Golden Years

Dee Randall

Guest
THE GOLDEN YEARS

A couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them that
they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to
help them remember. Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up
from his chair.

His wife asks, "Where are you going?"
"To the! kitchen" he replies.
"Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"
"Sure."
"Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she asks.
"No, I can remember it."
"Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. You'd better write it down
because you know you'll forget it."
He says, "I can remember that! You want a bowl of ice cream with
strawberries."
"I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, so you'd
better write it down!" she retorts.
Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Leave
me alone! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for
goodness sake!" Then he grumbles into the kitchen.

After about 20 minutes the old man returns from the kitchen and hands his
wife a plate of bacon and eggs.

She stares at the plate for a moment and says - "Where's my toast?

> "Where's my toast?" reminds me of my dad. When I was around 5 years old,
> my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table while my mom prepared BLTs
> nearby. When we were eating this casually she often didn't wait until
> everyone's food was prepared before serving it. As she sat down she
> placed
> sandwiches in front of me and herself. My dad asked, "Where's mine?" She
> had served him a few minutes earlier and he had eaten it, but truly had
> forgotten he had. He was a brilliant man, but frequently was forgetful
> over small things.

> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Sooo funny, but I can really believe this. A true engineer! I think it goes
hand-in-hand. I almost know your mom's reaction - one mixed with ongoing
amazement and love.
Dee Dee

On Sat 25 Mar 2006 09:36:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>

> A couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
> They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them
> that they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing
> things down to help them remember. Later that night, while watching TV,
> the old man gets up from his chair.
>

> His wife asks, "Where are you going?"
> "To the! kitchen" he replies.
> "Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"
> "Sure."
> "Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she
> asks. "No, I can remember it."
> "Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. You'd better write it
> down because you know you'll forget it."
> He says, "I can remember that! You want a bowl of ice cream with
> strawberries."
> "I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, so you'd
> better write it down!" she retorts.
> Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it!
> Leave me alone! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got
> it, for goodness sake!" Then he grumbles into the kitchen.
>

> After about 20 minutes the old man returns from the kitchen and hands
> his wife a plate of bacon and eggs.
>
> She stares at the plate for a moment and says - "Where's my toast?

Aw, that's cute!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Dee Randall wrote:
> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>

> A couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
> They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them that
> they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to
> help them remember. Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up
> from his chair.
>

> His wife asks, "Where are you going?"
> "To the! kitchen" he replies.
> "Will you get me a bowl of ice cream?"
> "Sure."
> "Don't you think you should write it down so you can remember it?" she asks.
> "No, I can remember it."
> "Well, I'd like some strawberries on top, too. You'd better write it down
> because you know you'll forget it."
> He says, "I can remember that! You want a bowl of ice cream with
> strawberries."
> "I'd also like whipped cream. I'm certain you'll forget that, so you'd
> better write it down!" she retorts.
> Irritated, he says, "I don't need to write it down, I can remember it! Leave
> me alone! Ice cream with strawberries and whipped cream - I got it, for
> goodness sake!" Then he grumbles into the kitchen.
>

> After about 20 minutes the old man returns from the kitchen and hands his
> wife a plate of bacon and eggs.
>
> She stares at the plate for a moment and says - "Where's my toast?

:D

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 25 Mar 2006 10:04:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

> >> "Where's my toast?" reminds me of my dad. When I was around 5 years
> >> old, my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table while my mom
> >> prepared BLTs nearby. When we were eating this casually she often
> >> didn't wait until everyone's food was prepared before serving it. As
> >> she sat down she placed sandwiches in front of me and herself. My dad
> >> asked, "Where's mine?" She had served him a few minutes earlier and he
> >> had eaten it, but truly had forgotten he had. He was a brilliant man,
> >> but frequently was forgetful over small things.

> >> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> > Sooo funny, but I can really believe this. A true engineer! I think it
> > goes hand-in-hand. I almost know your mom's reaction - one mixed with
> > ongoing amazement and love.
> > Dee Dee

> Yes, I think you're right about engineers. My mother's brother is the same
> way. Yes, you're right about my mom's reaction. :)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

:D is great these stories... yes "ongoing amazement and love" is such
an apt description! My late mum once asked whether the meal was ok.
My dad replied, "Well it was absolutely horrible.. but we still
polished the plates clean..!"

On Sat 25 Mar 2006 10:04:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

>> "Where's my toast?" reminds me of my dad. When I was around 5 years
>> old, my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table while my mom
>> prepared BLTs nearby. When we were eating this casually she often
>> didn't wait until everyone's food was prepared before serving it. As
>> she sat down she placed sandwiches in front of me and herself. My dad
>> asked, "Where's mine?" She had served him a few minutes earlier and he
>> had eaten it, but truly had forgotten he had. He was a brilliant man,
>> but frequently was forgetful over small things.

>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> Sooo funny, but I can really believe this. A true engineer! I think it
> goes hand-in-hand. I almost know your mom's reaction - one mixed with
> ongoing amazement and love.
> Dee Dee

Yes, I think you're right about engineers. My mother's brother is the same
way. Yes, you're right about my mom's reaction. :)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On Sat 25 Mar 2006 10:12:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it graham?

