Helmets look stupid

having spent sooo many years wandering around brain injury wards at hospitals, man, you would be flat out mad not to wear a helmet. Fully functioning people like you and me, reduced to having someone wipe drool off their chin. Thats really worse than trying to impress the guy you just passed. In Oz, its law all the time, so we dont have that problem, but ****, dont destroy your life by not strapping on.

This is not directed at the author, just a call in general

i am absolutely astounded that people actually think it's dumb to wear helmets. i guess it's the same people that don't want to wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets either. than God they're usually in the minority.

cheapie said:
i am absolutely astounded that people actually think it's dumb to wear helmets. i guess it's the same people that don't want to wear seat belts or motorcycle helmets either. than God they're usually in the minority.

I am talking about racing only. Good enough for no hemets almost the entire life of the tour, that means since it's inception. Good enough now!
:)

keydates said:
Imagine if, instead of a bunch of 170some top of the line professionals, you had 170some Cat 5 racers riding together on these roads. If only 3-4 crashes occurred each stage it would be a miracle. My point remains that pros have better handling skills, so they are less likely to crash, and thus less likely to sustain head injuries. When you look especially at the lower levels of bicycle riding/racing, helmets are very helpful.
I agree. I remember I hated junior races because there was a fall at least 5 times per race. Now I`m U23 and there are almost no crashes. It`s a big difference.

jcjordan said:
Having spoken to a number of riders at the Tour Down Under I was surprised to hear that they bring 3-4 helmets per rider to each race as its not unheard of destroying one or two in simple crashes at multi stage races.
An important point that the troll here seems to be missing. The truth is that if you stack it hard enough to cause a disabling or fatal head injury, a helmet isn't going to help much. The vast majority of head injuries sustained in bicycle crashes are abrasions and lacerations to the scalp, which helmets are extremely effective at preventing. These injuries aren't life threatening, but they can certainly end someone's race, and that's a pretty dumb way to lose a year's worth of training.

Ask Paolo Savoldelli if wearing a helmet may have been a sensible thing to do.

After finishing stage 11 Savoldelli rode back down off the Pla-de-Beret hit a spectator, crashing and wacked his head on the ground. You guessed it "No Helmet". Suffered a gash in his forhead requiring a number of stitches. He must have also suffered some concusion and whilst he started stage 12 the following day he withdrew early suffering from headaches caused from the previous days crash.
A dumb thing for him to do, no helmet. He was just fortunate he didn't suffer a worse head injury.

When Eddy Mazzoleni went cart wheeling over the armco railing, did you notice that when he got back up and riding he had stones embeded into the vents in his helmet?? (I guess not)
Better they stuck in the vents that stuck into his skull.
Perhaps he would have suffered a head injury to some degree if he did not have a helmet on.
I bet he is glad he was wearing one.

Lets look at an analogy.
MotGP racing. Has aurguably the best motorcycle riders in the world.
Very rarely is there a death (and any that have occured have not necesarily been from a head injury).
They crash just like in cycle racing and can suffer many varying injuries, but rarely a head injury. Maybe they don't need helmets after all??? :eek:

Common sense? you obviously don't have any, perhaps you've hit your head a few to many times and can't see reality too clear.
Helmets are there to reduce the chances of suffering head injuries.

For every crash were a rider may hit/graze his head on the ground it's the helmet that absorbs the impact not his skull.

One more note:
These cycle races such as the TDF are on show for all the world to see. Riders get idolised and influence Joe Public. If/when the pro cyclist does not wear a helmet Joe Public thinks to himself I want to ride like him, off goes the helmet because I want to look cool. (a caved in skull doesn't look all that cool.) When you children say they want to be cool like the pro cyclists do you say, be careful & make sure you have your cap on.

Don't go saying only a moron would be influenced by the pro cyclists because how many bikes of 'X' brand get sold because of racing success. How many team jerseys do you own etc. etc.

What it comes down to is that gavin is a nutter who will shoo off any stories, evidence, facts or anything else that suggest helmets are a good thing. He doesn't like them and is closed minded about it. Looking at his posts he just wants to get a rise out of people. I say it's fine if Gavin doesn't want to wear a helmet, these things tend to sort themselves out eventually. I just hope his family has a large supply of baby food to feed him.

