Handlebar Tape

Russ Reynolds

Mar 10, 2007
I've just setup and positioned my shifters and now it's time to wrap on some tape. Never done it before, looks easy. I'm sure some people just 'wrap it on' but I'm also sure there is a few trips and traps to get a good result. Helpful advice greatly appreciated.

Call me silly but I've never used gloves for this. Go slow, and use the stuff w/o backing double-sided tape so you can wrap, un-wrap, etc. It takes a few trys to get the wrap right around the drops. Pull the tape fairly hard, but careful not to tear. And I've never liked the tape that comes with most wrap...electrical tape is much better for finishing the ends.

On this topic, I've been having big trouble with the bar end plug coming out whenever the bike is lain against a wall. Anyone have a good solution for this problem other than laboriously filing off most of the plug flange?

artemidorus said:
On this topic, I've been having big trouble with the bar end plug coming out whenever the bike is lain against a wall. Anyone have a good solution for this problem other than laboriously filing off most of the plug flange?
Get the old fashion bar end plugs with the screw that you tighten

artemidorus said:
===========================================================
I glue mine in - works fine. :)

Start at the bar end wrap tape so its flush with openings, don't try to tuck tape into bar opening. To fit plugs just wrap some tape around them so you achieve a tight fit. At the stem end use some electrical tape to finish Good luck