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>>

> Dee: Too good not to share - I'll "steal" it for another group. Wayne
> will see it twice.
> Graham

And with pleasure, Graham.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

On Sat 25 Mar 2006 11:19:24p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 25 Mar 2006 10:04:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>> > Sooo funny, but I can really believe this. A true engineer! I think
>> > it goes hand-in-hand. I almost know your mom's reaction - one mixed
>> > with ongoing amazement and love.
>> > Dee Dee

>> Yes, I think you're right about engineers. My mother's brother is the
>> sa me way. Yes, you're right about my mom's reaction. :)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

>:D is great these stories... yes "ongoing amazement and love" is such
> an apt description! My late mum once asked whether the meal was ok.
> My dad replied, "Well it was absolutely horrible.. but we still
> polished the plates clean..!"

It's great to have all these little memory clips to look back on!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>

> A couple in their nineties are both having problems remembering things.
> They decide to go to the doctor for a checkup. The doctor tells them that
> they're physically okay, but they might want to start writing things down to
> help them remember. Later that night, while watching TV, the old man gets up
> from his chair.

<snipped>

LOL!
I'm not quite there yet, but I sure understand...
I write myself reminders on the bathroom mirror
for meetings at work, Dr.'s appt.'s and stuff.
I use a sharpie marker then clean it off with
rubbing alcohol, but dry-erase markers work too. ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Aw, that's cute!
>
> "Where's my toast?" reminds me of my dad. When I was around 5 years old,
> my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table while my mom prepared BLTs
> nearby. When we were eating this casually she often didn't wait until
> everyone's food was prepared before serving it. As she sat down she placed
> sandwiches in front of me and herself. My dad asked, "Where's mine?" She
> had served him a few minutes earlier and he had eaten it, but truly had
> forgotten he had. He was a brilliant man, but frequently was forgetful
> over small things.

My dad has the opposite problem... I keep track of the food in the
'frige, leftovers and anything else.

Sometimes dad swears he's eaten (said he ate some of the leftovers) and
I know he has not.

<sigh>
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > "Where's my toast?" reminds me of my dad. When I was around 5 years old,
> > my dad and I were sitting at the kitchen table while my mom prepared BLTs
> > nearby. When we were eating this casually she often didn't wait until
> > everyone's food was prepared before serving it. As she sat down she
> > placed
> > sandwiches in front of me and herself. My dad asked, "Where's mine?" She
> > had served him a few minutes earlier and he had eaten it, but truly had
> > forgotten he had. He was a brilliant man, but frequently was forgetful
> > over small things.

> > Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> > _____________________

> Sooo funny, but I can really believe this. A true engineer! I think it goes
> hand-in-hand. I almost know your mom's reaction - one mixed with ongoing
> amazement and love.
> Dee Dee

I'd have just given him my sandwich and gone and made another one. ;-)
Saves arguing and embarassment.
--

Dee Randall wrote:
> THE GOLDEN YEARS

Loved the joke! Unfortunately the title of the thread started an earworm -
David Bowie (golden years, wop wop wop) and I hated that song! Why is it
the ones you hate get stuck in your head?

Jill

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>>

> Loved the joke! Unfortunately the title of the thread started an
> earworm -
> David Bowie (golden years, wop wop wop) and I hated that song! Why is it
> the ones you hate get stuck in your head?
>
> Jill

I don't know if this is the one or not -- but you have now given me an
earworm -- Talking Heads - something about As the Years go By.
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" wrote

> THE GOLDEN YEARS

<snipped and forwarded to friends>

Love it, Dee - thanks for posting. Now, if I could only remember what the
joke was............

Dora

"limey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dee Randall" wrote
>
>> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>>

> <snipped and forwarded to friends>
>
> Love it, Dee - thanks for posting. Now, if I could only remember what the
> joke was............
>
> Dora

What day did I post that? Let me look it up. I'll get back to you.
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" wrote >

> "limey" wrote >>
>> "Dee Randall" wrote
>>
>>> THE GOLDEN YEARS
>>>

>> <snipped and forwarded to friends>
>>
>> Love it, Dee - thanks for posting. Now, if I could only remember what the
>> joke was............
>>
>> Dora

> What day did I post that? Let me look it up. I'll get back to you.
> Dee Dee

Let's see - I think your name is Dee, right? <BEG> Maybe I could help if I
could only remember what day it is now. ;-)

Dora

limey wrote:
> "Dee Randall" wrote >
>
> > "limey" wrote >>
> >> "Dee Randall" wrote

> >> <snipped and forwarded to friends>
> >>
> >> Love it, Dee - thanks for posting. Now, if I could only remember what the
> >> joke was............
> >>
> >> Dora

> > What day did I post that? Let me look it up. I'll get back to you.
> > Dee Dee

> Let's see - I think your name is Dee, right? <BEG> Maybe I could help if I
> could only remember what day it is now. ;-)
>
> Dora

oh dear... I don't remember posting that joke myself... lol

"dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> limey wrote:
>> "Dee Randall" wrote >
>>
>> > "limey" wrote >>

>> > What day did I post that? Let me look it up. I'll get back to you.
>> > Dee Dee

>> Let's see - I think your name is Dee, right? <BEG> Maybe I could help if
>> could only remember what day it is now. ;-)
>>
>> Dora

> oh dear... I don't remember posting that joke myself... lol

ROFLMO!

"dee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> limey wrote:
>> "Dee Randall" wrote >
>>
>> > "limey" wrote >>

>> > What day did I post that? Let me look it up. I'll get back to you.
>> > Dee Dee

>> Let's see - I think your name is Dee, right? <BEG> Maybe I could help if
>> could only remember what day it is now. ;-)
>>
>> Dora

> oh dear... I don't remember posting that joke myself... lol

Yes, you did, Dee -- DH said he saw someone posting a stupid joke under my
name!
Dee Dee