Helmets - Personal Experience

Dave Larrington wrote:
> Peter B wrote:
>
>> Bloody negative attitude! Easily remedied by removing the straps and then glueing, or if the
>> child has a high pain threshold screwing, the helmet on.
>
> "Long long ago, when Leonard Cohen was the Canadian ambassador to the court of Ivan the Terrible,
> he declined to observe the Tsar's law that all should doff their hats in his presence. Ivan thus
> decreed that Cohen should never be able to remove his hat again, and had it secured in place with
> a four-inch nail. On his return to Canada, Cohen had the hat surgically removed, but the nail
> proved impossible to get out. Hence 'Recent Songs'"
>
> Paraphrased from "Sounds" review, 1979.

Did he use an MC Hammer?

IGMC

Tony

In article <[email protected]>,
"Spencer Bullen" <[email protected]> writes:

> but the helmets were cracked and written off. To me this proves some impact was taken by the
> plastic and polystyrene that would have otherwise gone to my (admittedly tiny!) brain.

OK, the helmets may very well have benefitted you.

Now, to balance your anecdote, here's mine. My lack of any cycling helmet has saved me from any RTA
whatsoever. That includes many years commuting in many car-infested cities, including London and
(more recently) over five years in Rome.

Maybe a helmet would have made no difference. But that's the weakness of anecdotal evidence: it
focuses on a single experience at the expense of losing the bigger picture.

> fervently anti-cycling helmet.

Ahem, either that's rather subtle, or the hyphenation is a typo. If the latter, you've been around
here too long to have any excuse.

--
Nick Kew

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 21:26:29 -0000, "Spencer Bullen"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On this newsgroup I never see people screaming to have the seatbelt, or )motorcycle helmet laws
:repealed,

No, it's a cycling NG ! I've nothing against the repealation of m/c helmet wearing and am in favour
of set belt noncompulsoryfying.
--
Comm again, Mike.

[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote: ...
| I've nothing against the repealation of m/c helmet wearing and am in favour of set belt
| noncompulsoryfying.

What has Dubya ever done for us? Extended the English language in a pleasing and useful way, that's
what. Did you mean "repealificationing"?

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

Eala Earendel engla beorhtast ofer middangeard monnum sended.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:51:02 GMT, [email protected] (Patrick Herring)
wrote:

:)[email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote: )... )| I've nothing against the repealation of
:m/c helmet wearing and am in )| favour of set belt noncompulsoryfying. ) )What has Dubya ever done
:for us? Extended the English language in a )pleasing and useful way, that's what. Did you mean
:)"repealificationing"? )

Who's Dubya ?

The language is there to be used - I've "made up" words before - only to find I'm not the first to
use them !

Syllogy wasn't one of them.
--
Comm again, Mike.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:41 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>
>>Who's Dubya ?
>
>
> Are you perpetratizing a hoaxification?
>

I think its an atemptification at an ironization of a priorpostification.

Vincent Wilcox wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:41 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message
>> <[email protected]>:
>>
>>
>>> Who's Dubya ?
>>
>>
>> Are you perpetratizing a hoaxification?
>>
>
> I think its an atemptification at an ironization of a priorpostification.

Amazing how far Dead Ringers has penetrated our society

Tony

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:45:38 -0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Vincent Wilcox wrote:
> > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:41 GMT, [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote in message
> >> <[email protected]>:
> >>
> >>
> >>> Who's Dubya ?
> >>
> >> Are you perpetratizing a hoaxification?
> >
> > I think its an atemptification at an ironization of a priorpostification.
>
> Amazing how far Dead Ringers has penetrated our society

"My fellow umbrellastands..."

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:03:23 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:47:41 GMT, [email protected] )(pmailkeey) wrote in message
> :<[email protected]>: ) )>Who's Dubya ? ) )Are you perpetratizing a
> :hoaxification?
>
> Who's Dubya ?

You're serious?

Why, George W. Bush, President of the USA. The "Dubya" is the phonetic pronounciation of W by
Texans. Texas is a little state in the USA from whence "Dubya" originates. He's referred to as
"Dubya" to avoid being confused with his father who is also called George Bush and coincidentally is
a former president of the USA.

Now tell me you were joking ;-)
--
Regards, Pete

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:04:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Texas is a little state in the USA from whence "Dubya" originates.

Somewhere in Texas there is a village which is missing its idiot...

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 08:04:27 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
:)> Who's Dubya ? ) )You're serious? ) )Why, George W. Bush, President of the USA. )The "Dubya" is
:the phonetic pronounciation of W by Texans.

Cheers ! Thanks for the explanation - it's all that was needed !

If it's widespread knowledge by TV, that would explain it. I gave that up in 1996. And having seen
some adverts today at my friend's house, I'm glad I did !
--
Comm again, Mike.

pmailkeey wrote:
>
> If it's widespread knowledge by TV, that would explain it. I gave that up in 1996. And having seen
> some adverts today at my friend's house, I'm glad I did !

Given up radio as well? No listener to Dead Ringers would not know that.

Tony

Originally posted by Spencer Bullen
Greetings,

iOn this newsgroup I never see people screaming to have the seatbelt, or motorcycle helmet laws
repealed, so I don't know why so many are so fervently anti-cycling helmet. I don't necessarily
think introduction of compulsory laws are a good use of parliamentary time, but I think to deny the
potential benefits of a GOOD QUALITY (shouting deliberate) helmet is ridiculous.

ISPENNY

I say leave it up to each individual.
You wana wear a helmet. Do so by all means. Just don't think that because you wear a helmet other people should be wearing one.
I've heard stories about people walking away from an cycling crash because they were NOT wearing a helmet.

It's all about personal choice.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (pmailkeey) writes:

> If it's widespread knowledge by TV,

Erm ... I last had a telly in 1986[1]. It's widespread knowledge by Usenet, since long before he
became Führer.

[1] That was when I was working in Germany: the telly came with the flat I was renting, and I
watched it sometimes to help me learn the language.

--
Nick Kew

> If it's widespread knowledge by TV, that would explain it. I gave that up in 1996. And having seen
> some adverts today at my friend's house, I'm glad I did !
>

We had a couple or more of TV free years in the 80's and what struck us most when we got one again
was the sheer amount of violence portrayed. We've long since become immune to it again.
--
Regards, Pete

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:33:33 -0000, "Tony Raven"

:)pmailkeey wrote: )> )> If it's widespread knowledge by TV, that would explain it. I gave that )>
:up in 1996. And having seen some adverts today at my friend's house, )> I'm glad I did ! ) )Given
:up radio as well?

No - saga105.7fm in the West Midlands.
--
Comm again, Mike.

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:33:33 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> :)pmailkeey wrote: )> )> If it's widespread knowledge by TV, that would explain it. I gave that )>
> :up in 1996. And having seen some adverts today at my friend's house, )> I'm glad I did ! ) )Given
> :up radio as well?
>
> No - saga105.7fm in the West Midlands.

I listen to Saga FM occasionally. Why do some of their presenters talk as if they're addressing
their dotty, 90 years old, granny? The station is supposed to be aimed at the 50+, do they, in line
with prospective employers, think that senile dementia kicks in at 50? I bet they're the same
disillusioned people who thought men gained an extra inch on turning forty. <Sorry madam.......no,
it's nothing to do with height>
--
Regards, Pete