Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

HELMET ???

Started by datakoll · · Last activity · 34 posts · 934 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 February 2008
Last activity
22 February 2008
Original author
datakoll
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
934
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–34 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Jay said:

    "Clive George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's easier to attach cow horns etc. to a hard shell cap.


    Best comment I've seen in a helmet thread in ages :-)


    If someone could post links to such pics, that would be a lot of fun.

    J.

    Just watch the Tour of California show on Versus (11PM Eastern, 8PM
    Pacific) - the guy with an impressive rack of elk horns is out there on
    the climbs.

  2. datakoll said:

    YEAH, and I'm cookin' dinner on it.

    Crack?

  3. datakoll said:

    any ideas on the strapping?

    If you want to be picky about it I believe that there's some color coding going on with the chin buckle, with different colors representing the flavor of the year with regards to opening load, all done to balance the retaining capacity vs the hanging capacity of the chin strap.

    Personally I'm much in favor of helmets that lets the straps and pads be removed for a thorough wash, there's something offensive in being able to locate your helmet by smell alone as well as hearing the webbing crinkle when you bend it...

  4. datakoll said:

    yummm roast ox

    isn't there a current opinion on helmut strapping?
    buy strap system X,
    avoid strap system Y like the noose?

    That's like asking what saddle to buy. No model is inherently bad,
    but it might be bad for you.

  5. datakoll said:

    glue a 5" diameter coil spring?

    any ideas on the strapping?

    Regarding strapping, my only criterion is some sort of adjustment on
    the back to snug the helmet to my head. This gives enough
    adjustability to ride with or without a thin hat and still have the
    helmet properly snug either way.

    You asked about the best buy for offroading. What's your vision of
    offroading? If you're going to be cruising the walk & bike trails of
    your local park, a general visor equipped lancealike is fine
    (sidestepping the need for it at all). If you're going to be
    stunting, jumping, etc. you're going to fall down. Depending on the
    intensity with which you get into things, you may find you fall often,
    and/or hard. At that point you want to consider full-face.

    I'm really happy with the Switchblade I have. It's a full face with
    plenty of ventilation. The face guard is removable, but I've never
    seen a reason to take it off. If I'm going to be doing something that
    inspires me to wear a helmet to begin with, my face isn't a bad part
    to protect. Unfortunately it's been discontinued, and I have not
    found anything quite so light and well ventilated to replace it.
    There are some options in carbon, but my helmet hits rock and wood far
    too often for carbon.

  6. On Feb 20, 5:11 am, dabac <dabac.352...@no-

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com said:

    Personally I'm much in favor of helmets that lets the straps and pads
    be removed for a thorough wash, there's something offensive in being
    able to locate your helmet by smell alone as well as hearing the webbing
    crinkle when you bend it...

    OK, now I've got 2 criteria.

  7. Bill Sornson said:
    datakoll said:

    YEAH, and I'm cookin' dinner on it.

    Crack?

    Nah, just "cracked".

  8. Ozark Bicycle said:
    Bill Sornson said:
    datakoll said:

    YEAH, and I'm cookin' dinner on it.

    Quoted message said:

    Crack?

    Nah, just "cracked".

    Bill's suggesting a sexual act. People from his locale eat barbecue
    then...
    I thought yawl from E Mass?

  9. BELL has the situation down

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/

  10. datakoll said:

    BELL has the situation down

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/

    bought a Bell Reflux at 1/2 price from Nbar

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=15800&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Products

  11. Quoted post said:
    datakoll said:

    glue a 5" diameter coil spring?

    Quoted message said:

    any ideas on the strapping?

    Regarding strapping, my only criterion is some sort of adjustment on
    the back to snug the helmet to my head.  This gives enough
    adjustability to ride with or without a thin hat and still have the
    helmet properly snug either way.

    You asked about the best buy for offroading.  What's your vision of
    offroading?  If you're going to be cruising the walk & bike trails of
    your local park, a general visor equipped lancealike is fine
    (sidestepping the need for it at all).  If you're going to be
    stunting, jumping, etc. you're going to fall down.  Depending on the
    intensity with which you get into things, you may find you fall often,
    and/or hard.  At that point you want to consider full-face.

