GPS Bike computers

steve

Guest
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
bike computers.

It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
usually about battery life.

I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
batteries.

Steve G

On Mar 6, 8:11 pm, steve <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
> bike computers.
>
> It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
> choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
> centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
> will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
> will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
> The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
> usually about battery life.
>
> I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
> batteries.
>
> Steve G

I friend of mine has a Garmin (not sure which one) that he used on a
long race where battery life was an issue. He used a USB charger made
for mobile phones sort of like this:

Except his ran on regular AA batteries. I don't know what brand it was
but I think it was just some no-name. He put the charger under his
seat and ran the cable along the top tube so he could plug it in when
needed.

Joseph

steve said:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
bike computers.

It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
usually about battery life.

I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
batteries.

Steve G
There is a very sturdy solar charger that has many adapters for GPS and Cell Phones. Check out REI on line or see it in your store... if you have one nearby.

testing here with a GPS76Csx in the backpack and Cateye Enduro 2 on
the bar.
Works perfectly, downloads uploads, tracks to the inch and second,
transfer in/out of Topo USA and soon ride in an Otterbox with ethafoam
bumpers.

the ancient and honorabble Enduro is first runout .016% off on 20
miles compared to the $$$ and weel protected GPS.

SPIFF RIDES AGAIN !!!

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
> bike computers.
>
> It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
> choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
> centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
> will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
> will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
> The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
> usually about battery life.
>
> I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
> batteries.
>

> Steve G

Not a bike specific model, but check out the Garmin Vista HCx
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8703
Claim batt life of 25 hours (w/lithium batts?). I have one, but never tested
its runtime. Displays a moving map which I don't think the edge does, though
you'll have to pay extra for them.

g'day
youth

On Mar 6, 9:04 pm, "youth" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
> > bike computers.

> > It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
> > choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
> > centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
> > will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
> > will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
> > The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
> > usually about battery life.

> > I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
> > batteries.

> > Steve G

> Not a bike specific model, but check out the Garmin Vista HCxhttps://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8703
> Claim batt life of 25 hours (w/lithium batts?). I have one, but never tested
> its runtime. Displays a moving map which I don't think the edge does, though
> you'll have to pay extra for them.
>
> g'day
> youth- Hide quoted text -

I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster
zipped tied on top of my stem it's a very workable unit; last summer I
forget to recharge my batteries and the unit died ( gave my about an
hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up
continuing the ride tracking perfectly; did not reset or lose any
data, only showed the gap when the batts went dead and new ones went
in. It's a very smart well designed unit. I love the way the screen
display automatically goes to night mode when the sun goes down and it
gets dark. Brilliant piece of tech.

riding $400 of fragile electronics on a bicycle bar....

bars are nooooo protection from migrating snow geese, flying nuns,
rocks, hands feet, helmet, tree limbs.
not for a small Cateye enduro, not for a 14 times larger Garmin. The
idea advanced, you gotta watch the screen runs contrary to reasons for
needing an insight screen. No?
battery? The full bore GPS76 mabe runs 16 hours? There's a few
recharge the batts websites with charts. There appears to be some
question wether you're gaining or not useing a recharger.
I'm planning an expedition where a Marantz recorder and GPS and
occasional small camera are in daily use. That's 4 per day. Whattaya
gonna do? blow the day saving $1.50?

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:09:24 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster
>
>hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
>AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just started retrieving
this thread now...

Since besides a bicycle I also ride a motorcycle, and drive a car,
would this device serve me on all 3 vehicles?

Thanks,
Jose

On Mar 7, 11:10 am, [email protected] (Jose) wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:09:24 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:
> >I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster

> >hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
> >AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up

> Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just started retrieving
> this thread now...
>
> Since besides a bicycle I also ride a motorcycle, and drive a car,
> would this device serve me on all 3 vehicles?
>
> Thanks,
> Jose

perfectly ! I use mine in the car all the time; I had to plan a route
to drive to the states and enroute managed to miss a ramp in detroit
because the traffic was very hairy and construction imposed some
unforeseen detors, but I was able to get back on track, see where I
was, where I wanted to go and reroute myself there while driving on
the highway and just glancing at the unit. my gps only cost $300 at
gpscity, not $400; but no mind; yes it is an expense, I don't leave my
bike unattended, if I go into a store for liquids I take my bike in
with me, if the propietor complains no big deal I'll just go into the
next store. I have the lanyard tied to the stem so should a mishap
cause the unit to pop out of it's holster it's still on my bike. In
the car I put it out of sight in the glovebox if I park and leave the
car for a bit- less risk of inviting a smash-and-grab to get a
dashboard mounted unit. the other thing about my portable unit is that
i take it inside and can download/upload routes and info directly via
usb.

