Goodbye

On Tue, 01 May 2007 01:18:08 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 02:52:29 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> It was a great country when I was a kid in the 50's. Cold war?
>>> Big deal. I think we peaked socially back then

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> Certainly not for black people.

>Depends on your measure. Afro Am business ownership peaked in 1958.

That's a social measure?

--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 01 May 2007 00:40:24 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>A Muzi wrote:

>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>>> Certainly not for black people.

>> Depends on your measure. Afro Am business ownership peaked in 1958.

>I'm kind of color neutral.
>I'm Polish, French, Irish/Scottish, Native American (Huron).
>What ever that brands me, I is me and nobody else.

In other words, by the way people looked at you you wouldn't be barred
from certain motels and restaurants based on the color of your skin in
1958. Or be banned from marrying someone with very pale skin.

Yeah, those were the days.
--
JT
****************************

In rec.bicycles.misc T. Ling Yu <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bill <[email protected]> wrote in news:6WvZh.4471$uJ6.2553
>>
>> HUH?
>> Who invited the Commies?

> An invitation is required to post to rbm?!

Nonsense. If one was required I have a feeling that Monsieur Baka would
have trouble getting one.

> Should I wait for my invitation before I post again?

Well, it's a bit late, but I'd be happy to extend an invitation.
Especially if you post about bicycles (and not politics).

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I know that there were the Romans, Ghengis Khan, Spanish Conquistadors,
> > Napoleon, Stalin, ******, Bush, Bush....
> > Then there were the religious murders committed in the name of the church
> > for over 1,000 years.
> > If I did the research, religion would lose. Historically it has been the
> > Christians murdering the non-Christians but lately the Muslims are taking
> > up the slack.
> > Bill Baka

> Again, atheist despots and atheist regimes have murdered and killed far more
> people than any other group throughout history.
>
> Do the research and you will be quite surprised.

Your argument will only make sense if atheist despots and regimes killed
and murdered because of their atheist belief. I am not sure I buy that
claim. On the other hand, the religious wars the world seen and still
sees are at least partially because of disagreement in belief.

Can we revert back to Campagnolo versus Shimano now? :)

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>> Depends on your measure. Afro Am business ownership peaked in 1958.

>> I'm kind of color neutral.
>> I'm Polish, French, Irish/Scottish, Native American (Huron).
>> What ever that brands me, I is me and nobody else.

> In other words, by the way people looked at you you wouldn't be barred
> from certain motels and restaurants based on the color of your skin in
> 1958. Or be banned from marrying someone with very pale skin.
>
> Yeah, those were the days.

Don't even think of *****ing at me about that. My father's parents came
over from Russia and Poland just before the Communist revolution, my
mother's mother was Irish/Scottish descent and came over in the 1880's,
and my French/"American" grandfather's grandfather was an "American"
princess, daughter of the chief of the Huron nation. I don't even begin
to want to hear about the poor Blacks since I had nothing to do with it.
I consider my "People" to be the Native Americans who were persecuted to
near extinction by the F'ing English settlers.
You got a problem with that, go to the NAACP, and cry on Sharpton's
shoulder.
Bill Baka

Dane Buson wrote:
> In rec.bicycles.misc T. Ling Yu <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bill <[email protected]> wrote in news:6WvZh.4471$uJ6.2553
>>> HUH?
>>> Who invited the Commies?

>> An invitation is required to post to rbm?!

> Nonsense. If one was required I have a feeling that Monsieur Baka would
> have trouble getting one.
>
>> Should I wait for my invitation before I post again?

> Well, it's a bit late, but I'd be happy to extend an invitation.
> Especially if you post about bicycles (and not politics).

Amazing what a simple "Goodbye" can start.
I'm riding right after this, since the thread seems to be evaporating.
Thanks for small favors.
Bill Baka

On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:40 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>> I'm kind of color neutral.
>>> I'm Polish, French, Irish/Scottish, Native American (Huron).
>>> What ever that brands me, I is me and nobody else.

>> In other words, by the way people looked at you you wouldn't be barred
>> from certain motels and restaurants based on the color of your skin in
>> 1958. Or be banned from marrying someone with very pale skin.
>>
>> Yeah, those were the days.

>Don't even think of *****ing at me about that. My father's parents came
>over from Russia and Poland just before the Communist revolution, my
>mother's mother was Irish/Scottish descent and came over in the 1880's,
>and my French/"American" grandfather's grandfather was an "American"
>princess, daughter of the chief of the Huron nation.