    I'm really happy with the Switchblade I have.  It's a full face with
    plenty of ventilation.  The face guard is removable, but I've never
    seen a reason to take it off.  If I'm going to be doing something that
    inspires me to wear a helmet to begin with, my face isn't a bad part
    to protect.  Unfortunately it's been discontinued, and I have not
    found anything quite so light and well ventilated to replace it.
    There are some options in carbon, but my helmet hits rock and wood far
    too often for carbon.

    Here's a full face helmet from specialized with vents and flames ( i
    think the flames help you go faster)

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33253

    This may actually be my next helmet.

  12. datakoll said:
    datakoll said:

    BELL has the situation down

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/

    bought a Bell Reflux at 1/2 price from Nbar

    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=...

    Be sure to annoint your scalp with the Finish Line 'product du jour'
    prior to strapping on that helmet!

  13. Marz said:
    Quoted post said:

    On Feb 19, 8:37 pm, datakoll <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    glue a 5" diameter coil spring?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    any ideas on the strapping?

    Quoted message said:

    Regarding strapping, my only criterion is some sort of adjustment on
    the back to snug the helmet to my head.  This gives enough
    adjustability to ride with or without a thin hat and still have the
    helmet properly snug either way.

    Quoted message said:

    You asked about the best buy for offroading.  What's your vision of
    offroading?  If you're going to be cruising the walk & bike trails of
    your local park, a general visor equipped lancealike is fine
    (sidestepping the need for it at all).  If you're going to be
    stunting, jumping, etc. you're going to fall down.  Depending on the
    intensity with which you get into things, you may find you fall often,
    and/or hard.  At that point you want to consider full-face.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm really happy with the Switchblade I have.  It's a full face with
    plenty of ventilation.  The face guard is removable, but I've never
    seen a reason to take it off.  If I'm going to be doing something that
    inspires me to wear a helmet to begin with, my face isn't a bad part
    to protect.  Unfortunately it's been discontinued, and I have not
    found anything quite so light and well ventilated to replace it.
    There are some options in carbon, but my helmet hits rock and wood far
    too often for carbon.

    Here's a full face helmet from specialized with vents and flames ( i
    think the flames help you go faster)

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33253

    This may actually be my next helmet.- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Looks very nice! I'll have to find one in person so I can get a feel
    for the extra weight and compare ventilation. Thanks for the
    suggestion.

    I wonder if that's the one a LBS tried to sell me around xmas time?
    The first guy told me it was left by a rep forever, and they could cut
    me a real deal because it wasn't selling (this isn't a full-face type
    of shop). It was a medium, but he said getting it swapped for a large
    next time the rep came by would be a non issue as long as I was still
    ok with the old beat up box they had for it. I was all about it, and
    then the owner kinda put the squash on the deal, started talking about
    full MSRP, etc. I felt like they kinda dangled the carrot to get me
    in and then tried to switch, and it was just before xmas anyway, not
    really the time to spend money on myself, so I ended up declining.

  14. Marz said:
    Quoted post said:
    datakoll said:

    glue a 5" diameter coil spring?

    Quoted message said:

    any ideas on the strapping?

    Regarding strapping, my only criterion is some sort of adjustment on
    the back to snug the helmet to my head.  This gives enough
    adjustability to ride with or without a thin hat and still have the
    helmet properly snug either way.

    You asked about the best buy for offroading.  What's your vision of
    offroading?  If you're going to be cruising the walk & bike trails of
    your local park, a general visor equipped lancealike is fine
    (sidestepping the need for it at all).  If you're going to be
    stunting, jumping, etc. you're going to fall down.  Depending on the
    intensity with which you get into things, you may find you fall often,
    and/or hard.  At that point you want to consider full-face.

    I'm really happy with the Switchblade I have.  It's a full face with
    plenty of ventilation.  The face guard is removable, but I've never
    seen a reason to take it off.  If I'm going to be doing something that
    inspires me to wear a helmet to begin with, my face isn't a bad part
    to protect.  Unfortunately it's been discontinued, and I have not
    found anything quite so light and well ventilated to replace it.
    There are some options in carbon, but my helmet hits rock and wood far
    too often for carbon.

    Here's a full face helmet from specialized with vents and flames ( i
    think the flames help you go faster)

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=33253

    This may actually be my next helmet.

    The flames may make you go faster....but won't the extra paint
    actually slow you down????? hehehe

    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle.....

    ....I no longer despair for the human race.

    ---H.G. Wells---

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.