Handlebar size

DCWD

Aug 5, 2005
So I'm thinking I'm gonna (that's like: going to) do some time trials this year and aim (plan to) purchase some clip-on aero bars. Found reasonable deals but the issue is that one option fits 25.8mm bars and another fits 26mm bars. The spec on my 1998 Trek 5200 says that what I've got is an ICON 2014 bar. ...but nowhere online can I find out how bit around it is. Anybody got an idea?

26 is just a lazy way of saying 25.8. The diameter of the part where the aero bars are going to clamp on is all the same.

If 25.8 and 26.0 are the same, then why does Nitto sell their Technomic stems with these two different clamp sizes?

It must make a difference to someone. ;)

If 25.8 and 26.0 are the same, then why does Nitto sell their Technomics stems in both 25.8 and 26.0 clamp sizes?

;)

dgregory57 said:
If 25.8 and 26.0 are the same, then why does Nitto sell their Technomic stems with these two different clamp sizes?

It must make a difference to someone. ;)

26 is the official size. 25.8 is a non-standard size. There is also a non-standard size smaller to the 25.8 which is 25.4 (i think). Someone came up with a 25.8 to be usable to both 25.4 and 26.

Nitto is a proper 26 size (a vernier caliper will tell that). This size will be hard to fit on a quill-type stem thats spec at 25.8 or even more on the 25.4 (obviously).

Thanks fellas. My second favorite thing about cycling: the learning will never end. But my basic question is answered. ...I can probably make 'em fit.