Unless you are visually identifiable as an ethnic minority who is
discriminated against regularly (particularly in the 1950s but perhaps
also now) it doesn't matter who your parents were in terms of what I'm
talking about. The 1950s were socially worse for black people in
America in than now. It's a fact. So if you want to say "the 1950s
were better for me" go ahead. If you want to say they were better
alround, well yeah, perhaps for the "average" American. But there
were things about that time that were much worse than now for certain
sub-populations of Americans.

> I don't even begin
>to want to hear about the poor Blacks since I had nothing to do with it.

I'm not blaming you. I'm pointing out that your thesis is wrong for
black people.

>I consider my "People" to be the Native Americans who were persecuted to
>near extinction by the F'ing English settlers.

That doesn't mean the 1950s were better than now for black people.
--
JT
****************************

Pikachu wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ed Chait" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> I know that there were the Romans, Ghengis Khan, Spanish Conquistadors,
>>> Napoleon, Stalin, ******, Bush, Bush....
>>> Then there were the religious murders committed in the name of the church
>>> for over 1,000 years.
>>> If I did the research, religion would lose. Historically it has been the
>>> Christians murdering the non-Christians but lately the Muslims are taking
>>> up the slack.
>>> Bill Baka

>> Again, atheist despots and atheist regimes have murdered and killed far more
>> people than any other group throughout history.
>>
>> Do the research and you will be quite surprised.

> Your argument will only make sense if atheist despots and regimes killed
> and murdered because of their atheist belief. I am not sure I buy that
> claim. On the other hand, the religious wars the world seen and still
> sees are at least partially because of disagreement in belief.

What happens to our "One nation under God" if we have so many Muslims
wanting "One world under Allah?".

> Can we revert back to Campagnolo versus Shimano now? :)

Sorry,
Back to bikes and I'll take one Campy, please.
Bill Baka

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 10:44:40 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>> In other words, by the way people looked at you you wouldn't be barred
>>> from certain motels and restaurants based on the color of your skin in
>>> 1958. Or be banned from marrying someone with very pale skin.
>>>
>>> Yeah, those were the days.

>> Don't even think of *****ing at me about that. My father's parents came
>> over from Russia and Poland just before the Communist revolution, my
>> mother's mother was Irish/Scottish descent and came over in the 1880's,
>> and my French/"American" grandfather's grandfather was an "American"
>> princess, daughter of the chief of the Huron nation.

> Unless you are visually identifiable as an ethnic minority who is
> discriminated against regularly (particularly in the 1950s but perhaps
> also now) it doesn't matter who your parents were in terms of what I'm
> talking about. The 1950s were socially worse for black people in
> America in than now. It's a fact. So if you want to say "the 1950s
> were better for me" go ahead. If you want to say they were better
> alround, well yeah, perhaps for the "average" American. But there
> were things about that time that were much worse than now for certain
> sub-populations of Americans.

My father was discriminated against for being Polish when he went
outside of his neighborhood into the Italian or other ethnic parts of
town. There was white on white discrimination too, but you never hear
about that. Since we moved to the country outskirts of the 'burbs yeah,
things were better for me. Gravel roads and hiking through cornfields
included.

>> I don't even begin
>> to want to hear about the poor Blacks since I had nothing to do with it.

> I'm not blaming you. I'm pointing out that your thesis is wrong for
> black people.

I really was counting the 'average' American, so in that sense I am
still correct. I have never been to the deep south and Arkansas and
Tennessee are as far as I go.

>> I consider my "People" to be the Native Americans who were persecuted to
>> near extinction by the F'ing English settlers.

> That doesn't mean the 1950s were better than now for black people.

So sue me, I'm not black, just part redskin.
Bill Baka

On Tue, 01 May 2007 18:02:50 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>What happens to our "One nation under God" if we have so many Muslims
>wanting "One world under Allah?".

God and Allah are probably the same guy.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:10:07 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>My father was discriminated against for being Polish when he went
>outside of his neighborhood into the Italian or other ethnic parts of
>town.

That has little or nothing to do with determining whether or not black
people were better or worse off in the 1950s than now.

>So sue me, I'm not black,

I can tell you're not black.
--
JT
****************************

On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:10:07 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>My father was discriminated against for being Polish when he went
>outside of his neighborhood into the Italian or other ethnic parts of
>town. There was white on white discrimination too,

Gee, that kinda undermines your thesis about the late 1950s being so
great, huh?

Just saying...
--
JT
****************************

Bill wrote:
-snip-
> my French/"American" grandfather's grandfather was an "American"
> princess, daughter of the chief of the Huron nation.

