Group rides or ride alone

Oh that scenario.

If you like to ride with assholes then thats your business.

If there is a asshole behind the counter and they have trouble making proper change to the person then thats a bad dumb.

An asshole is like an opinion, every body has one.

The greek interpretation of asshole is exit only.

'If a bike group wants to incorporate assholes into there club thats there business but its the individuals choice if they want to make friends and become the asshole too.' Oscar the crump grouch

Originally Posted by Volnix .

I was immidiately picked on for not wearing shorts and a jersey (allthough it really didnt matter to be honest as some of the guys there were hideously fat) and also picked on for various other things, like shoes etc...

They ride some crappy roads and they even start using heart monitors and other **** which just kinda makes me a bit sick.

So I told them that what they are doing is not that "nice" and booom... They showed their real colours starting to insult me and talking really bad to me.
Then picking on you for not kitting out is not cool.

You picking on them for wearing heart monitors isn't cool either.

So it sounds like it was a bit of back-and-forth with the badness, although admittedly by your account they started it.

It sounds like a classic new guy fear. What I mean is that the group fears the new guy because they don't know the new guy what there skills and abilities are. By not conforming to there 'way' of wearing there jerseys and shorts a certain way or shaving the new guys legs with there 'special' brand of razors, the group will not accept the new guy until they see the conformance taking place.

The new guy is perpetrating a crime against the group because they are not conforming to there certain standards that are imposed by the group.

Originally Posted by Hillrider .

It sounds like a classic new guy fear. What I mean is that the group fears the new guy because they don't know the new guy what there skills and abilities are. By not conforming to there 'way' of wearing there jerseys and shorts a certain way or shaving the new guys legs with there 'special' brand of razors, the group will not accept the new guy until they see the conformance taking place.

The new guy is perpetrating a crime against the group because they are not conforming to there certain standards that are imposed by the group.
[SIZE= 13px]I know all about the "new guy syndrome" and I am f@cking bored of it...[/SIZE]

It's the 'new guy' syndrome, pretty much in any social setting...the new guy is going to be hyper sensitive to any perceived slight, and the group is going to mostly reluctantly accept the new guy. That's just how it is, we all do it. Maybe something was said, maybe something wasn't...it doesn't matter. I went into my local club, kept my mouth shut - and over time everyone was my friend. Time is the key....good luck

Ask the whole group what type of razor they use to shave themselves with then act like You use the same kind, whatever the majority answers. At least You will be conforming with a few of your new 'friends' and You can also see who uses the female brands, those are the people you probably dont want to get to know, kinda gay.

IMO riding with 2, 3 or 4 others is a big enough group. But the question to ask is "what do I want to get most out of a group ride?" If it's social, by all means, ride with a group. But if what you seek is fitness or stamina, then I suggest riding alone. I set time and distance goals and push myself to meet those. I can change plans at the last minute to meet my schedule and not have to worry about how that affects others. And riding solo allows me to ride in places where a group ride would not be a welcome sight to motorists. If you truly love to ride, it doesn't matter whether you are with people or not. Just do it (hmm...seems I've heard that somewhere)

You heard that from Nike. "just do it" .

Tiger Woods is a good spokesman for Nike because He "Just does it".

Originally Posted by Hillrider .

You heard that from Nike. "just do it" .

Tiger Woods is a good spokesman for Nike because He "Just does it".
There was one with tiger woods but couldnt find it...

I have only ever cycled alone or with a friend (twice). Mainly due to my own shyness, it's hard to put myself into a group of strangers who are probably stronger riders than I am! I have cycled with a few friends but find myself with many friends who are not in great shape to keep up. My goal in the next year is to get into a group ride, but I do find I love the "me time" with just me and the road.