He really is hardcore after all!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ant

    Ant Guest



  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

  3. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Tim McNamara writes:

    >> http://pantheon.yale.edu/~aaa37/portfolio/bikes/framebuild/tiretest2.jpg

    >> purely for entertainment purposes.

    > One tap of the brakes and it would have been all over. Jobst, how fast were you going in
    > this turn?

    The picture you see at that web site is not to scale (horizontal to vertical) so the lean angle has
    been jacked around. The correct picture looks different at:

    http://tinyurl.com/a8zs

    I take that turn that way every time I come down Haskins hill toward Pescadero. It's about 35mph. In
    fact both brakes are applied as is always the case when cornering at max speed. If you are not going
    too fast than you are too slow.

    http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.15.html

    Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
     
  5. jobst brandt wrote:

    > Tim McNamara writes:
    >
    >>> http://pantheon.yale.edu/~aaa37/portfolio/bikes/framebuild/tiretest2.jpg
    >
    >>> purely for entertainment purposes.
    >
    >> One tap of the brakes and it would have been all over. Jobst, how fast were you going in
    >> this turn?
    >
    > The picture you see at that web site is not to scale (horizontal to vertical) so the lean angle
    > has been jacked around.

    In fact, you've been digitally cut out and repasted at a different angle. If you look closely you
    can see the blurring in the background around your body.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    It was a brave man that ate the first oyster.
     
  6. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I noticed that while trying to pass a peloton of bikes on some backroads down here in socal. Coming
    down the backside of Mt. Laguna, those guys were pushing 60, and surprised me at how fast they could
    go. I was on a Honda CBR600F3 at the time. No way I would've kept up in a car.

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Tim McNamara writes:
    >
    >>> http://pantheon.yale.edu/~aaa37/portfolio/bikes/framebuild/tiretest2.jpg
    >
    >>> purely for entertainment purposes.
    >
    >> One tap of the brakes and it would have been all over. Jobst, how fast were you going in
    >> this turn?
    >
    > The picture you see at that web site is not to scale (horizontal to vertical) so the lean angle
    > has been jacked around. The correct picture looks different at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a8zs
    >
    > I take that turn that way every time I come down Haskins hill toward Pescadero. It's about 35mph.
    > In fact both brakes are applied as is always the case when cornering at max speed. If you are not
    > going too fast than you are too slow.
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.15.html
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody. It doesn't generate revenue. (Dave '-ddt->` Taylor,
    announcing DOOM for Linux)
     
  7. I remember that picture! A bike tire manufacturer (Speecialized?) used to use it for their bald tire
    adds (first one son the modern market, I believe).

    May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

    Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner
     
  8. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I remember that picture! A bike tire manufacturer (Speecialized?) used to use it for their bald
    > tire adds (first one son the modern market,
    I
    > believe).

    He did ads for Avocet, which made the first "modern" slick bike tire. The Specialized Turbos were
    not bald, and they were not marketed as high traction tires. They were marketed as being impossible
    to mount -- and really cheap if you knew someone who worked in the warehouse. -- Jay Beattie.
     
  9. Kendall

    Kendall Guest

    No helmet Jobst?

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Tim McNamara writes:
    >
    > >>
    http://pantheon.yale.edu/~aaa37/portfolio/bikes/framebuild/tiretest2.jpg
    >
    > >> purely for entertainment purposes.
    >
    > > One tap of the brakes and it would have been all over. Jobst, how fast were you going in
    > > this turn?
    >
    > The picture you see at that web site is not to scale (horizontal to vertical) so the lean angle
    > has been jacked around. The correct picture looks different at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a8zs
    >
    > I take that turn that way every time I come down Haskins hill toward Pescadero. It's about 35mph.
    > In fact both brakes are applied as is always the case when cornering at max speed. If you are not
    > going too fast than you are too slow.
    >
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.15.html
    >
    > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
     
  10. Ant

    Ant Guest

    [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >
    > The picture you see at that web site is not to scale (horizontal to vertical) so the lean angle
    > has been jacked around. The correct picture looks different at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a8zs

    actually, the scale is correct. i just took the liberty of cutting you out. pasting you back in at
    an angle, and judiciously filling in the missing background parts. if i just jacked the scale it
    would be too obvious. if you flip back and forth between them, you can see it better.

    this is what happens when classes end and no work due for a week. go figure.
     
  11. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Specialized Turbos were not bald, and they were not marketed as high traction tires. They were
    > marketed as being impossible to mount -- and really cheap if you knew someone who worked in the
    > warehouse.

    Man, there's a great marketing campaign: "Our tires may not have as much traction as Avocets, but
    they're almost impossible to get onto a rim!"

    Sort of like "We lose money on every item we sell, but we make up for it in volume."
     
  12. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I noticed that while trying to pass a peloton of bikes on some backroads down here in socal.
    > Coming down the backside of Mt. Laguna, those guys were pushing 60, and surprised me at how fast
    > they could go. I was on a Honda CBR600F3 at the time. No way I would've kept up in a car.

    In the Alps last summer, I noticed that European/French drivers were obviously much more skilled at
    dealing with cyclists in the mountains. On descents- going nowhere near 60 mph BTW; I'm a pretty
    good descender and none of the Alps I saw afforded anything like the opportunity to go 60 mph- car
    drivers always pulled over to let me pass as bikes are much faster than cars down the mountains.
     
  13. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > No helmet Jobst?

    The question mark is not required. The picture plainly shows that he wasn't wearing a helmet. He
    seems to have survived thus far though.

    --
    Dave...
     
  14. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    My team manager (father-in-law) said somethings similar while I was earning my SCCA driver's
    license; "If you ain't spinnin' then you ain't trying!" While I was worrying about tearing-up
    my race car.

    <[email protected]> wrote in part in message
    news:p[email protected]... If you are not going too
    > fast than you are too slow.
     
  15. Tim McNamara wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The Specialized Turbos were not bald, and they were not marketed as high traction tires. They were
    >>marketed as being impossible to mount -- and really cheap if you knew someone who worked in the
    >>warehouse.
    >
    >
    > Man, there's a great marketing campaign: "Our tires may not have as much traction as Avocets, but
    > they're almost impossible to get onto a rim!"
    >
    > Sort of like "We lose money on every item we sell, but we make up for it in volume."

    Is that the Cannondale Motorcycle Division's motto?

    Jon Bond oh wait, they didn't have much volume, either...
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...