Grip shift vs rapid fire

grip shift or rapid fire

• rapid fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • grip shift

Votes: 234 100.0%

• Total voters
First off, for who it may concern, I happen to use both.

Why anyone could have their grip shift shift by accident leads me to believe that there may indeed be a problem with the operator - NOT THE GRIP SHIFT! Whatever...

I have used both for so long and have never had any major issues that would lead me to believe the idea that one is obviously superior to the other.

Kind of like comparing Ford's versus Chevy's or Wintel versus Mac's.

Much flip-flop ado about nothing.

Whatever gets you though the night!

Originally posted by Greg-O
i used to have a bike with gripdshifts, and i loved them..... until i tried rapidfire. With gripshifts i would sometimes shift by accident.

it's really a preference though. It's a little hard to get used to having an up lever and a down lever at first.

My 2004 XT dual control kit have just arrived, so I'm dead keen to get them on my bike. I've always used Deore LX changers and have never had a problem with them. They always do the business. Lets see how the new system works.

I rode MTB seriously for a while in college before a bad wreck and I would swear by rapid fire over grip shifting any day. I started on an old Trek 800 without suspension and with grip shifters. Less than six months later I upgraded to a Specialized Hard Rock with a front fork and rapid fire shifters . . . the difference was night and day.

Although I ride road now, I have no hesitation recommending that you junk the grip shifter and go with the rapid fire.

Good luck.

Rapid fire, I've been told that with grip shift when wet or muddy is difficult to shift, it slips, specially if you're tired and your hands feel weak

Rapid Fire for me. I have smashed several sets of gripshifters apart. They were lower end junk.

attachment.php

the rapid firers i have,came with my bike got free deore brake levers but no shifters,stuck with them for now,wouldnt go back to graip shift

What derailleur do you have? Is it the front, rear, or both? Did you consider that SRAM now makes two trigger shifters? You might want to know that the current X.9 and X.0 rear deraileurs are very light and very crisp shifting. They also are compact and have fewer moving parts. Get what you like. I personally like Gripshift for the front derailleur and trigger shift for the rear. Eliminating chainrub on the front derailleur is never a problem w/ gripshift.

I would have to vote for the Rapid fire. My old gitchigoomee came with grip shifts, and they worked well. But my New Tassajara came with Rapid fires and I definitely prefer them. :)

Rapid fire: crispy, fast, clean, precise shifting.

Haven't seen any MTB racer around here using grip shift (maybe some novice), everybody uses rapid fire.

RAPID FIRE!!... but really like the new Dual Control levers. SRAM ESP gripshift (like the 9.0SL) worked great, crisp and on time, but never really meshes well with other stuff.

If you think that GripShift is great just because you can eliminate front derailleur rub then you need a better mechanic to setup your derailleur :)

I have the GripShift X-Rays (circa '94?) on my Attitude (moved them to it when I bought the frame - even junked the rapid fires that came with the Attitude (XT)) and have never had a single problem with them. I absolutely love being able to put the front derailleur exactly where I want it do avoid the rubbing, and being able to shift almost all of the gears at once on the rear has saved me a couple times on the trail.

It's just a preference, get what feels best to you (my wife loves Rapid Fire).

Rapid fire shift all the way.
i used the grip shift, but then i felt rapid shift, and so much easier.

my parents bought me a grip shift bike though. and refused to get me a rapid fire one. kinda pisses me off.

my last two bikes have been rapid fire, no turning back whatsoever, i just find it much better when riding hard, changing gears through rapid faire

my rapid fir shimano altus has never failed me for 8 years. its still the best shifter i have tried.

jggraham said:
My grip shift has fallen apart off my iron horse g-out. Sholud i replace it with new gripshift or rapid fire?

I have tried my friends rapid fire and it felt a lot better than gripshift and my gripshift used to change gears sometimes, are all grip shift like that or did i get a **** one?

I see that it has been a year since you posted. Still looking :cool: ? I doubt it. Which way did you go?

Myself, I raced a lot in Arizona where it's very rocky. I considered gripshift, but there are too many sections of trails where you need to maintain a firm hold on the handlebars, yet need to shift up/down. I could imagine many places where I can shift with the rapid-fires and not the grip-shifts. No-brainer for me.

I prefer the rapid fire. I tend not to accidentaly shift gears on hard climbs with them, where with my old grip shifters that used to happen alot.

jggraham said:
My grip shift has fallen apart off my iron horse g-out. Sholud i replace it with new gripshift or rapid fire?

I have tried my friends rapid fire and it felt a lot better than gripshift and my gripshift used to change gears sometimes, are all grip shift like that or did i get a **** one?

Not so fast!!! I'm a fulltime bike wrench in California's Marin County - the birthplace of mountain biking - and I'm amazed by the lock-step litany of praise for rapid-fire over gripshift. I've overhauled literally thousands of mountain bikes over the past six years...and in that time have come to fully appreciate SRAM and gripshift. My downhill bike sports SRAM 9.0 ESP gripshift with matching rear derailleur...and I wouldn't take rapid fire if you bought it for me. ESP shifting is tight and quick and has NEVER shifted on its own...even flying down "Repack" on Mt. Tamalpias!! Word is SRAM's X.0 is even better. Don't just listen to anyone here...find a LBS that has both and try them both. i think you may be pleasantly surprised by higher end gripshifters!!!

cheers
michael