going full circle (long)........

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Smokey, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Smokey

    Smokey Guest

    i got into mountain biking with a gary fisher marlin hardtail in 2000 because i was tired of being
    overweight and out of shape. back and knee problems ruled out running, so a bicycle seemed like an
    ideal solution. boy, was i right, hadn't ridden for 35 years and loved it! then i made the mistake
    of buying all the MTB magazines. started putting trick parts on my bike and made the big jump to
    clipless pedals. times seemed to be the pedal of choice, so i ended up with a pair of them. had a
    few rookie falls, but no major damage. then one day, they trapped me when i cross-rutted at speed
    and ended up with a broken ankle and a long push out of the woods. not the pedal's fault, i
    shouldn''t have gotten in over my head before i was really used to them. got back to riding and
    found my "fear factor" for clipless riding was really limiting the technical things i would try. let
    me state here that i'm still a novice and spend a lot of time watching people blow by me in the
    woods. then one day, i notice those cheap plastic flats that came on my bike. out came the pedal
    wrench and the times replaced them in the spares bin. took off for the woods and immediately found
    riding was more fun and i was attempting things i used to walk. they've been on my bike ever since.
    no, they are not as efficient on easy sections and i can't pull back for more power. i'm not a racer
    anyway, so it doesn't bother me. times are great pedals, don't get me wrong. for my way of riding,
    flats seem to be a better answer.

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Penny S. wrote:

    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years.

    You haven't been paying attention enough. There've been much worse than this in the last few months,
    at least he uses some punctuation.

    Could someone pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this
    > wirting style....

    Dunno, what's a wirting style?

    Sorry, couldn't resist :^) Try reading a James Ellroy novel.

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    smokey wrote:
    > i got into mountain biking with a gary fisher marlin hardtail in 2000 because i was tired of being
    > overweight and out of shape. back and knee problems ruled out running, so a bicycle seemed like an
    > ideal solution. boy, was i right, hadn't ridden for 35 years and loved it! then i made the mistake
    > of buying all the MTB magazines. started putting trick parts on my bike and made the big jump to
    > clipless pedals. times seemed to be the pedal of choice, so i ended up with a pair of them. had a
    > few rookie falls, but no major damage. then one day, they trapped me when i cross-rutted at speed
    > and ended up with a broken ankle and a long push out of the woods. not the pedal's fault, i
    > shouldn''t have gotten in over my head before i was really used to them. got back to riding and
    > found my "fear factor" for clipless riding was really limiting the technical things i would try.
    > let me state here that i'm still a novice and spend a lot of time watching people blow by me in
    > the woods. then one day, i notice those cheap plastic flats that came on my bike. out came the
    > pedal wrench and the times replaced them in the spares bin. took off for the woods and immediately
    > found riding was more fun and i was attempting things i used to walk. they've been on my bike ever
    > since. no, they are not as efficient on easy sections and i can't pull back for more power. i'm
    > not a racer anyway, so it doesn't bother me. times are great pedals, don't get me wrong. for my
    > way of riding, flats seem to be a better answer.

    My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years. Could someone
    pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....

    penny s

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 14 Feb 2003 02:10:58 -0800, smokey wrote:

    > for my way of riding, flats seem to be a better answer.

    Its all a matter of choice. Sure, there's a period where riding gets a little tough when first using
    clipless, but after awhile it requires no conscious effort at all.

    I've rented bikes while on trips, and sometimes they have flats - these have bloodied me much more
    than my clipless; there just seems to be no way to stay on those damn pedals!

    Each to his/her own. I don't have this opinion about writing, however. I probably skipped over 1/3
    of what you wrote because it was all run together in one paragraph with no capitalized sentences.
    Its just something you have to do if you want people to actually read what you wrote.

  5. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:49:46 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years.

    Not by a long shot. How many times have you seen people type something that long (or close to it)
    without a single period or comma, littered with misspellings? All he really did was not capitalize
    and not break up his paragraphs.

    > Could someone pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....

    It is not a choice, but rather an assumption that writing legibly is unnecessary and overly formal.
    They don't realize the amount of mental effort required to read it, nor do they understand the
    limited amount of mental effort that people are willing to put into reading posts. Half the readers
    have probably already lost interest in THIS post!

