Great Aussie breakfast & BV RTW Day

coowoowoo

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
I cant decide if i am outraged or not with BV's decision to allow the Victorian Farmers Federation to hold their annual "great aussie breakfast" as a part of the ride to work activities.

I thought the whole purpose of the day was promoting cycling to work and the reward was the free breakfast. The VFF usually hold a free breakfast annually but not as a part of ride to work day. So, if BV and the VFF are saying come on down for the feed, Fed Square will be a free for all tomorrow morning..Anyone coming out of flinders st station will waddle over and join in.

I have been to the VFF breakfast in the past and it gets a lot of people there. Whilst i appreciate that BV are happy to have anyone sponsor and contribute to the mornings activities, i dont think i agree with running it on the same day as it takes the shine off what is better known opportunites for cyclists to be seen and maybe get their 2 seconds of fame on the nights news. I would be annoyed to hear the nights news flash making reference to the VFF and its promotion of eating "healthy" bacon and eggs..

I have always looked at RTW day as the opportunity for cyclists to be seen for the collective that we are and to have the community realise just how many people do ride to work. I cant help but think that BV have taken the soft option here.

It is supposed to be "walk to work day" on this friday so why couldnt the VFF really promote this cause and hold their freebie bbq on friday.

Oh, and have a look at the reasons that VFF have put on their website about why they decided to join this event. They basically call cyclists stupid and not aware of where our food comes from.

http://www.vff.org.au/index.php?id=547444

I have snipped the best bits for you...

"We want them to understand the everyday products they consume at breakfast all originate from farming, and that Victorian farmers produce some of the best produce in the world."

"They might have never been on a farm so have little idea where there produce comes from."

Anyone else outraged about this or am i overreacting on this issue??

coowoowoo said:
Anyone else outraged about this or am i overreacting on this issue??

You maybe overreacting a tad, although I can see the point you're attempting to make. It's all about cross-promotion and corporate branding. BTW on the subject of spin etc, did anyone else watch 4 Corners last night?

Also if you don't want to deal with the crowds at Fred Square, there's plenty of community brekkies: http://www.bv.com.au/join-us/30051/

La Trobe University: 7:30-9:30, SARA Lawns - free breakfast for all riders.

Yarra Ride to Work Day: Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, Victoria Street, Richmond (opposite Alma). Free coffee and breakfast, free bike maintenance, police with engraving Tools, giveaways and prizes from Victoria Gardens stores, prizes from Crumpler bags, Yarra Leisure prizes, hairdressers fixing 'helmet hair'.

RMIT Ride to Work Day event: 8:30-10:30am Bike Breakfast, Bowen Street. Pancakes, juice and much more provided by our friends at the RMIT Food Co-op.

coowoowoo said:
I cant decide if i am outraged or not with BV's decision to allow the Victorian Farmers Federation to hold their annual "great aussie breakfast" as a part of the ride to work activities.
Or as a way to economise a little... :rolleyes:

"This year the farm is coming to Federation Square. The Victorian Farmers Federation will be putting on a mouth-watering breakfast of wholesome farm-fresh eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, fresh fruit, yoghurt, fruit juice and milk. So come along and treat yourself to a huge free breakfast - you deserve it! Rumour has it that you'll also get a chance to meet and thank some of the cows and chooks that contributed to your breakfast."

Unfortunately, the pigs were a little ... unavailable.

coowoowoo wrote:
> I cant decide if i am outraged or not with BV's decision to allow the
> Victorian Farmers Federation to hold their annual "great aussie
> breakfast" as a part of the ride to work activities.

[chomp]

> I have snipped the best bits for you...
>
> "We want them to understand the everyday products they consume at
> breakfast all originate from farming, and that Victorian farmers
> produce some of the best produce in the world."
>
> "They might have never been on a farm so have little idea where there
> produce comes from."

I'm so glad they point this out to us, I thought all our food was grown
in a
reactor in China and pressed in a composite autoclave in Taiwan. Maybe
that's just paddle pops?

*enlighened!* So eggs come from chickens eh? wow ...

Bear in mind that the powers that be at the VFF may not be
representative of all Victorian farmers, of course .. just like the RSL
has little to do with most returned soldiers, BV is representative of a
miniscule minority of cyclists etc, but is mighty good at getting press
space.

> Anyone else outraged about this or am i overreacting on this issue??

I think outrage is a little .. over the top, but certainly I'd agree if
you were a touch peeved about it. The website's editorial is clearly
written by an idiot.

coowoowoo wrote:
> Anyone else outraged about this or am i overreacting on this issue??

Not outraged but despite cycling within 50metres of Fed Square on the
commute I'll be giving this a miss. Queuing up and having a chat with
other cyclists I might do, but queuing up with the masses I'll be avoiding.

The Vic Gardens site would have been good but a start time of 7:30am is
a bit late for anyone commuting to the city to drop by.

DaveB

[I think outrage is a little .. over the top, but certainly I'd agree if
you were a touch peeved about it. The website's editorial is clearly
written by an idiot.[/QUOTE]

yeah.. look.. i am just annoyed about it all. I wont be on the phone or emailing off to the Hun in a hurry about it. I was really peeved as my colleagues heard about the VFF breaky so "now" they are going to come along. I have spent weeks trying to talk people into riding in, to no avail. I just wonder how many other people will come along now..

I take on board all the cross branding and stuff and i have a healthy appreciation of how corporate back scratching and politics work as i work right in the middle of it.

I know that any publicity for the cause is good publicity i suppose. But be warned, i will be ranting on thursday if tomorrows news reel puts the emphasis on the VFF breakkie not the BV ride to work element.

On 2006-10-03, MalP <[email protected]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, the pigs were a little ... unavailable.

What's the difference between being involved, and being committed?

Consider a humble egg and bacon sandwich.

The chicken was involved.

The pig was committed.