hardtail v full suspension

On 17 Jul 2006 15:24:50 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>- = k O e N s = - wrote:
>> moving from 24" bmx cruiser and want to get into mtb, no storage room
>> so can only have one bike so need an all rounder i can ride to work in
>> the city but also taek off road on the weekends.
>>
>> my mate suggests a short travel, and also suggested the SPECIALIZED sx
>> trail as a good starter bike.
>>
>> any suggestions?

>Sounds like you need a RIGID FORK mtb.
>Too bad it would be virtually impossible to get one.

They're fairly common. My next bike will likely be a rigid, single gear 29'r.

Ron

Michael Press wrote:

>In article <Zc_ug.203411$iF6.99687@pd7tw2no>,
> Michael Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Snippy Bobkins wrote:
>>

>>>"Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>How does one stand up, and lower one's C.O.G. in the process?
>>>

>>When standing, you are applying the load of the riders weight via the BB
>>vs the seat...although the riders centre of mass moves up slightly,
>>where it is applied to the bike is greatly lowered.
>>

>Center of mass and center of gravity are two names for the
>same point. Will you describe what you accomplish by
>moving the load from saddle to pedals? Thanks.

By moving where the mass acts through, the amount the mass moves off of
centre when then bike leans is reduced...it isn't actually moving he COG
/ COM, but rather reducing the movement of the COM/COG and makes the
bike more stable.

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:15:29 GMT, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <Zc_ug.203411$iF6.99687@pd7tw2no>,
> Michael Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Snippy Bobkins wrote:
>>
>> >"Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >How does one stand up, and lower one's C.O.G. in the process?
>> >

>> When standing, you are applying the load of the riders weight via the BB
>> vs the seat...although the riders centre of mass moves up slightly,
>> where it is applied to the bike is greatly lowered.

>Center of mass and center of gravity are two names for the
>same point. Will you describe what you accomplish by
>moving the load from saddle to pedals? Thanks.

Dear Michael,

Pegs and pedals are the same for bicyclists and motorcyclists, so
pardon the following.

Standing on the pegs does raise the center of gravity.

However, standing moves the effective point of control down to the
pegs, which are also broader than the seat.

And standing means that we balance on a pair of feet, which is
considerably easier than balancing on a pair of of buttocks.

Standing frees the hips to move much more for balance, which rough
stuff requires.

Most of all, standing increases the polar moment of inertia. A rider's
hips are roughly his center of gravity, so raising them makes
balancing much easier by simply moving them farther from the pegs.

The usual example is that it's hard to balance a short pencil upright
on the palm of your hand, but most of us can balance a yardstick that
way. The increased distance between the palm (pegs) and the center of
gravity of the stick (hips) is what makes it possible.

This is why trackstands are easier when standing instead of sitting,
and why trials riders stand to negotiate circus-style obstacles.

Modern trials motorcycles have effectively removed the seat, partly to
save weight, partly to allow more knee movement to the side, and
partly because seats served no purpose in competition:

Here's an old trials machine:

http://www.oldrice.com/TL250_Brochure_2.jpg

Here's a modern trials machine:

http://www.geocities.com/fn_owens/gasgas/0528.jpg

Compare the top contours, and you'll see that there's just empty space
where the seat used to be.

Trials bicycles got rid of seats much sooner. Here's a trials bicycle:

http://www.tryalsshop.com/ScorpaUSA/Bicycle/Bicycle-Photos-06/Bike-Top_lg.jpg

So much for the fuss about long seat tubes on compact frames!

In addition to balance control, standing also lets the rider use his
legs and arms as shock absorbers over rough stuff.

For bicycles, a further advantage is that the standing rider has
maxium leverage and power--we stand partly to make it easy to put our
weight on the pedal, but also because it straightens our bodies at the
hip--the closer we are to an normal upright posture, the harder we can
shove down.

