No Levi, no Tyler. No real
Spanish winners except Aitor and he says that it's just a warmup for the Tour.

I would probably keep a sharp eye on Tonkov's team though. I think it likely that they're gong to
try to get a lot of exposure in the Giro.

no see other threads with possible outcomes revolving around fighting dope and other pitfalls..
seriousely? Simoni - Pink Shirt Cipo - Points unless AS announces that Dominica is going to the tour
in which case he may retire so he can race in july.... the tour wild cards appear to come out during
the Giro.. Perez Cuapio - Mountains (Paneria) Verbrugge (if he's upright) for stage wins... :)
everyone else is waiting for the tour except the spanish teams which are ****** because of the TV
coverage or lack there of.... Caucchioli is the only member of the 2002 podium to race this year....
:( Ronald wrote:

>>My prediction:
>>
>>1--- 2 Perez (Mexican climber?)
>

> Nobody will win the Giro?
>
> "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>>Finally. I've been waiting. Here's the provisional list:
>>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/giro03/?id=startlist
>>>
>>>My reaction? The TdF is too dominant. Many teams and riders are planning
>
> on
>
>>>doing the TdF instead, including two-thirds of last year's podium.
>>
>>My prediction:
>>
>>1--- 2 Perez (Mexican climber?) 3--- 4 Pantani

Postal and Telekom ride the vuelta.. postal to fulfill contact agreement with heras