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:31:53 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>perfectly ! I use mine in the car all the time; I had to plan a route

Thanks a lot for the info!

Best,
Jose

"Jose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 22:09:24 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:
>

>>I'll 2nd the garmin cx; I use one on mine, with their geko holster
>>
>>hour warning, shutting off the display to conserve power); I bought 2
>>AA batteries at a gas station along the way and the unit powered up

> Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just started retrieving
> this thread now...
>
> Since besides a bicycle I also ride a motorcycle, and drive a car,
> would this device serve me on all 3 vehicles?
>
> Thanks,
> Jose

Yes, but the screen is smaller then a vehicle unit. Inputing text & stuff is
a bit tedious as you only have buttons to work with. I think most car GPS's
use a touch screen? Maps cost extra (around $100) whereas car units usually
come with them. This handheld unit is designed for hiking though so it's
good for outside use where it'll be exposed to the elements.

g'day
youth

join REI? and try

http://www.rei.com/product/752637

with Topo USA extra, bike mount?

or more $$$ with altimeter

search Garmin in the REI search box

batteries should be noooo problem

REI is ok for $$$ items as REI gives 10% back with membership, maybe
no sales tax. email sales
Campmor's clothing and sales are less expensive, eg socks,
windbreakers...

using a GPS 76csx on 'track'-no screen-saves battery power. 14 hours
now using the screen only for turn and occasional direction checks. No
heart monitor....
try asking a sattelite navigation or GPS group, there are engineering
types there.
Garmin's directions for transfer from PC are difficult. 5 sets with
two explanatory sentences hidden in two seperate manuals but the
online help tries harder.

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 1:51 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> riding $400 of fragile electronics on a bicycle bar....

>> Get these bars and you won't be worried about the GPS hitting the
>> deck:
>>
>> http://www.bellatisport.com/shop/category/66/product/388/ITM_K-SWord.html

> bars are nooooo protection from migrating snow geese, flying nuns,
> rocks, hands feet, helmet, tree limbs.
> not for a small Cateye enduro, not for a 14 times larger Garmin.[...]

The handlebars Joseph posted the link to cost TWICE as much as the
Garmin GPS unit.

On Mar 8, 9:11 am, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> using a GPS 76csx on 'track'-no screen-saves battery power. 14 hours
> now using the screen only for turn and occasional direction checks. No
> heart monitor....
> try asking a sattelite navigation or GPS group, there are engineering
> types there.
> Garmin's directions for transfer from PC are difficult. 5 sets with
> two explanatory sentences hidden in two seperate manuals but the
> online help tries harder.

BTW, multiple functions in one unit isn't indicated. The altimeter is
cool as combined with TOPO USA, topography/altitude gives location.
Nashbar sells a heart rate monitor for $40, Cateye sells wireless for
$40. Cateye's batt last years, the monitor? But those two function on
the GPS? dumb batt drain without purpose. PITA

"steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about GPS or traditional
> bike computers.
>
> It seems there is no perfect answer. The Garmin Edge 305 would be my
> choice but I'm very concerned about battery life. I will do several
> centuries this summer one of which -The mountain Lakes Challenge -
> will involve a lot of elevation gain and is far enough away that we
> will be camping and thus have no access to electricity.
> The reviews I have seen seem to be love it or hate it. Hate it is
> usually about battery life.
>
> I ride every day and don't want to be always worried about the
> batteries.
>

> Steve G

My TomTom One has a lithium battery with a cigarette lighter charger. Are
there any vehicles running safety for you? Took one hour to charge first
time I opened it.