Good routes in the Scottish borders?

Jazzie

Guest
Hi there everyone in to cycling. I am just new at cycling and would
like to know if anyone has suggestions for good short routes for a
beginner mountain biker? I live in the Scottish borders so any
suggestions would be welcomed. Adios see ya and thanks! Jazzie

7 Stanes - Glentress, Newcastleton, Dalbeatie etc.
All have good variety of marked tracks for beginners. See the(Forestry
Commision ) website http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/.

--
Steve
"Jazzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there everyone in to cycling. I am just new at cycling and would
> like to know if anyone has suggestions for good short routes for a
> beginner mountain biker? I live in the Scottish borders so any
> suggestions would be welcomed. Adios see ya and thanks! Jazzie

in message <[email protected]>, Jazzie
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi there everyone in to cycling. I am just new at cycling and would
> like to know if anyone has suggestions for good short routes for a
> beginner mountain biker? I live in the Scottish borders so any
> suggestions would be welcomed. Adios see ya and thanks! Jazzie

Where in the Borders? You're spoiled for choice for purpose built routes -
Glentress? Innermessan? Newcastleton?

And remember, under the Land Reform Act, you have a legal right to take
your mountain bike more or less anywhere you like. There are masses of
tracks on any ordnance survey map, and they're all legal for you. And if
there isn't a track going where you want to go, it's legal to go there
anyway. Do read the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, but basically it's your
right to go wherever you like.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/

Just as defying the law of gravity through building aircraft requires
careful design and a lot of effort, so too does defying laws of
economics. It seems to be a deeply ingrained aspect of humanity to
forever strive to improve things, so unquestioning acceptance of a
free market system seems to me to be unnatural. ;; Charles Bryant

Simon runs a gentle one day tour[1] in the borders every year that
visits some of the best mountainbiking in Britain. You'll need to
bring 3 friends though..

...d

[1] OK, I lied about the gentle.

in message <[email protected]>, David
Martin ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon runs a gentle one day tour[1] in the borders every year that
> visits some of the best mountainbiking in Britain. You'll need to
> bring 3 friends though..
>
> ..d
>
> [1] OK, I lied about the gentle.

It's only 400Km. An easy day's ride... over some of the best mountain bike
routes in Europe...

'graveyards are full of indispensable people'

On Mar 21, 12:07 pm, "Steve Shaw" <[email protected]> wrote:
> 7 Stanes - Glentress, Newcastleton, Dalbeatie etc.
> All have good variety of marked tracks for beginners. See the(Forestry
> Commision ) website http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/.
>
> --
> Steve"Jazzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Hi there everyone in to cycling. I am just new at cycling and would
> > like to know if anyone has suggestions for good short routes for a
> > beginner mountain biker? I live in the Scottish borders so any
> > suggestions would be welcomed. Adios see ya and thanks! Jazzie- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestions - I will look it up. I live near Melrose.
Cheers Jazzie

On Mar 21, 4:10 pm, "David Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Simon runs a gentle one day tour[1] in the borders every year that
> visits some of the best mountainbiking in Britain. You'll need to
> bring 3 friends though..
>
> ..d
>
> [1] OK, I lied about the gentle.

Laughs! I don't believe "gentle" describes anything of what my first
experiences with this new hobby has been like! Jazzie

On Mar 22, 1:04 am, "Jazzie" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 21, 4:10 pm, "David Martin" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Simon runs a gentle one day tour[1] in the borders every year that
> > visits some of the best mountainbiking in Britain. You'll need to
> > bring 3 friends though..

> > ..d

> > [1] OK, I lied about the gentle.

> Laughs! I don't believe "gentle" describes anything of what my first
> experiences with this new hobby has been like! Jazzie

Glentress is best as they have a good selection of options for people
and fantastic bacon rolls for afterwards too!

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Mar 22, 1:04 am, "Jazzie" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mar 21, 4:10 pm, "David Martin" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Simon runs a gentle one day tour[1] in the borders every year that
>> > visits some of the best mountainbiking in Britain. You'll need to
>> > bring 3 friends though..

>> > ..d

>> > [1] OK, I lied about the gentle.

>> Laughs! I don't believe "gentle" describes anything of what my first
>> experiences with this new hobby has been like! Jazzie

> Glentress is best as they have a good selection of options for people
> and fantastic bacon rolls for afterwards too!

Of the 7stanes, Kirroughtree is actually the best, by a good margin. If you
haven't been, go (yes, I know it's a long way for most people).

' ' <------- this blank intentionally spaced left