General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Google's gotta be joking... beta sux

Started by Terra · · Last activity · 10 posts · 444 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 February 2005
Last activity
18 February 2005
Original author
Terra
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
444
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle the
    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm reading
    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals fashing in
    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google should
    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's for
    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this doesn't
    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    Terra

  2. I never see pop ups. Can you get a pop up blocker of some kind????????

  3. Terra said:

    I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle the
    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm reading
    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals fashing in
    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google should
    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's for
    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this doesn't
    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    Terra


    If you need a decent newsreader, download Mozilla.
    http://www.mozilla.com Get Thunderbird, it's their version of OE and
    it's problem free. I've deactivated OE on my computer, and I only use
    Thunderbird for mail. OE is very glitchy, but I haven't had any
    problems with this. 🙂

  4. have you done a windows update in awhile? the other service pack puts a
    popup blocker on your machine

    --
    _____________________________
    This be Tia's SIG!!! YAY!

    "Terra" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle the
    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm reading
    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals fashing in
    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google should
    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's for
    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this doesn't
    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    Terra

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle the
    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm reading
    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals fashing in
    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google should
    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's for
    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this doesn't
    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    USENET has been around a LOT longer than Google has. I was using it
    many years before I had ever even HEARD of the WWW. You just need to
    find the right s/w to use to READ the news. Once you use a decent
    newsreader, you'll never go back!

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  6. Lilith79 said:

    If you need a decent newsreader, download Mozilla.
    http://www.mozilla.com Get Thunderbird, it's their version of OE and
    it's problem free. I've deactivated OE on my computer, and I only use
    Thunderbird for mail. OE is very glitchy, but I haven't had any
    problems with this. 🙂

    T-bird is the real deal!

  7. Terra said:

    I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle


    the

    Quoted message said:

    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm


    reading

    Quoted message said:

    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals fashing


    in

    Quoted message said:

    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google


    should

    Quoted message said:

    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's for
    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this


    doesn't

    Quoted message said:

    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    Terra

  8. Justin said:
    Terra said:

    I really wanted to enjoy this newsgroup again but I cannot handle


    the

    Quoted message said:

    ads and spam google is making me wade through to be here. I'm


    reading

    Quoted message said:

    a LOW CARB message board with 3 adds for breads and cereals


    fashing

    Quoted message said:

    in

    Quoted message said:

    my face,...

    That is complete and utter BS, I'm sorry. Everyone using google


    should

    Quoted message said:

    complain about this. I won't be back through this portal that's


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    sure.

    *hugs* to all and bye until I get a decent reader- I hope this


    doesn't

    Quoted message said:

    mean the end of newsgroups =/.

    Terra

    I've been using Google beta and haven't had any pop ups at all either.
    I'm using XP with SP2, which has a pop up blocker, but it would
    indicate if something was trying to pop up and that never happens on
    Google.

  9. Quoted message said:


    I've been using Google beta and haven't had any pop ups at all


    either.

    Some folks aren't aware that the expression "pop ups" means
    something very specific: And additional browser window that
    pops onto your screen.

    Google does use banner ads. On the left is a tree of
    postings. In the center is the thread. On the left are
    sponsored banner ads. If someone is bothered by banner
    ads, they will also be bothered by a TV station that
    has ads scrolling on the bottom of the image. I figure
    Google has to make money somehow and since they don't
    use pop-ups I am not bothered by banner ads.

    If the OP is getting real pop-ups it was from some sort
    of spyware or invasive software not from Google. The
    blame is being placed in the wrong place if there are
    pop ups.

  10. Doug Freyburger said:

    If the OP is getting real pop-ups it was from some sort
    of spyware or invasive software not from Google. The
    blame is being placed in the wrong place if there are
    pop ups.

    Also, google uses keyword bots to determine ad content. Sometimes on this
    newsgroup there's a lot of talk about "low carb" bread, and "low carb ice
    cream" etc....

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.