B a r r y said:On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:18:39 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>
Quoted message said:Display resolution from one Etrex model to the next is not the same.
Etrex: 128 x 64
Etrex Venture: 288 x 160Where did he ask about the yellow eTrex?
I was using it as an example; but I stand corrected -- I thought
there were multiple 8mb and/or multiple 24mb models. There are not.
Quoted message said:The OP stated that he thought the Venture has a better screen than the
Vista. They are identical.
He did not name any models, but the models in question would
actually be the Legend and the Vista. The Venture only has 1mb
memory but does have the same high-res screen as both the Legend and
Vista.
Quoted message said:Why confuse him?
Because I screwed up.
Anyway, that comparator that I linked in my previous post offers a
lot of nice info about Garmin's products.
The Vista, for MSRP $107 more than the Legend, appears to only
differ in the memory (24mb vs. 8mb), but that is a big difference if
you're going to need to download a lot of maps -- probably not
worthwhile for bicycling, except maybe self-sufficient extended
cross-country touring...but then you might be carrying a laptop
anyway. 😉
That said, and to answer the OP's question, I believe the 8mb model
would be more than sufficient for day trips, and even regional
touring. The maps for my Garmin Ique 3600 (PDA/GPS in one) have, I
think, very much more detail (along with street maps, phone/address
books including most businesses, and all sorts of other stuff), and
fit in 32mb about as much as I would _drive_ in a day. For simple
street maps of a one or two hundred mile radius, 8mb will probably
suffice. There must be hard data on this somewhere, though, and it
may be worthwhile to find that before making a decision.
As it relates to the Venture (and straying from the OP's question),
the Legend looks like a great deal -- MSRP only $20 more than the
Venture, comes with 8mb (vs 1mb) and a bunch more software, and
supports more tracklog points and more waypoints per route. I don't
know if it has the "best fishing & hunting times" feature found in
the Venture, but I'm probably the only person who's ever used
that...
--
Rick Onanian