Prior to 1973 (?) I used to wear a (leather) helmet in the wet and if and when I thought the occasion demanded it. During 1972, one of my fellow UK riders died as a result of hitting his head on the road and by the following year the BCF had introduced a rule making the wearing of leather helmets compulsory. No problem, in fact when one of my Campag cranks snapped during a race, I went over the bars and hit the road head first. My immediate reaction was 'I'm glad I wearing the helmet'. Note LEATHER HELMET. My only gripe was that the Chief Commissaire wouldn't let me start the next day because I hadn't finished the stage. The helmet was undamaged, as was I. Helmets under race conditions by all means but not the polystyrene rip-offs. :cool:

Incidentally, a prominent Solicitor (lawyer) recently made a very strong case in "Cycling Weekly" against the wearing of helmets for everyday cycling. :)

PS: I've also had Stronglight, TA and SR cranks snap. Sometimes across the pedal end but also midway. ;)

Another point. Joaquim Agostino, top Portuguese pro, died when a dog ran out in front of him during a sprint finish. He wasn't wearing a helmet of any discription. :(

House said:
What it comes down to is that gavin is a nutter who will shoo off any stories, evidence, facts or anything else that suggest helmets are a good thing. He doesn't like them and is closed minded about it. Looking at his posts he just wants to get a rise out of people. I say it's fine if Gavin doesn't want to wear a helmet, these things tend to sort themselves out eventually. I just hope his family has a large supply of baby food to feed him.
House,
you are a boofhead! I never head I would never wear one. On the public streret yes! Hoever in a race...no! What's the point. Raising the rare trajedy doesn't change my mind.

Like I said the tdf throughout it's history never required helmets

Thin boy think!:)

Zeco2 said:
Prior to 1973 (?) I used to wear a (leather) helmet in the wet and if and when I thought the occasion demanded it. During 1972, one of my fellow UK riders died as a result of hitting his head on the road and by the following year the BCF had introduced a rule making the wearing of leather helmets compulsory. No problem, in fact when one of my Campag cranks snapped during a race, I went over the bars and hit the road head first. My immediate reaction was 'I'm glad I wearing the helmet'. Note LEATHER HELMET. My only gripe was that the Chief Commissaire wouldn't let me start the next day because I hadn't finished the stage. The helmet was undamaged, as was I. Helmets under race conditions by all means but not the polystyrene rip-offs. :cool:

Incidentally, a prominent Solicitor (lawyer) recently made a very strong case in "Cycling Weekly" against the wearing of helmets for everyday cycling. :)

PS: I've also had Stronglight, TA and SR cranks snap. Sometimes across the pedal end but also midway. ;)
"House " should ask what that solicitor said!

Trev_S said:
Ask Paolo Savoldelli if wearing a helmet may have been a sensible thing to do.

After finishing stage 11 Savoldelli rode back down off the Pla-de-Beret hit a spectator, crashing and wacked his head on the ground. You guessed it "No Helmet". Suffered a gash in his forhead requiring a number of stitches. He must have also suffered some concusion and whilst he started stage 12 the following day he withdrew early suffering from headaches caused from the previous days crash.
A dumb thing for him to do, no helmet. He was just fortunate he didn't suffer a worse head injury.

When Eddy Mazzoleni went cart wheeling over the armco railing, did you notice that when he got back up and riding he had stones embeded into the vents in his helmet?? (I guess not)

Better they stuck in the vents that stuck into his skull.
Perhaps he would have suffered a head injury to some degree if he did not have a helmet on.
I bet he is glad he was wearing one.

Lets look at an analogy.
MotGP racing. Has aurguably the best motorcycle riders in the world.
Very rarely is there a death (and any that have occured have not necesarily been from a head injury).
They crash just like in cycle racing and can suffer many varying injuries, but rarely a head injury. Maybe they don't need helmets after all??? :eek:

Common sense? you obviously don't have any, perhaps you've hit your head a few to many times and can't see reality too clear.
Helmets are there to reduce the chances of suffering head injuries.

For every crash were a rider may hit/graze his head on the ground it's the helmet that absorbs the impact not his skull.

