General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Started by Donal Fagan · · Last activity · 37 posts · 2,241 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 March 2004
Last activity
20 March 2004
Original author
Donal Fagan
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,241
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–37 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    And how do you feel about the IRA, who have killed more
    people in


    terrorist

    Quoted message said:

    bombings than Al Quieda ? Maybe you've not heard of them
    though, the Brits just got on with it,


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    didn't declare war on the world the way the USA did when
    they got hurt. The IRA, a major terrorist organisation
    have been finance primarily from


    the

    Quoted message said:

    USA for over 100 years, and still are. Makes you proud
    to be Irish- American does it? Try visiting Northern
    Ireland sometime and touch reality, it may change


    your

    Quoted message said:

    way of thinking.

    Been there, done that. I don't have anything to do with
    thugs. I can only be proud/embarrassed by things I've done--
    not things other people have


    done.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't believe in collective guilt.

    And, I did visit Northern Ireland. It sure showed me how
    the Catholics


    have

    Quoted message said:

    been discriminated against, and I'm not even Catholic!

    Pat in TX

    I felt a bit discriminated against when I nearly got killed
    by the Guildhall Bomb. I don't like the UDA either, nor any
    of those thugs, but I didn't start this nonsense about
    St.Patrick's day.

  2. "Donal Fagan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:33:47 -0600, "Pat" snip< . Donal
    Fagan AIA


    . Is that a typo for Donal Fagan CIA ??

  3. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    sniop<


    .> The mistake you are making and have made is to assume
    that there is one

    Quoted message said:

    monolithic idea in the US on any problem in the world. If
    some Irish Americans send money to the IRA, it doesn't
    mean that is the face of US policy. People are individuals
    in this country, not robots in lockstep


    with

    Quoted message said:

    any one ideology or government position. And, a blanket
    "they were not interested in any measures to prevent
    terrorism" is just childish


    boasting.

    Quoted message said:

    Why? Because you simply do not know what is going on in
    this huge country.

    But you have only one Government to speak for you and its
    voice is all that the world hears.

  4. duncanheenan says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Donal Fagan AIA

    Quoted message said:

    Is that a typo for Donal Fagan CIA ??

    No. I'm in the American Institute of Architects, not the
    Culinary Institute of America.

    Don't mess with those CIA guys if you ever want to eat a
    decent meal again.

  5. Quoted message said:

    I felt a bit discriminated against when I nearly got
    killed by the


    Guildhall

    Quoted message said:

    Bomb. I don't like the UDA either, nor any of those thugs,
    but I didn't start


    this

    Quoted message said:

    nonsense about St.Patrick's day.

    What "nonsense" would that be? Saying Happy St. Patrick's
    Day? Where's the crime in that? What other holidays do you
    have a grudge against?

    Pat in TX

  6. duncanheenan says...

    Quoted message said:

    But you have only one Government to speak for you and its
    voice is all that the world hears.

    So this newsgroup is chopped liver?

  7. Because you simply do not know what is going on in this
    huge country.

    Quoted message said:


    But you have only one Government to speak for you and its
    voice is all


    that

    Quoted message said:

    the world hears.

    Uh, no. That's not all. You make it sound as if we are on an
    island and no one else hears anything but what the
    government pronounces. Are you really that daft? You think
    there are no television sets, no radios, no magazines, no
    books, no motion pictures, no songs, no people traveling
    between here and other countries, no relatives in other
    countries, etc. etc. that people in other countries get
    information from?

    Pat in TX

  8. "Donal Fagan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    duncanheenan says...

    Quoted message said:

    But you have only one Government to speak for you and its
    voice is all that the world hears.

    So this newsgroup is chopped liver?


    Confucius he say " Man who decries alphabet soup, will eat
    his own words eventually".

  9. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Because you simply do not know what is going on in this
    huge country.

    Quoted message said:


    But you have only one Government to speak for you and
    its voice is all


    that

    Quoted message said:

    the world hears.

    Uh, no. That's not all. You make it sound as if we are on
    an island and no one else hears anything but what the
    government pronounces. Are you


    really

    Quoted message said:

    that daft? You think there are no television sets, no
    radios, no


    magazines,

    Quoted message said:

    no books, no motion pictures, no songs, no people
    traveling between here


    and

    Quoted message said:

    other countries, no relatives in other countries, etc.
    etc. that people in other countries get information from?

    Those noises get drowned out by the roar of jets and the
    sound of the exploding bombs they drop. There were plenty of
    good Germans who hated [censored], but we don't remember them
    much do we? Actions speak louder than words.

  10. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I felt a bit discriminated against when I nearly got
    killed by the


    Guildhall

    Quoted message said:

    Bomb. I don't like the UDA either, nor any of those
    thugs, but I didn't start


    this

    Quoted message said:

    nonsense about St.Patrick's day.

    What "nonsense" would that be? Saying Happy St. Patrick's
    Day? Where's


    the

    Quoted message said:

    crime in that? What other holidays do you have a grudge
    against?

