Helmet Bling....

biker7

Oct 15, 2004
Gonna pony up for a new helmet in the spring and the Giro Pneumo seems to be a hell of a nice lid. The issue is...to bling or not to bling. What do you guys think?
Be a Lance wanna bee and show the flag and apple pie or is the general consensus this is too transparent a statement and best to go more underground with a monochome theme?....perhaps a basic black which shouldn't be too hot with all those cooling holes. Wondered if how many fancy boys we have on here versus guys that prefer a more reserved approach?
Thanks for any comments,
George

I went for the 2004 giro ghisallo anniversary edition with the carrying case. It has a flames pattern in silver, but it's mostly black. It kind of freaks me out to see cyclists where everything (colors) matches. I can't even match my socks so that's probably at the root of my problem. I just wanna ride and really don't care what I look like.

I bought Giro Monza after my horrible crash over the summer. I got on the bike about a week after the crash and had to buy a new helmet to relax my insecure mind: since I cracked my helmet in 3 ways.. :rolleyes: Still surprised that I'm alive.

However, if i had some money i would buy 05 bell sweep helmet b/c.. it matches my team jersey.

Was curious where riders on the board came down on the personal issue of how flamboyant a helmet should be :cool: I know some of you are into motorcycles and mountain biking in addition to road bikes and you well know opinions vary. The mountain bikers tend to like the tough look...many times a black helmet that looks more comando and motorcyclists are this way in some respects as well...Harley guys go with skull caps which are more period correct and offer less coverage and the ricer/fairing boy racer crowd goes with the aero bling helmets. Wondered what many of you rode?
George

biker7 said:
Was curious where riders on the board came down on the personal issue of how flamboyant a helmet should be :cool: I know some of you are into motorcycles and mountain biking in addition to road bikes and you well know opinions vary. The mountain bikers tend to like the tough look...many times a black helmet that looks more comando and motorcyclists are this way in some respects as well...Harley guys go with skull caps which are more period correct and offer less coverage and the ricer/fairing boy racer crowd goes with the aero bling helmets. Wondered what many of you rode?
George

I think a loud vs a more subdued helmet is rider specific and I think both look good. I'm a designer when not cycling (which is damn too often lol) so some semblance of style matters to me. More than I guess bling of a helmet is whether or not it goes with the rest of your riding gear in some way, be it a color tie in, a team kit, or some other coordination taking effect. This is just my design eye buggin out when it should stay in the office. :rolleyes:

That said, my current choice is a monochrome Limar F107. Simple, functional and comfortable. Works with what I wore last year. May go for a visually more vocal helmet this year since I am also changing my kit, but havent found what I want yet - hard to find styling non-pro attire. I do have an Euskaltel kit since I love that team and attire. Includes a team helmet. I wear this on the odd occasion I am alone and I feel like being loud as hell in neon orange. ;) Trying currently to find non-pro stuff that isnt so bland.

as usual GZ...I agree with you...a personal call and rider specific. An ugly guy may feel funny in a loud get up...but have seen a few...hehe. I too am a designer..in this case cars so have the same eye. Wanted to get a read of the audience in terms of their preferences. Thanks for your weigh in.
George...am leaning toward a Giro Atmos helmet brought to my attention in this thread versus the Pneumo which is also a nice helmet. Don't know if to go loud or grunge...perhaps the Atmos in matte black which has considerable venting is the best in reverse chic :eek:
George

biker7 said:
George
I like white Bell helmets. I replace them every few years, but don't spend $100 to get the latest style as the older model is usually available for about $50. I wear mostly the solid color jerseys from Performance too; saving the club jersey for special events. And my custom bike has a one-color paint job, no decals, black tires.

But I'm boring, and prefer understatement. If the style and flash of the latest high-end helmet appeals to you, and the money isn't an issue, then by all means get it.

dhk...I tend to be in your camp in terms non-Bling or understatement as well.
Which '04 Bell helmet do you suggest? I am all for saving a buck and understand that Bell makes great helmets as well.
Thanks,
George

biker7 said:
dhk...I tend to be in your camp in terms non-Bling or understatement as well.
Which '04 Bell helmet do you suggest? I am all for saving a buck and understand that Bell makes great helmets as well.
Thanks,
George
Haven't looked at the 04 models; got my current Bell in 02 or 03....Image Pro if I recall correctly. Believe the best value is in the mid-priced models. They seem to have most all the fit and features of the high-end line for about 1/2 the price. Don't think the number of vents matters anymore as even the lower priced helmets have plenty.