For motorcycles, standing makes footing much more effective. You have
greater reach forward and sideways with either foot because of the
increased freedom. Sitting to paddle requires more and feebler dabs.
If you want to get over that ugly ledge-and-turn with only a single
penalty mark, you want to plant one foot well forward while standing
and lever around it.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article <YS8vg.208554$Mn5.110629@pd7tw3no>,
Michael Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> >In article <Zc_ug.203411$iF6.99687@pd7tw2no>,
> > Michael Halliwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>When standing, you are applying the load of the riders weight via the BB
> >>vs the seat...although the riders centre of mass moves up slightly,
> >>where it is applied to the bike is greatly lowered.

> >Center of mass and center of gravity are two names for the
> >same point. Will you describe what you accomplish by
> >moving the load from saddle to pedals? Thanks.
> >

> By moving where the mass acts through, the amount the mass moves off of
> centre when then bike leans is reduced...it isn't actually moving he COG
> / COM, but rather reducing the movement of the COM/COG and makes the
> bike more stable.

Check.

--
Michael Press

- = k O e N s = - wrote:
> moving from 24" bmx cruiser and want to get into mtb, no storage room
> so can only have one bike so need an all rounder i can ride to work in
> the city but also taek off road on the weekends.
>
> my mate suggests a short travel, and also suggested the SPECIALIZED sx
> trail as a good starter bike.

I would suggest the Stumpjumper FSR. Don't let it out of your sight, even
when locked up. Don't take big jumps unless you're smooth.

--
Phil Lee, Squid

Group: rec.bicycles.tech Date: Tue, Jul 18, 2006, 4:13am (EDT+4) From:
[email protected] (Snippy Bobkins)

>How does one stand up, and lower one's
>C.O.G. in the process?
>--
>Snippy

I's an innacurate figure of speach. the overall center of gravity
doesn't really change, but as far as the bike itself is concerned, the
rider's weight it transferred from the saddle to the bottom bracket.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

RonSonic wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2006 15:24:50 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >- = k O e N s = - wrote:
> >> moving from 24" bmx cruiser and want to get into mtb, no storage room
> >> so can only have one bike so need an all rounder i can ride to work in
> >> the city but also taek off road on the weekends.
> >>
> >> my mate suggests a short travel, and also suggested the SPECIALIZED sx
> >> trail as a good starter bike.
> >>
> >> any suggestions?

> >Sounds like you need a RIGID FORK mtb.
> >Too bad it would be virtually impossible to get one.

> They're fairly common. My next bike will likely be a rigid, single gear 29'r.

Sure, for singlespeeds. But good luck finding
a serious geared rigid fork trail bike in a bike shop.
Might be able to special order one. Ritchey doesn't
even make them anymore..

Robert

Bill Sornson wrote:

> Almost any LBS should have a fair selection of fully rigid mtb's. (I'm not
> up on current models, but certainly manufacturers like Giant, Specialized,
> Trek, etc. offer nice entry-level bikes without suspension.)
>
> I didn't really follow the thread; just replied to that one comment above.
> Rigid forks are still quite common.

You may be overstating here, Bill. My friend who is pretty serious about
his riding and very experienced took a long time until he found a solid
front end for his mtb purchased back in April. I think if you said to
him that rigid forks are common today, you'd have a fight of it.

-paul

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
> - = k O e N s = - wrote:
> > moving from 24" bmx cruiser and want to get into mtb, no storage room
> > so can only have one bike so need an all rounder i can ride to work in
> > the city but also taek off road on the weekends.
> >
> > my mate suggests a short travel, and also suggested the SPECIALIZED sx
> > trail as a good starter bike.

> I would suggest the Stumpjumper FSR. Don't let it out of your sight, even
> when locked up. Don't take big jumps unless you're smooth.
>
> --
> Phil Lee, Squid

I bought an FSR about a month ago, love it. You can not get a full
appreciation of how well the rear suspension works on a test ride.
It's great on the trails, and I don't notice the weight penalty when
climbing since it functions so effectively.

Scott