One more note:
These cycle races such as the TDF are on show for all the world to see. Riders get idolised and influence Joe Public. If/when the pro cyclist does not wear a helmet Joe Public thinks to himself I want to ride like him, off goes the helmet because I want to look cool. (a caved in skull doesn't look all that cool.) When you children say they want to be cool like the pro cyclists do you say, be careful & make sure you have your cap on.

Don't go saying only a moron would be influenced by the pro cyclists because how many bikes of 'X' brand get sold because of racing success. How many team jerseys do you own etc. etc.
Just an insurance company ripoff. Good enough for the champions to eide without one for nearly a century that's good enough for me. I notice "house doesn'r argue on the records!

alan b'stard M said:
House,
you are a boofhead! I never head I would never wear one. On the public streret yes! Hoever in a race...no! What's the point. Raising the rare trajedy doesn't change my mind.

Like I said the tdf throughout it's history never required helmets

Thin boy think!:)
1) Was that English or are you feeling the effects of a head injury?

2) I did specifically mention "gavin," is this a second screen name or is your reading as bad as your typing?

House said:
1) Was that English or are you feeling the effects of a head injury?

2) I did specifically mention "gavin," is this a second screen name or is your reading as bad as your typing?
No I'm Gavin. I originally signed on as he. Months later I returned as Alan. No secrets there. 've never used two at once! Now, justify helmets!:):p

You never did answer if that was English or a brain injury. But that's neither here nor there. How about you explain an intelligent justification for not wearing helmets. (and no "because I don't want to" does not count) If you have actually read anything about helmets in this forum or in the news with an open mind then you will have seen plenty of justification for helmets.

House said:
You never did answer if that was English or a brain injury. But that's neither here nor there. How about you explain an intelligent justification for not wearing helmets. (and no "because I don't want to" does not count) If you have actually read anything about helmets in this forum or in the news with an open mind then you will have seen plenty of justification for helmets.
I see no justification for helmets in a race. Absolutely none. There have been a small number of deaths in the tdf, mostly drugs! As I have said, those stats and the fact tdf has never had helmets until recently should tell you something.

So you see, history is on my side!:p

alan b'stard M said:
I see no justification for helmets in a race. Absolutely none. There have been a small number of deaths in the tdf, mostly drugs! As I have said, those stats and the fact tdf has never had helmets until recently should tell you something.

So you see, history is on my side!:p
I guess in your life you look at stats and take no precautions unless the odds are throughly against you. In other words your are so full of BS it's coming out of your eyes.

Trev_S said:
When Eddy Mazzoleni went cart wheeling over the armco railing, did you notice that when he got back up and riding he had stones embeded into the vents in his helmet??
I remember watching the crash and the gravel in the helmet afterward.

When I raced in the '70s and early '80s, most of us wore "hairnets" only when forced to. The cool look was to find a hairnet thin enough and a cotton cap large enough to stretch over the helmet a la John Howard and David Boll. I went down several times, but only hit my head once, in a club race, when I popped out of gear using a manky freewheel that should have been tossed. Got a small concussion, but the hairnet probably kept it from being a big concussion. None of my club-mates wore hard helmets, and we joked that the guys who had them rode like they intended to use them. Except for Ron Skarin, who was usually way in front of us anyway.

I took pride in staying upright, in getting clocked at 55 mph by two guys in a sports car, swooping into Estes Park without helmet or even gloves. My wife started making me wear a hard hat in '93 when we were expecting, and I bought my first, a Bell Image that never looked half as dorky as the early Skid Lids, Giros, hockey helmets, and that early Bell that Skarin wore. Remember the styrofoam "beer coolers" with the fabric covers that were supposed to hold the mess together on impact?

The new helmets are light, well ventilated, and almost aerodynamic, and the fit is amazing. My only complaint would be the wind noise. A few weeks ago I forgot to put it on and finished the ride without it, enjoying the relativive quiet. The next time I remembered to put it on. I still haven't needed it, but I'm not complaining.

House said:
I guess in your life you look at stats and take no precautions unless the odds are throughly against you. In other words your are so full of BS it's coming out of your eyes.
Stats mean everything house as they record history and defeat your point. Your can't explain the fugures away so you attack me!

Face it ol boy. You've been intellectually and factually flogged!:p