Glad Ullrich In The Race

tomkay

Jul 20, 2003
Ullrich was an underdog coming into this race but he has proven that he not only is in fine form, but has the ability to beat Lance and win the tour. But I think the main lesson here is that no one is invincible, everyone can be beaten. Ofcourse, the race is not over yet and Lance is still the favourate, but it's looking like it will be a very close race. Regardless of who wins, this is the most exciting race in years.

yeah its been a great race so far . but id actually say ulrich is the favourite at this stage , going on the fact that he took so much out of armstrong in the tt the other day , and there is one more tt to come.
having said that i thought armstrong looked better today with ulrich looking a little jaded.

I'm very very glad that Ullrich is in the race. The competition for the GC is so much more exciting than last few years.

I still keep thinking about the fight in the top 5 of the GC if Leipheimer and Beloki would have still been in the race. That would have been one totally amazing fight.

But enough of that, I also thought that Lance Armstrong looked a bit better today. And I think he's going to try hard tomorrow. Perhaps too hard. He'll attack Ullrich, and he might succeed. He will also go for the bonification seconds at the finish, he feels he needs every second.
My guess is, that he has a big chance to win the stage tomorrow. But it will cost him a lot of his strength. If Ullrich can follow, the damage will be small and the time-trial on Saturday will tell who'll win "Le Centenaire".

wouldnt it be interesting if ullrich signed for tiscali at the start of the year? hamilton and ullrich on the same team?!

Originally posted by tomkay
Ullrich was an underdog coming into this race but he has proven that he not only is in fine form, but has the ability to beat Lance and win the tour. But I think the main lesson here is that no one is invincible, everyone can be beaten. Ofcourse, the race is not over yet and Lance is still the favourate, but it's looking like it will be a very close race. Regardless of who wins, this is the most exciting race in years.

Originally posted by tomkay

Two people have always known that Jan Ullrich would come back to racing as a contender to be reckoned with: Jan Ullrich and Lance Armstrong. Armstrong has steadfastly maintained that Ullrich is the most talented racer in the peloton--and the reason is psychological and not physiological--for he knows how much power the engine of true adversity can generate. Armstrong had his beer days, he just didn't get caught. Instead, he took on cancer. Ullrich took on a hostile German press, a doubting public, a team(Coast) that was in a financial cesspool, doubters, naysayers and all manner of second guessers
and stoked his fire with a nuclear heat that burned so hot that nothing was going to stop him--except the one person who had that same inner fire. You knock them down, it just makes them stronger.