Also discovered that the helmet visor is great to keep sun off the nose and rain out of the eyes. Style Man would not approve.

Usually, you'll see me coming. My MTB helmet is YELLOW. My road helmet is more subdued. Bell Ghsiallo or however its spelled) red and black. not too bad. but it clashes with my jerseys. I wear primal. one and off road. Def. dig the new Pink Floyd jerseys. I dont mind being noticed. Especially as I pass you.

biker7 said:
Gonna pony up for a new helmet in the spring and the Giro Pneumo seems to be a hell of a nice lid. The issue is...to bling or not to bling. What do you guys think?
Be a Lance wanna bee and show the flag and apple pie or is the general consensus this is too transparent a statement and best to go more underground with a monochome theme?....perhaps a basic black which shouldn't be too hot with all those cooling holes. Wondered if how many fancy boys we have on here versus guys that prefer a more reserved approach?
Thanks for any comments,
George

biker7 said:
Thanks for any comments,
George
I prefer less bling and use a Bell Furio (blue) as well as an older Giro Helios (yellow for when I need to be more visable). I'm not sure I need a $200 helmet. :cool:

dhk said:
But I'm boring, and prefer understatement. If the style and flash of the latest high-end helmet appeals to you, and the money isn't an issue, then by all means get it.
I wouldn't call that boring. I also have a monochrome bike, and wear a lower end, all black Bell. The only thing that more money gets you with a bike helmet is flashy team colors and more ventilation. A quick look at the Performance Bike web site shows the Bell Arc ($20) only weighs 10 grams more than the Atmos ($189). I wear a Coolmax Heasweat under my helmet and have never felt like i needed more air on my head. I find it easier to see without a visor though.

You can find an Atmos which is an outstanding helmet for well under retail if you aren't disposed to a particular color. Since they have all great crash protection, aside from ventilation which is a big factor, over and above fit...helmet weight matters a lot to me. If you look at the weight of the Atmos in particular it is a very light helmet...hard to beat.
George

biker7 said:
Thanks for any comments,
George
I like the Atmos, but can't justify spending that much on a helmet considering the other options out there. I am currently looking for a new helmet, and I like the new Bell Sweep (http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=0). It has very nice lines (I am more interested in the shape than the color/s), and is a bargain ($115) next to the Atmos. My current is an old silver Trek helmet.

Understood. Bell makes a great helmet no question. With me, aside from fit and venting, weight is the most important factor and where the Atmos shines. Weight is huge to minimize neck fatigue on long rides. The way I look at is if you have a helmet for three years or so, its only pennies that separate the cost.
George

I got an '04 Bell Ghisallo for $45 and am happy as a clam. The Atmos is really sweet but I can't get myself to shell out anywhere near MSRP for it. My old helmet is a $70 '92 Bell Image pro, one of the first with the fused shell, and it looked pretty slick at the time. But compared to the ghisallo, the vents are tiny and few and it looks like an all-around kids helment from toys 'r us. Yeah, it was old and abused. I thought it was time for a new helmet.

duke said:
I got an '04 Bell Ghisallo for $45 and am happy as a clam. The Atmos is really sweet but I can't get myself to shell out anywhere near MSRP for it. My old helmet is a $70 '92 Bell Image pro, one of the first with the fused shell, and it looked pretty slick at the time. But compared to the ghisallo, the vents are tiny and few and it looks like an all-around kids helment from toys 'r us. Yeah, it was old and abused. I thought it was time for a new helmet.
Yeah, it was time! Agree I can't shell out that much just for style either, when you can pick up last years models on closeout. But, style's not much of a priority for me anymore....I just want to keep my head safe and enjoy the rides.

I definately prefer a basic helmet. Right now the Atmos helmet's are selling for around $139 on ebay (buy it now price). That is for pretty much any color except matte black and the special edition colors. The matte black is selling for $155 on ebay (buy it now). I ended up paying the extra to get matte black.

I know it sounds petty but I wear all different colored jerseys. As far as I could tell black and white are the only colors that would kind of match all of my jerseys and since I hate white helmets black was my only option.