got wrecked today

badhat

Jul 10, 2005
riding to work, routine, on a typically desolate stretch of county road north of loveland. my mind was wandering, and a guess the reporter herald delivery van didnt see me as he was pulling out (he says in, but i'm skeptical, as the front end of the van was pointing away from the house) of a driveway.....

smacked into him more or less at full speed, which on my tricross is 17-19 mph. traded apologies and info and i took off. bike survived, i rode it the rest of the way to work (i work at a hospital, conveniently) then went to the ER and had them look at me, as by that time i was having pain in my ribs when i breathed in deeply, and my left shoulder range of motion was down to essentially nothing.

two hours in the ER later and i'm told i have no broken bones, but likely some pretty seriously bruised ribs and possibly a seperated shoulder. i'm hepped up on percocet right now and feeling guilty about probably having to miss work for a day or two (job is kinda physical), and also hoping i can get back in the saddle sooner rather than later. praying to saint tyler for some strength there. the brusied ribs are gonna be worse than the shoulder, i can tell.

anyway, the dude says he was on the street backign in but i swear i didnt see him till the last second, so i dont really know what the hell happened. absolutely destroyed his front left fender though.

perversely proud of that, and the fact that the ER doc had to do a double take at my 42 bpm resting heart rate.

i'm hurtin'.

but the bike gods giveth and the bike gods taketh away.

peace

badhat said:

perversely proud of that, and the fact that the ER doc had to do a double take at my 42 bpm resting heart rate.

Sorry to hear that Mr. I had something similar once where my chest hurt as I breathed in and my shoulder was sore if I lifted it. At least your legs are OK!

Funny you should mention the heart rate thing. When I was in hospital I used to watch the blood pressure and heart rate machine and it was always around the 40bpm mark. One day when the nurse came to record my details on paper she assumed the machine was wrong and took my pulse manually. Obviously there aren't many cyclists admitted to the Royal Liverpool hospital because they always seem to have about 40bpm pulses.

Its a bad sign when there are so few people who have a reasonable level of fitness that a nurse in a hospital doubts a 40bpm pulse. You only have to go outside to see that there are as many fat people as average people and few athletic types.

Sorry to hear you ran into someone today.

I do find is comical that most people on the board will compare things like a resting heart rate. Nothing wrong with it, I just feel like I should start each post with.

5'8"
137 lbs.
4% body fat
BMI 20.8
RHR 41
Squat - 400 lbs.
Beers to get me good and drunk - 10

Ok, so the only thing I actually know is height and weight (and the beer things is pretty accurate too).

I was saying how you didn't have to bother. Most cyclists have a heart rate of about 40bpm. That was my point.

Here my stats:

5'8"

10"

60kg

I wasn't making fun of you. Just the board. It seems to be the thing to do is all.

Strikes me as funny.