Handlebars Anatomic or Shallow ?

EasyDoesIt

Apr 11, 2005
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new set of handlebars, have a set of Deda 215's shallow but i want to go for wider ones (44), the ones i have are 42. I like the 215's i have, but i'm tempted by the anatomical ones and i'm wondering does anyone have any experience with them ? The reach on the anatomical ones seems to be more but it doesn't look more cos of the shape, i definately don't want the reach to be anymore than what's on my shallow bars at the mo.

Thanks in advance

EasyDoesIt said:
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new set of handlebars, have a set of Deda 215's shallow but i want to go for wider ones (44), the ones i have are 42. I like the 215's i have, but i'm tempted by the anatomical ones and i'm wondering does anyone have any experience with them ? The reach on the anatomical ones seems to be more but it doesn't look more cos of the shape, i definately don't want the reach to be anymore than what's on my shallow bars at the mo.

Thanks in advance

Bar shape is kind of like saddle preference in that it is individual fit that is the most important. Personally, I prefer a non-anatomical shaped bar as I think that you actually get more flexibility of hand positions with the non-anatomical bars. If you look at the pro peloton, you will see that most (but not all) of the riders are also riding conventional curved bars.

EasyDoesIt said:
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Try out anatomic first before you buy coz lever reach on anatomics is more compared to normal Italian-bend-style bars (specially those with small hands or short fingers).

hd reynolds said:
Try out anatomic first before you buy coz lever reach on anatomics is more compared to normal Italian-bend-style bars (specially those with small hands or short fingers).
Sounds like it's the Italian bend for me then don't want to have to reach further for the brakes !!