Energy Bars/Nutrition Bars?????

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, just purchased a Trek 7100(haven't had it out because its snowing again in Michigan). I need to get fit, lose weight(40#) - 50 yrs old and have a permanent knee injury. I just started Weight Watchers on my own. My questions how many of you eat the so called energy bars/protein bars and which ones are good? And do you eat them as a meal replacement or a snack in between meals. Its been so long since I've been doing any kind of serious training/work out(back in the 80s/90s I was a jogger and cyclist - but not much the last 10 yrs). Thanks.

Energy bars are a good way to get calories when you are on the go but I would avoid them as a nutritional source when at home. 40 lbs is a lot of weight to loose and it could take up to two years. Dedication and hard work are the order of the day. As a female you should try to keep your caloric intake under 1800 cals/day. Thirty minutes/day of aerobic exercise is also a must. Try and eat six small meals a day as apposed to three with between meal snacks. Try and consume protien 60/40 over carbs. Good lean protien like white meat chicken, fish, egg whites. Egg beaters are great, you can eat half a small carton and get 24 grams of protien at 120 cals, really fills you up. Toss in some spinich too. Stay away from foods with a high GI (glysemic index.)

I know that's more than you asked for but I love to talk about it.

Be sure and keep the thread updated on your progress.

BTW some folks advise not weighing yourself every day but I find it a great motivator...

I love the Clif Bars. They offer a nice combo of carbs and protein with some good nutrition. Typically around 250 cals per bar, around 10 gm protein, 40 gm carbs, and 4 gm fiber.

Chocolate chip is very tasty. I also like oatmeal raisin. Peanut butter chocolate chip is pretty good too.

I use these as snacks and as meal replacements. If I am getting ready for a long-ish ride (20 miles or greater), I'll eat at least one about 45 min. to an hour beforehand. If I am riding a really long ride (>40 miles and beyond), I'll eat a couple to start with, then use Gu gel packs to supplement myself along the way.