-snip-
> Bill Baka

I'm sorry, that sounds horrible.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Tue, 01 May 2007 00:56:59 GMT, "Ed Chait"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Again, atheist despots and atheist regimes have murdered and killed far more
>people than any other group throughout history.
>
>Do the research and you will be quite surprised.

Surprised that the entire history of mankind is replete with war,
killing, murder, genocide, torture, violence, etc., whether by
"atheist" tyrants, secular despots, religious leaders, religions,
cults, sects, psychopaths, ordinary people, etc.?

I'm shocked; shocked!

The point is that it is the human norm, and that religions and
religious leaders are absolutely normal in that respect.

DI wrote:

> "Moreover, the right wing has more systemic control of mass media about
> politics in the US than people of any other political persuasion." there
> goes all your credibility.

So for my information, what do you think the political inclinations of
corporate media boards of directors are? 'Cause from here they look
pretty dang right-wing/reactionary/fascist. And so does their "fair
and balanced" content, if you ask me. Why else would all of the major
networks call mercenaries "U.S. contractors" (to note just one tiny
example)?

But what do I know? I'm a treasonous terrorist-loving America-hating
extremist by some people's measures. Like wily Hamas, Taliban, and
AQ, I have won the misguided loyalty of the neighborhood children with
my no-cost bicycle repair!

Chalo

A Muzi wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> -snip-
>> my French/"American" grandfather's grandfather was an "American"
>> princess, daughter of the chief of the Huron nation.

> -snip-
>> Bill Baka

> I'm sorry, that sounds horrible.

The weird thing is that it is true. My great^4 grandfather was one of
the French who fought with the 'Real' Americans against the rather
brutal English colonists. His reward was to marry into the family.
Most of my long lost relatives are in Canada where they get along much
better than in the states. My family tree has a lot of branches.
Bill Baka

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:10:07 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My father was discriminated against for being Polish when he went
>> outside of his neighborhood into the Italian or other ethnic parts of
>> town. There was white on white discrimination too,

> Gee, that kinda undermines your thesis about the late 1950s being so
> great, huh?
>
> Just saying...

In the 1920's Chicago had the ethnic neighborhood thing going on. Kind
of shoots down your sniping, huh? He, and most kids in Chicago back then
knew Al Capone as a kind of folk hero. I think he was the inventor of
the drive by shooting.
Different times, way different.
Bill Baka

On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:08:28 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 May 2007 11:10:07 -0700, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> My father was discriminated against for being Polish when he went
>>> outside of his neighborhood into the Italian or other ethnic parts of
>>> town. There was white on white discrimination too,

>> Gee, that kinda undermines your thesis about the late 1950s being so
>> great, huh?
>>
>> Just saying...

>In the 1920's Chicago had the ethnic neighborhood thing going on. Kind
>of shoots down your sniping, huh? He, and most kids in Chicago back then
>knew Al Capone as a kind of folk hero. I think he was the inventor of
>the drive by shooting.

Could you please try to write more clearly. If I write that there was
discrimination against blacks in the 1950s and then you respond by
saying that there was white-on-white discrimination, any normal reader
will assume you are talking about the same time period and not 30
years earlier.

--
JT
****************************

On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:05:18 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

>My family tree has a lot of branches.
>Bill Baka

And seems to have borne at least a few nuts.
--
zk

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 00:08:28 GMT, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

>>> Gee, that kinda undermines your thesis about the late 1950s being so
>>> great, huh?
>>>
>>> Just saying...

>> In the 1920's Chicago had the ethnic neighborhood thing going on. Kind
>> of shoots down your sniping, huh? He, and most kids in Chicago back then
>> knew Al Capone as a kind of folk hero. I think he was the inventor of
>> the drive by shooting.

> Could you please try to write more clearly. If I write that there was
> discrimination against blacks in the 1950s and then you respond by
> saying that there was white-on-white discrimination, any normal reader
> will assume you are talking about the same time period and not 30
> years earlier.

Please try to read more carefully what I actually said and not try to
bend it to your 'persecuted black' point of view. I'm 58, my dad, gone 5
years now, was born in Chicago in 1918 and grew up there in the roaring
20's, right in the middle of it all. Whatever bug you have up your ass
about being black don't bother me with it. I was never part of it. I
never even met a black person until high school when I shared a locker
with the only black kid in the school. He was a nice guy and a friend
for which I got endless ****, even by prejudiced Mexicans. Figure that
one out, Mexicans prejudiced against blacks. Kind of strange.
I was born in Chicago in 1948 and moved to the sticks in 1950 so I never
got into that part of town.
Damn,
Do I owe you something for your blackness?
Bill Baka