Helmet: Yes Or No?

Definitely wear a helmet. You look a bit worse, it costs a bit of money up front for a good one, but it saves you potential money in the long run in case you get into an accident. Also, I actually ride faster when wearing a helmet, I don't know why, but in any case I get to my destination faster.
Helmets just provide a little additional protection, and that's always good. Is it at the expense of looking good? Maybe. Perhaps you should just look for the slickest, coolest helmet that will compliment your head shape.

I've worn helmets for years and the real irony is that the one time I have a major incident involving my head thanks to some hit and run ass- the helmet did diddly squat to save my front teeth from being smashed all over the pavement. I mean in the long run yes a helmet can save your life but that's if you don't end up face first in the pavement. They're good for back and side protection of the head but do nothing for the front of your face. Just food for thought.

Helmet all the way, a head injury can easily be life ending. Break a leg and at least you can go on, break your head and you are done for!

I say Helmet , I never used to wear my helmet, but then a friend of mine almost died in a accident with a pick up truck and only survived because he was wearing a helmet. They really do save lives !

Gelsemium said:
20-30 years ago no one used an helmet, but now everyone seems to use it. My kids use it of course, mainly because of their mother, but I still ride without one. What's your say?
I have worn a helmet for a long time.

While I was in the hospital recovering from a car/bicycle accident, I only wanted to die. A helmet does not save one from the pain of broken bones.

Considering that walking is not chore and bicycling is not as much fun as it was pre-accident I am not sure that wearing the helmet that saved my life was worth it.

I still ride with a helmet, but once or twice a year I get interrupted in my process and forget my helmet.

The helmet like a funeral is for those you might leave behind.

An old Guy said:
The helmet like a funeral is for those you might leave behind.
That's a really good way to look at it. Potentially looking dorky is definitely outweighed by by the fact that your loved ones would much rather have you around. I never really thought of it like that. I haven't known anyone who's died from a bike accident yet but plenty of my friends have had close calls. One of my good friends had a terrible accident 3 years ago that broke his arm and clavicle. He said his head smacked on the ground too so his helmet turned what likely would have been his death into a painful and inconvenient few months which is much better.

So many of you have had accidents -- and sustained terrible injuries to your bodies. My cousin sustained extremely bad injuries while bicycling in Arizona. Although younger than me I think he is a more experienced cyclist than I am. I myself had a bicycle crash and broke my left thumb. And the lost skin was pretty bad too.

Bob

You have to ask yourself. What's more important, looking good or being safe? I'd rather look doofy with my helmet on than get in some accident and suffer some sort of head injury because I care more about how it look rather than my safety. Vanity should always take a back seat to being safe.