Good 25.4mm road handlebars?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I'm looking for a good road handlebar to fit a 25.4mm stem clamp --
preferably a 44cm width, and a mild ergo bend. The only one I've found is
a standard Maes bend, which is OK but I prefer a mild ergo design (not too
extreme). Any ideas?

Matt O.

> I'm looking for a good road handlebar to fit a 25.4mm stem clamp --
> preferably a 44cm width, and a mild ergo bend. The only one I've found is
> a standard Maes bend, which is OK but I prefer a mild ergo design (not too
> extreme). Any ideas?
>
> Matt O.

Matt: Bontrager still has some cyclocross bars in that size. Not sure if the
bend is what you're looking for, but you could check some out on one of the
relevant bikes they come on.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

news:p[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a good road handlebar to fit a 25.4mm stem clamp --
> preferably a 44cm width, and a mild ergo bend. The only one I've found is
> a standard Maes bend, which is OK but I prefer a mild ergo design (not too
> extreme). Any ideas?
>
> Matt O.

Nitto B-115 in 45 cm for $25 (+ shipping) from Ben's Cycle @ 414-384-2236.

I have 3 of these on 3 different bikes .. I love these bars, they're
indestructable.

See a pic by searching for "Nitto B-115" on ebay.

J.

news:p[email protected]...

Matt O'Toole wrote:

> I'm looking for a good road handlebar to fit a 25.4mm stem clamp --
> preferably a 44cm width, and a mild ergo bend. The only one I've found is
> a standard Maes bend, which is OK but I prefer a mild ergo design (not too
> extreme). Any ideas?

Fuji fit quite a nice one to the Track, but I'm not sure if it's
available for the aftermarket - maybe e-mail them and ask who makes it?

With a "pop top" stem the difference between 26.0 and 25.4 bars doesn't
seem to be as critical. On my Kore MTB stem, 26.0 bars snug up quite
happily and the gap between pop-top and stem is the same as for the same
stem with 25.4mm bars. On removing the bar there are no apparent dents,
and you can't see daylight through it when it's assembled.

I don't think the manufacturing tolerances of some stems are so fine as
to cause a problem.

jack sprat wrote:
> Nitto B-115 in 45 cm for $25 (+ shipping) from Ben's Cycle @ 414-384-2236.

Since when did the Nitto 115 bar become available in an Ergo, anatomic
bend? The original quesiton asker aksed for ergo, anatomic bend bars
in 25.4 clamp size. He did not ask for a listing of any and all 25.4
drop bars.

> I have 3 of these on 3 different bikes .. I love these bars, they're
> indestructable.

I have a 45cm Nitto 115 on my touring bike. Wonderful bar. Very
traditional round bend though. Not ergo, anatomic. Very heavy though.
Probably does not meet the definition of "good" handlebar as defined
by light weight, 7000 series aluminum, carbon, flat topped, etc. as
found on expensive bikes today. These are only available in 25.8/26.0
and 31.8 mm sizes.

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:52:20 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Matt: Bontrager still has some cyclocross bars in that size. Not sure if
> the bend is what you're looking for, but you could check some out on one
> of the relevant bikes they come on.

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. Eastcoasters probably has some on a cross
bike in the store.

Mild ergo bars are more comfortable for me, but when they're too angular
it can be hard to reach the brake levers from the drops.

Matt O.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:21:03 +0100, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> With a "pop top" stem the difference between 26.0 and 25.4 bars doesn't
> seem to be as critical. On my Kore MTB stem, 26.0 bars snug up quite
> happily and the gap between pop-top and stem is the same as for the same
> stem with 25.4mm bars. On removing the bar there are no apparent dents,
> and you can't see daylight through it when it's assembled.
>
> I don't think the manufacturing tolerances of some stems are so fine as
> to cause a problem.

Maybe your Kore stem has loose enough tolerances, but the Klein stem I
have will absolutely not accept a 26.0mm bar.

Matt O.