General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

HAT 50K

Started by Doug Freese · · Last activity · 24 posts · 1,263 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 March 2004
Last activity
1 April 2004
Original author
Doug Freese
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,263
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Robert Grumbine said:


    Personal variation is an amazing thing. A guy I know runs
    marathons
    and ultras (to 100k). For his 50 (and 50-ish -- London-
    Brighton) milers
    and the recent 100k (through the Egyptian desert), I don't
    think he went
    over 4 hours in training. Yet he brought home hardware from
    the 100k.

    Based on some of Steve C.'s comments, I think the French are
    believers in low-mileage training also. I'm not sure how
    they train their endocrine system though, if they don't
    stress it long enough. The 4 hrs in training might be
    enough, though - well, obviously, it was enough for the
    person you know 😉

    Quoted message said:


    He's also a reminder that personal variation applies to
    form. I don't think he runs on a 180 cadence, and he
    doesn't look like a gazelle in motion. But he has no
    problem knocking off marathons and up, very fast
    recovery, and runs a pretty quick race when he chooses
    to. We talked about form, and his approach is simple --
    one foot in front of the other, repeat quickly.

    One of the US men at World Mtn Running championsips looked
    positively horrible on the downhill - arms flailing all over
    the place. Not sure how he did.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  2. Robert Grumbine said:

    A hilly (to road runners) course.

    see what trails have done to you 😉

    Quoted message said:

    Good to see that you're still getting out for your hours
    of fun romping through the hinterlands.

    not as long as I'd like because of some foot problems, but I
    think I have a combination of things (running and
    strengthening weak muscles) that seems to be working for me
    - both physically and mentally (knock on wood). At least
    I've got some things bracketed and seem to be fine tuning at
    this stage.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Freese said:

    Dot wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    Personally I find 3 hours a little lean for a 50k but
    I've always been an advocate of 24-28 miles for a
    marathon. Three hours runs will get you to the finish
    line but likely a long day and a long recovery. As I've
    often said, time is important but quality is equally
    important. As a silly example three hours on a flat
    course for a hilly race is not ideal.

    Right. Last year when I first started to build, I was
    following conventional wisdom by building duration first,
    then adding hills. Then came to the realization, that
    these things use different muscles, so why worry about
    building totally flat time first (other than AT
    considerations). Steep hills weren't appropriate for my AT
    at the time, but gently rolling ones were far better
    training and also better for AT. And plain flat hurts
    also. The twists and turns of single track actually seem
    to be the most therapeutic this year.

    This year I'm just including hills as I go and including
    walk breaks for bad-footing snow, hills, or whatever. As I
    get stronger weekly, I either increase number or size of
    hills (not that big anyway, but they are the xc ski trail
    ones) and/or decrease the walk breaks and/or a slight
    increase in distance/time. What my body thinks it's ready
    for I give it (actually, what really happens is I forget
    to walk some of the hills). If it balks, I walk that
    portion. My body is much happier with this approach - both
    mentally and physically. When I get home, I feel like I've
    had a workout, *slight* DOMS (the good kind that says I
    did something) the next morning, rarely any after that. At
    least so far it's working (knock on wood), and I am
    backing down this weekend just for safety's sake.

    Quoted message said:


    for my first 50k last year, i did the run the flats and
    downs/walk the ups method. my goal was just to finish,
    not race competitively. i built up slowly to a long run
    of five hours on trails with a couple thousand elevation
    gain. did two four hour runs and one four and 1/2.
    walking the ups allows you to build quad strength while
    saving yourself for the later stages of the long run (at
    least it did for
    me). try this and you will build strength very, very quickly
    without the beating of those three or four hour straight
    runs on pavement.

  4. crafty counterpuncher said:

    Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote in message news:<Z%hac.1142$vo5.43422@bgtnsc05-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

    for my first 50k last year, i did the run the flats and
    downs/walk the ups method. my goal was just to finish,
    not race competitively. i built up slowly to a long run
    of five hours on trails with a couple thousand elevation
    gain. did two four hour runs and one four and 1/2.
    walking the ups allows you to build quad strength while
    saving yourself for the later stages of the long run (at
    least it did for
    me). try this and you will build strength very, very
    quickly without the beating of those three or four hour
    straight runs on pavement.

    Yep, I've definitely been noticing this 🙂 This is pretty
    much the approach I'm taking and strategy I'm planning for
    my next race (still short though). I've been running the
    smaller hills and walking the bigger ones (or maybe run
    halfway up, walk upper half). We've still got a fair amount
    of snow, so the footing isn't the best, but these last
    couple weeks have been without snowshoes (may put them back
    on tomorrow). I've also got a single track with about 3000
    ft up in about 2-2.5 miles, depending on who you believe. In
    summer, when I'm home, I'll hike that a couple times and try
    to keep the hr down below LT so I can move continuously.

    I've found the walking recoveries during a run (whether it's
    through deeply drifted snow, up a big hill, or checking map
    to explore a new trail) enable me to get a much longer
    workout in and substantially reduces recovery time. And as
    an added benefit, I really enjoy that type of training.

    I was just reading a book chapter by Karl King (in A Step
    Beyond: a Definitive Guide to Ultrarunning) on the
    physiological / economy rationale of a 25 min run / 5 min
    walk in a 24-hr race. The run/walker beat the run-only by
    2 miles for the National Championship. Both did PRs. So
    I'm very convinced of the value of an appropriate
    run/walk strategy.

    I run almost exclusively on trails now, unless the roads
    have enough snow cover to be trail-like, then I may use them
    for convenience.

    Thanks for your comments.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people" -Bernd
    Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.