Groove in the side of a 1998 Mavic X138 Rim

I have noticed a groove in one side of my X138 rear rims dating back to
1998 when they came with my Kona Lava Dome. Is this serious wear due to
braking, or is it a wear indicator?

I had a new drive train fitted by a good bike shop who serious clean
the bike up and gave it a good going over and have only done less than
30miles since then. Presumably this would have been there then.

I am concerned that my rim could be ready to go big style. IS this a
normal wear pattern>?

[email protected] wrote:
> I have noticed a groove in one side of my X138 rear rims dating back to
> 1998 when they came with my Kona Lava Dome. Is this serious wear due to
> braking, or is it a wear indicator?
>
> I had a new drive train fitted by a good bike shop who serious clean
> the bike up and gave it a good going over and have only done less than
> 30miles since then. Presumably this would have been there then.
>
> I am concerned that my rim could be ready to go big style. IS this a
> normal wear pattern>?

Wear indicators (dots or groove) are often painted black inside, so you
can tell the difference.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Lou Holtman wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have noticed a groove in one side of my X138 rear rims dating back to
> > 1998 when they came with my Kona Lava Dome. Is this serious wear due to
> > braking, or is it a wear indicator?
> >
> > I had a new drive train fitted by a good bike shop who serious clean
> > the bike up and gave it a good going over and have only done less than
> > 30miles since then. Presumably this would have been there then.
> >
> > I am concerned that my rim could be ready to go big style. IS this a
> > normal wear pattern>?
> >

> Wear indicators (dots or groove) are often painted black inside, so you
> can tell the difference.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Thanks for the response...not what I was hoping to hear...but it looks
too perfect..what could cause such an even looking groove. I am worried
now that the rim could give way!

[email protected] wrote:

>>>I have noticed a groove in one side of my X138 rear rims dating back to
>>>1998 when they came with my Kona Lava Dome. Is this serious wear due to
>>>braking, or is it a wear indicator?

If you look around with a search engine, you ought to be able to find a
photo and/or diagram of the X138. The photos I have seen show smooth
sided rims. Another thought: Why would a wear groove just be on one side?

Thanks.

Took it to my LBS who are now building and fitting the equivalent
Mavic, it was in a pretty serious state. Looks like something got had
been stuck in the V Brakes and worn the groove out. Apparently they
have the wear indicator on the inside.