Hardtail recommendation?

David Bonnell

Guest
Hi all,

I want to build a hardtail, but there are a few points I'm unclear
on. I figured I would post a couple of questions here to help me
prepare for a chat with my LBS. I have never built a bicycle from
scratch before, but I have done complete rebuilds of my current
bicycles.

Questions:

1) Frame choice. I want to buy an off-the-shelf (non-custom) frame.
I find the Giant XtC geometry suits me pretty well. How do I go about
selecting a fork to complement the frame? Are there any guidelines?

2) I'm told that my current headset cannot be replaced (integrated/
internal type). I would like to avoid this for my next bike, but I'm
not sure what options are available (particularly since this seems
tightly coupled with frame choice).

I'm pretty comfortable with the rest (drivetrain, brakes, wheels,
etc.). However, if there are any not-so-obvious "gotchas" to look out
for, I would appreciate any information you'd like to pass on.

Cheers,
Dave

"David Bonnell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I want to build a hardtail, but there are a few points I'm unclear
> on. I figured I would post a couple of questions here to help me
> prepare for a chat with my LBS. I have never built a bicycle from
> scratch before, but I have done complete rebuilds of my current
> bicycles.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Frame choice. I want to buy an off-the-shelf (non-custom) frame.
> I find the Giant XtC geometry suits me pretty well. How do I go about
> selecting a fork to complement the frame? Are there any guidelines?
>
> 2) I'm told that my current headset cannot be replaced (integrated/
> internal type). I would like to avoid this for my next bike, but I'm
> not sure what options are available (particularly since this seems
> tightly coupled with frame choice).
>
> I'm pretty comfortable with the rest (drivetrain, brakes, wheels,
> etc.). However, if there are any not-so-obvious "gotchas" to look out
> for, I would appreciate any information you'd like to pass on.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

What are you going to use the bike for - xc, hucking, street, etc.? If you
like Giant XTC, that's a cross country frame, and you'll probably want a
80mm fork for such geometry.

A ton of XC framesets do not come with integrated headsets.

Steel or aluminum?

It all depends on what you want to do with the bike.

On May 10, 2:29 pm, David Bonnell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to build a hardtail, but there are a few points I'm unclear
> on. I figured I would post a couple of questions here to help me
> prepare for a chat with my LBS. I have never built a bicycle from
> scratch before, but I have done complete rebuilds of my current
> bicycles.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) Frame choice. I want to buy an off-the-shelf (non-custom) frame.
> I find the Giant XtC geometry suits me pretty well. How do I go about
> selecting a fork to complement the frame? Are there any guidelines?
>
> 2) I'm told that my current headset cannot be replaced (integrated/
> internal type). I would like to avoid this for my next bike, but I'm
> not sure what options are available (particularly since this seems
> tightly coupled with frame choice).
>
> I'm pretty comfortable with the rest (drivetrain, brakes, wheels,
> etc.). However, if there are any not-so-obvious "gotchas" to look out
> for, I would appreciate any information you'd like to pass on.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Xtc is a nice frame, a little low in the bottom bracket is good for
handling but if you have to hop a lot of logs it may become a
annoying. You could always use a bash ring. I think it has an internal
headset which is OK, it looks like an integrated but is totally
replacable.

Xtc takes a 100mm fork, it doesn't matter what brand but a XC fork
model will do the trick. Do not go longer than 100mm.

If you really want the Xtc you should just buy it prebuilt, it will
cost a lot less.

As far as other hardtails, there are a bazillion to choose from. Ask
the the LBS about warranties on the different brands that he sells. If
you crack it, will they back it?

Chris
Chris

> What are you going to use the bike for - xc, hucking, street, etc.?

This is meant as an XC steed. No need for big burly downhill
components or massive suspensions. I actually *like* the idea of a
rigid fork (no maintenance, lightweight), but that's not practical for
the riding I'll be doing.

> like Giant XTC, that's a cross country frame, and you'll probably want a
> 80mm fork for such geometry.

This is interesting. Another poster (Chris) mentioned that I wouldn't
want to go with more than 100mm. I would agree that I have no *need*
for any more travel, but I am curious as to why frame geometry affects
fork choice (hey, I might learn something here). I suppose it would
have to do with how much 'sag' is induced by a stationary rider. I
personally don't see much need for 100mm. As far as forks go, I want
something that is lightweight and easy to maintain. Sounds like a
tall order unless I shell out $$.

> Steel or aluminum?

Undecided. I've ridden both. The weight weenie in me is pushing for
a carbon frame, but even for light-duty off-roading I'm skeptical
about frame failure. I have had my aluminum frame for 6 years and
it's fine (but not confidence-inspiring for any drops > 2 feet). My
old GT steel bicycle didn't give me that sinking feeling (but it was
decidely heavier and cheap so I didn't mind abusing it). I want to
start with a *great* frame, get a decent fork, and build up from
there.

Cheers,
Dave

On May 11, 6:59 am, David Bonnell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am curious as to why frame geometry affects
> fork choice (hey, I might learn something here).

If you get a fork with more travel than the frame was designed for,
you'll slacken the head and seat tube angles. The more travel, the
higher the head tube needs to be, and that affects every dimension of
the frame.

On May 11, 1:22 pm, Hank Wirtz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 11, 6:59 am, David Bonnell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am curious as to why frame geometry affects
> > fork choice (hey, I might learn something here).

> If you get a fork with more travel than the frame was designed for,
> you'll slacken the head and seat tube angles. The more travel, the
> higher the head tube needs to be, and that affects every dimension of
> the frame.

Yes, and it goes both ways, if you put an 80mm on a bike designed for
a 100mm, it will make for twitchy steering and easy endos.

Chris