Helmet lights

Claire Petersky

Guest
Last night I cleaned my bike, and so took off the light and the cyclocomputer. I forgot to put them
back on, such that I rode into work without a headlight. Not wanting to ride home entirely with only
my rear blinkies, I put a flashlight on my helmet with strapping tape, which I thought was pretty
resourceful of me.

I was wondering how people do it who regularly only use helmet lights. It seemed like I only
illuminated the road when I was in the drops. When I was on the tops or the hoods, I felt like I was
visible to cars, but the light wasn't aimed at the road at all. I can imagine having a helmet light
as a supplement, but as one's only front headlight, it seemed inadequate.

Comments?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

In article <2TUwb.232937$ao4.835328@attbi_s51>, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> writes:
> Last night I cleaned my bike, and so took off the light and the cyclocomputer. I forgot to put
> them back on, such that I rode into work without a headlight. Not wanting to ride home entirely
> with only my rear blinkies, I put a flashlight on my helmet with strapping tape, which I thought
> was pretty resourceful of me.

It was resourceful of you. You did yourself proud. Your approach is reminiscent of the "No Excuse
Headlight" described at: http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/chapter8a.htm

> I was wondering how people do it who regularly only use helmet lights. It seemed like I only
> illuminated the road when I was in the drops. When I was on the tops or the hoods, I felt like I
> was visible to cars, but the light wasn't aimed at the road at all. I can imagine having a helmet
> light as a supplement, but as one's only front headlight, it seemed inadequate.
>
> Comments?

I guess store-bought helmet lights are more swivelably aimable than a taped-on dofernow.

But I figure the mounting height of a headlight is critical for illuminating the road. I think even
most handlebar-mounted lights are typically too high up for casting enough shadow to see in 3-D.

cheers, Tom