Handling My Handle Bars

7PinkFlowerz

Aug 27, 2011
[COLOR= #ff0099]Good Morning All :)[/COLOR]​
[COLOR= #ff0099]I recently started back riding a bike and got a very rude and uncomfortable awakening yesterday. Im roughly 5'2 and I have a 26' bike, I had a hard time getting myself started because althought the seat was down i had to lean all the way forward to reach the handlebars which in return made it almost impossible for me to keep control of the bike. Im not giving up but for fear of falling and breaking my neck please help me figure out how I can adjust the handle bars and/or seat so that I can be more comfortable...... [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff0099]Thankz[/COLOR]​
[COLOR= #ff0099]Pink Flowerz[/COLOR]​
[COLOR= #ff0099][/COLOR]​

Pink, the bottom line is.....that bike is too big for you!

When you have time, why don't you visit some of the bike shops in your area and test ride a few bikes. That'll help you learn what size you need and then you can decide what to do with your current bike...ie trade, sell, etc....

[COLOR= #ff3399]Thanks Paramount[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff3399]i've tried other sizes but they seemed too small.... im thinking maybe i need new legs lol.... i have a guy who has a shop and i tried a 24' bike that didnt fit it was too small :( he is going to help me do some adjusting tomorrow on the bike... i hope that works :([/COLOR]

Originally Posted by 7PinkFlowerz .

[COLOR= #ff3399]Thanks Paramount[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #ff3399]i've tried other sizes but they seemed too small.... im thinking maybe i need new legs lol.... i have a guy who has a shop and i tried a 24' bike that didnt fit it was too small :( he is going to help me do some adjusting tomorrow on the bike... i hope that works :([/COLOR]

I hope that works for you too, but I think your going to have trouble adjusting a bike that size to fit you.

Think about it....you already have to lower the saddle as low as it will go to fit your leg length and then you still have an uncomfortable stretch to reach the handlebars.

If you had a smaller size ( it would be smaller in both height and length ), you would probably raise the saddle till it's 4 to 6 inches above it's lowest point to fit your legs, and the shorter length of the bike would allow you to comfortably reach the handle bars.

You can adjust a bike that is a little too small for you to fit, or you can adjust a bike that's a little too big to fit....but, a bike that is way too small or way too big is never going to feel right.

I really think you need to try some smaller bikes that are adjusted properly for you.

Good luck! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif