Tim McNamara said:In article <[email hidden]>,
landotter said:Tim McNamara said:In article <[email hidden]>,
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:landotter <[email hidden]> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 11:07 am, "David L. Johnson"
> <[email hidden]> wrote:
> > Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > >> Sorry to butt in, but what twine? I have trouble
> > >> understanding how twine can be involved....Quoted message said:Quoted message said:> > >> --
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:> > >>From the Official Cycling Hobbit source comes this:
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:> > Sheesh. I'm almost sorry I asked. God forbid that we should
> > actually use electrical tape -- or any product developed in the
> > 20th century, I suppose. I guess that goes with leather seats
> > and leather (or cloth?) bar tape, but shouldn't you be using
> > leather brake pads and wooden rims?Quoted message said:Quoted message said:> Yes, and use them humorlessly.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:IME most Rivendell customers have far better senses of humor about
this stuff than do their critics. You, for example.Quoted message said:Aw, does a little ad hominem make you feel better, hon?
You've been dishing it, sweetie, I thought it was only neighborly to
make sure you got a portion too. Don't want you to feel left out.And I had a serious point. I know a lot of folks who own and ride
Rivendell (and "Rivendell-type"😉 bikes. They've all got good senses of
humor and they all ride a lot- way more fun than the carbon fiber crowd,
who IME tend to be grim and more attentive to their HRMs than to the
world around them. When you get a flat, the CF types around here keep
going so as to not compromise their workout; the Riv types stop and lend
a hand. You can probably guess who I'd rather ride with.A good 1/3 of the riders who turned up for the 200K and 300K brevets I
went to this spring were on Rivendell frames- Rambouillets and Romuluses
in particular. Some of them even had Shimano or Campy brifters and 10
speed cassettes. It's a crowd with a lot of variety. I'll put up with
a little twine- even though I didn't get in when I was a Scout and I
still don't get it- to have good company on a ride.Quoted message said:I have a grand sense of humor--but unlike a lot of people that buy
bikes to hang on the wall, I ride a lot, and gain strong opinions
about certain bits of gear.Glad to hear you have a sense of humor. You must have parked it with
your bike when writing to this thread. The dudgeon that people get into
over Brooks saddles and steel frames and lugs is just hi-larious. I
like it that my bikes won't be any more obsolete next year than they are
this year.Quoted message said:It's unbelievable, for example, when a bike shop fails to stock what
I see as classic parts, things such as Rolls saddles and Kool Stop
brake shoes--classic moderately priced problem solvers, and instead
push overpriced junk like Aztec pads or overcomplicated and expensive
saddles, whose numerous seams and logos only cause more chafing and
redness.On this we agree. I happily don't have to shop at those shops. I have
a good local bike shop and there is always the Internet, which has
really simpled up getting the stuff I like to use.Quoted message said:Rivendell does the same thing with their bits. There's a ton of great
stuff and advice at their site. Then there's also this phony folksy-
craftiness that's just as eye-roll inducing as the unnecessary
technology they eschew. Sell Brooks saddles--fine by me, they fit
some folks--but I find it quite silly that they're the only option in
their catalog. Grant has decided that's what you shall ride and you
must obey.That's not it and I would hope you're smart enough to figure that out.
You can buy other saddles from many other places for cheaper than he can
afford to sell them. Grant generally eschews stocking stuff you can get
from Nashbar or at your LBS without difficulty. He can't compete with
the former on price and with the latter on convenience. Basically he
ain't got the cash to carry all that stuff in stock, so he sells the
products he likes and uses. I've never met Grant, but by those who have
I am told that the "folksy-craftiness" is just his personality.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -
I've met and ridden [name drop alert] with Grant and it's true. He
talks just like he writes. If there's a flaw that rubs people, it's
his tendency to state opinions as facts. I think [and I could be
wrong] that he assumes you know he is stating things as he sees them,
not as "they are." IMO [Ha!] a lot of us do that on message boards, so
I don't see why he should be singled out for it. I don't think he
believes everyone should see things his way. I *do* think nobody of
any promenence was stating his POV when he first started, and there's
no doubt [my opinion] that high-bar fender-clearance charity-ride
bikes came about because of him.
Joe