  6. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > smokey wrote:
    > > i got into mountain biking with a gary fisher marlin hardtail in 2000 because i was tired of
    > > being overweight and out of shape. back and knee problems ruled out running, so a bicycle seemed
    > > like an ideal solution. boy, was i right, hadn't ridden for 35 years and loved it! then i made
    > > the mistake of buying all the MTB magazines. started putting trick parts on my bike and made the
    > > big jump to clipless pedals. times seemed to be the pedal of choice, so i ended up with a pair
    > > of them. had a few rookie falls, but no major damage. then one day, they trapped me when i
    > > cross-rutted at speed and ended up with a broken ankle and a long push out of the woods. not the
    > > pedal's fault, i shouldn''t have gotten in over my head before i was really used to them. got
    > > back to riding and found my "fear factor" for clipless riding was really limiting the technical
    > > things i would try. let me state here that i'm still a novice and spend a lot of time watching
    > > people blow by me in the woods. then one day, i notice those cheap plastic flats that came on my
    > > bike. out came the pedal wrench and the times replaced them in the spares bin. took off for the
    > > woods and immediately found riding was more fun and i was attempting things i used to walk.
    > > they've been on my bike ever since. no, they are not as efficient on easy sections and i can't
    > > pull back for more power. i'm not a racer anyway, so it doesn't bother me. times are great
    > > pedals, don't get me wrong. for my way of riding, flats seem to be a better answer.
    >
    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years. Could someone
    > pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....
    >
    > penny s

    Shift keys are broken. Oops, that's a fragment... His shift keys are broken. :)

    Shawn (with a capital S)

  7. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > smokey wrote:
    > > i got into mountain biking with a gary fisher marlin hardtail in 2000 because i was tired of
    > > being overweight and out of shape. back and knee problems ruled out running, so a bicycle seemed
    > > like an ideal solution. boy, was i right, hadn't ridden for 35 years and loved it! then i made
    > > the mistake of buying all the MTB magazines. started putting trick parts on my bike and made the
    > > big jump to clipless pedals. times seemed to be the pedal of choice, so i ended up with a pair
    > > of them. had a few rookie falls, but no major damage. then one day, they trapped me when i
    > > cross-rutted at speed and ended up with a broken ankle and a long push out of the woods. not the
    > > pedal's fault, i shouldn''t have gotten in over my head before i was really used to them. got
    > > back to riding and found my "fear factor" for clipless riding was really limiting the technical
    > > things i would try. let me state here that i'm still a novice and spend a lot of time watching
    > > people blow by me in the woods. then one day, i notice those cheap plastic flats that came on my
    > > bike. out came the pedal wrench and the times replaced them in the spares bin. took off for the
    > > woods and immediately found riding was more fun and i was attempting things i used to walk.
    > > they've been on my bike ever since. no, they are not as efficient on easy sections and i can't
    > > pull back for more power. i'm not a racer anyway, so it doesn't bother me. times are great
    > > pedals, don't get me wrong. for my way of riding, flats seem to be a better answer.
    >
    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years. Could someone
    > pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....
    >
    > penny s

    Actually, I didn't think it was THAT bad. Might want to find that Shift and Enter keys, but at least
    it made sense. Anyhoo, Smokey, you're not alone. I've got one bike set up with flats. It's a give
    and take situation, especially in technical areas. Sometimes not being clipped in and have a large
    base to move around on helps, but sometimes having the extra oomph of pulling on the pedal can get
    you out of a situation. Have fun. Shift and Enter keys are your friends. /s

  8. Louisurfer

    Louisurfer Guest

    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years. Could someone
    > pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....
    >
    > penny s

    Who cares?! While we're at it, why don't we nit pick your spelling of "pleaes" and "wirting"

    Could someone please explain to me why anyone would post without a spell check?

    L.

  9. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    "louisurfer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last
    5
    > > years. Could someone pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....
    > >
    > > penny s
    >
    > Who cares?! While we're at it, why don't we nit pick your spelling of "pleaes" and "wirting"
    >
    > Could someone please explain to me why anyone would post without a spell check?
    >
    > L.

    I care because I like to read people's stuff, and I find it annoying when someone seems *to me* to
    be making point of making something hard to read as they possibly can. As for my spell check, if
    someone can tell me why it acts on an intermittent fashion for news postings, I would really
    appreciate it.

    Plus I have a blown extensor tendon on one of my fingers, that's my excuse... but it still doesn't
    explain a MS product not working properly...

    penny

  10. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > smokey wrote:
    > > i got into mountain biking with a gary fisher marlin hardtail in 2000
    <snip>
    > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the last 5 years. Could someone
    > pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE this wirting style....

    Poor typing. Like poor spelling.

  11. Lone Wolf

    Lone Wolf Guest

    yup i run flats with clips...... always have.... always will

  12. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:v4qqqagp9tkr[email protected]...