    Pat in TX

    The 'nonsense' in St.Patrick's day exists in the many
    Americans who celebrate it as a symbol of their Irish
    allegiance, based on nothing but folk myths which are
    irrelevant and misleading regarding the current situation in
    Ireland. Too many are like the man I met in a bar in Boston
    Mass. who said he was 'Irish', but when I asked him where he
    came from he admitted that he'd never been to Ireland, and
    in fact it was only 2 of his grandparents who have come from
    Ireland, but based on that alone he contributed to the IRA
    because 'they stood up for Ireland'. Such was his depth of
    understanding of the realities of modern Ireland & Britain.
    I do not believe he was an isolated case, and the IRA are
    very clever at exploiting the naivety of their supporters. I
    would suggest that if they're that keen to be Irish, they go
    and live there for a few years (don't just go and do the
    tourist thing), they'd soon change their minds I expect. I
    am not anti-Irish, but I am anti-IRA. And anti RIRA, PIRA,
    UDA, UDF, UFF etc. etc..and all the mad murderous [censored]
    who make life there a misery for too many folk. I sound a
    bit bitter don't I? Well, having people try to blow you up,
    and kill or maim your friends makes you like that. It is
    time their supporters realised what they are supporting.
    Happy Easter.

  11. Duncan Heenan said:

    Happy Easter.


    Oh-oh. Let's hear it for all the unborn chicks. To say
    nothing of the chocolate-coated crucifixes, the
    unbiodegradable plastic grass, the murdered pigs with insecticide-
    coated apples shoved in their broken jaws.

    It's way too easy to find fault with any holiday. If you
    think St.Patrick's day is political, then you're missing the
    true meaning: green beer, a rowdy parade, green or orange
    clothes, general silliness. My own attitude toward all
    holidays is the same. If it is celebrated with food, it's a
    good day. The holidays with the best food win my allegiance.
    To hell with their meaning, political or otherwise.

    Ruth Kazez

  12. rtk said:

    My own attitude toward all holidays is the same. If it is
    celebrated with food, it's a good day.

    Hear! Hear! ... Huzzay!

    Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name
    to reply by e-mail)

  13. On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:48:11 -0000, "Duncan
    Heenan" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Confucius he say " Man who decries alphabet soup, will eat
    his own words eventually".

    Somehow I doubt Master Kung ever spoke of 'alphabet' soup.
    But that begs the question: Do Asians eat 'character' soup?

    Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name
    to reply by e-mail)

  14. Quoted message said:

    The 'nonsense' in St.Patrick's day exists in the many
    Americans who celebrate it as a symbol of their Irish
    allegiance, based on nothing but folk myths which are
    irrelevant and misleading regarding the current situation
    in Ireland. Too many are like the man I met in a bar in
    Boston Mass. who said he was 'Irish', but when I asked him
    where he came from he admitted that he'd never been to
    Ireland, and in fact it was only 2 of his grandparents who
    have come from Ireland, but based on that alone he
    contributed to the IRA because 'they stood up for
    Ireland'. Such was his depth of understanding of the
    realities of modern Ireland & Britain. I do not believe he
    was an isolated case, and the IRA are very clever at
    exploiting the naivety of their supporters. I would
    suggest that if


    they're

    Quoted message said:

    that keen to be Irish, they go and live there for a few
    years (don't just


    go

    Quoted message said:

    and do the tourist thing), they'd soon change their minds
    I expect. I am not anti-Irish, but I am anti-IRA. And anti
    RIRA, PIRA, UDA, UDF, UFF etc. etc..and all the mad
    murderous [censored] who make life there a misery for too
    many folk. I sound a bit bitter don't I? Well, having
    people try


    to

    Quoted message said:

    blow you up, and kill or maim your friends makes you like
    that. It is time their supporters realised what they are
    supporting. Happy Easter.

    Yeah, you do sound bitter. You are extrapolating what the
    entire country feels from talking to one guy in Boston. Give
    it a rest. If you think you have the stamina to go online
    every year at St. Patrick's Day to try and torpedo
    everyone's holiday, not only are you sadly mistaken, but
    you're sort of deranged. Instead of changing the way people
    think--or the way YOU think people think--you're only
    isolating yourself as a sorry bloke. And I do mean "sorry"
    in the way we say it here in Texas.

    Pat in TX

  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Uh, no. That's not all. You make it sound as if we are
    on an island and


    no one else hears anything but what the government
    pronounces. Are you

    Quoted message said:

    really that daft? You think there are no television sets,
    no radios, no magazines, no books, no motion pictures, no
    songs, no people traveling


    between here and other countries, no relatives in other
    countries, etc. etc. that people in other countries get
    information from?

    Pat in TX

    Quoted message said:

    Those noises get drowned out by the roar of jets and the
    sound of the exploding bombs they drop. There were plenty
    of good Germans who hated [censored], but we don't remember
    them much do we? Actions speak louder than words.

    Oh man, you ARE sick. and pathetic. Now go crawl back under
    your rock of hate.

    Pat in TX

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Duncan Heenan said:

    Happy Easter.


    Oh-oh. Let's hear it for all the unborn chicks. To say
    nothing of the chocolate-coated crucifixes, the
    unbiodegradable plastic grass, the murdered pigs with insecticide-
    coated apples shoved in their broken jaws.

    It's way too easy to find fault with any holiday. If you
    think St.Patrick's day is political, then you're missing
    the true meaning: green beer, a rowdy parade, green or
    orange clothes, general silliness. My own attitude toward
    all holidays is the same. If it is celebrated with food,
    it's a good day. The holidays with the best food win my
    allegiance. To hell with their meaning, political or
    otherwise.

    Ruth Kazez

    Any day with predictable bodily functions is a holiday by
    definition for
    me.

    - Al

  17. Quoted message said:

    Any day with predictable bodily functions is a holiday by
    definition for
    me.

    - Al

    I have fond memories of my years in Germany: they celebrated
    all the Catholic holidays plus all the Protestant ones. The
    more the better!

    Pat in TX

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.