    > "louisurfer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > My nomination for longest unpunctuated, unreadable paragraph of the
    last
    > 5
    > > > years. Could someone pleaes explain to me why anyone would CHOOSE
    this
    > > > wirting style....
    > > >
    > > > penny s
    > >
    > > Who cares?! While we're at it, why don't we nit pick your spelling of "pleaes" and "wirting"
    > >
    > > Could someone please explain to me why anyone would post without a spell check?
    > >
    > > L.
    >
    > I care because I like to read people's stuff, and I find it annoying when someone seems *to me* to
    > be making point of making something hard to read
    as
    > they possibly can. As for my spell check, if someone can tell me why it acts on an intermittent
    > fashion for news postings, I would really appreciate it.
    >
    > Plus I have a blown extensor tendon on one of my fingers, that's my excuse... but it still doesn't
    > explain a MS product not working
    properly...

    Fuck that guy Penny. I mean look at his name for christ sake: "louisurfer". I don't even HAVE a
    spell checker. You misspelled a few words that you actually had to look for. I read right through
    your misspellings without a comprehension problem. Afterall, that is the issue. The ability to
    comprehend. I comprehend that "louisurfer" is a complete idiot who needs some sort of attention his
    mommy never gave him... hence the lunch-meat, satan-surfing, mentality of the idiot.

    The original post was ridiculous. When I saw that it was 2KB, and the poster wrote "(long)", I knew
    we were in for pure lunacy. He didn't even have to misspell words.

    I wish I could explain why people want to be misunderstood. To me it seems completely disrespectful
    of everyone who attempts to help... or would attempt.

    darsh

    > penny

  13. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On 14 Feb 2003 02:10:58 -0800, [email protected] (smokey) wrote:

    [snip]

    You're killin' me! Put those Gahdamn clipless peds back on and learn how to ride with them....In
    technical sections especially! Last thing I want to happen in a tech section is for one of my feet
    to come off the pedals unexpectedly.

    Although to each his own. Have fun either way.

    P.S. give power grips a try. I loved those.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:56:40 -0800 (PST), [email protected] (lone wolf) wrote:

    >yup i run flats with clips...... always have.... always will

    hmmmmm?

    :-]

  15. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:18:43 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I care because I like to read people's stuff, and I find it annoying when someone seems *to me* to
    >be making point of making something hard to read as they possibly can.

    You must luv my posts! lol

    peace, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  16. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    Bill Wheeler wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:18:43 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> I care because I like to read people's stuff, and I find it annoying when someone seems *to me*
    >> to be making point of making something hard to read as they possibly can.
    >
    > You must luv my posts! lol

    sure I do. At least you present as reasonably intelligent, though somewhat SS obsessed. It's only
    that run-on, marginally punctuated stuff I can't stand because it makes my head hurt to try and read
    it. So I don't.

    I see a hand surgeon's assistant on Weds.

    penny

  17. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I see a hand surgeon's assistant on Weds.
    >
    > penny

    Hand surgeon ??? What did you do Penny......you're supposed to pull your hand of the sewing machine
    before you start it...sheesh, even I learned that in Home Eco along with chicks dig you when you ask
    them for help and pretend to be clueless :^ 0

    --
    Slacker - "so how do I fix this hole in the crotch of my jeans"

  18. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    smokey wrote:
    > i got into mountain biking

    > hadn't ridden for 35 years and loved it!

    > then i made the mistake of buying all the MTB magazines. started putting trick parts on my
    > bike and

    Yep, same old story. Welcome to the a.m-b club

  19. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    > > I see a hand surgeon's assistant on Weds.
    > >
    > > penny
    >

    > Hand surgeon ??? What did you do Penny......you're supposed to pull your
    hand of the sewing machine before you start it...sheesh,
    > even I learned that in Home Eco along with chicks dig you when you ask
    them for help and pretend to be clueless :^ 0

    > --
    > Slacker - "so how do I fix this hole in the crotch of my jeans"

    I blew the extensor tendon of my middle finger on the right hand. 6 weeks of splinting did nothing,
    and the tip of my finger just"hangs". I can live with it but it catches and snags with simple tasks
    like getting change out of a pocket. www.emedicine.com/aaem/images/ 109Sach_Finger.jpg

    penny

  20. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > I see a hand surgeon's assistant on Weds.
    > > >
    > > > penny
    > >

    > > Hand surgeon ??? What did you do Penny......you're supposed to pull your
    > hand of the sewing machine before you start it...sheesh,
    > > even I learned that in Home Eco along with chicks dig you when you ask
    > them for help and pretend to be clueless :^ 0
    > >
    > > --
    > > Slacker - "so how do I fix this hole in the crotch of my jeans"
    > >

    > I blew the extensor tendon of my middle finger on the right hand. 6 weeks of splinting did
    > nothing, and the tip of my finger just"hangs". I can live with it but it catches and snags with
    > simple tasks like getting change out of a pocket. www.emedicine.com/aaem/images/
    > 109Sach_Finger.jpg
    >
    > penny

    I'm not even going to ask....it's your own "business" and besides, I'm scared!
    --
    Slacker