Helmets: to wear, or not to wear?

framism

Apr 24, 2006
I've stumbled upon a website that helmets examines the value of helmets. Want to know the proportion of wearers to non-wearers. Vote away!

Guess how I voted?

I have worn helmets since before there were standards for bicycle helmets.

I have worn helmets since before my brother died of massive head injuries when hit by a car on his bike (no helmet).

I won't change my mind now unless someone can show that my brother would have been worse off with a helmet.

Just yesterday I saw a guy crash in a crit on the final turn. Split his helmet right in two!

Here's my .02: I race and I do organized group rides both of which require helmets. So even when I'm out on my own donning a brain bucket is second nature.

dgregory57 said:
Guess how I voted?

I have worn helmets since before there were standards for bicycle helmets.

I have worn helmets since before my brother died of massive head injuries when hit by a car on his bike (no helmet).

I won't change my mind now unless someone can show that my brother would have been worse off with a helmet.

I've been a supporter of bike helmets for a long, long time. I grew up in the state of Western Australia and remember when it became compulsory to wear a bike helmet; failure to do so could result in a $50 on-the-spot fine. This website covers the legislation and, more importantly, it's effects in great detail.

I've only just come across this information, but definitely now question the efficacy of helmets, rather than take it for granted that wearing one is the best option. I guess an allegory could be made by my mother's argument about being a Christian: if living in a manner dictated by "agents of god" guarantees one a place in heaven and living as a heathen guarantees one a place in hell, wouldn't it be wisest to live the godly way "just in case"? (The helmet being the godly way.)

framism

ps. My mother and I completely disagree on religion and the nature of a god. I'm a questioner, she's a believer.

WHERE A HELMET!

I've crashed hard and been left with minor head bruises. Without the helmut, my brains would have been left on the road for the crows to enjoy.

And if I was not clear the first time:

WHERE A HELMET!

framism said:
I've stumbled upon a website that helmets examines the value of helmets. Want to know the proportion of wearers to non-wearers. Vote away!

I can't believe I never used to wear a helmut, and I can't believe I complained when the compulsory wearing of them came in down here in about 1992!

I once had a crashed at about 10kmh when I busted a crank, and I cracked the back of my helmet!! I'm sure glad that wasn't my occipital lobe cracking :)

I also crashed heavily on my right side, cracking my helmet and a rib, but I only had a teeny concussion

Being a former hockey player, it is obvious what the benefits are to wearing a helmet, hockey or biking.... Traumatic Brain Injury, TBI, is no joking matter and your chances of escaping without it are much better in a crash with a helmet than without.

531Aussie said:
I can't believe I never used to wear a helmut, and I can't believe I complained when the compulsory wearing of them came in down here in about 1992!

I once had a crashed at about 10kmh when I busted a crank, and I cracked the back of my helmet!! I'm sure glad that wasn't my occipital lobe cracking :)

Who's to say your skull would've cracked? Perhaps you would've just rolled home with a nasty egg. This short page examines situations very similar to yours. At the bottom is a link to an article from Cycle, June/July 2005 that objectively covers the science of helmets. Very interesting and well worth having a read, if only to understand how the helmet you are wearing is going to protect you!

SportDoc said:
Being a former hockey player, it is obvious what the benefits are to wearing a helmet, hockey or biking.... Traumatic Brain Injury, TBI, is no joking matter and your chances of escaping without it are much better in a crash with a helmet than without.
I completely agree that traumatic brain injury is no joking matter. When I write my will I'm going to consider detailing euthanisation in the event of TBI (personal criteria would be established that I feel constitutes burdensome TBI); there's no point saddling loved ones with the burden of one's care.

A bike helmet works in a vastly different way to a hockey helmet, the article I reference in my previous post will give you and idea how and why.

Wikipedia's page on bike helmets gives an impartial, clear and informative summary on the subject. Worth checking out.

I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to wearing helmets. I'll wear them in races only because it's manditory. It really sucks wearing them when you're crusing around in the hot and humid weather of Louisiana.

I just wear them because it makes me feels more secure (not to the point of doing something stupid), and they look cool.

Other than that, I know that they don't really protect you, unless you happen to fall on something pointy, maybe then they will help.

-and yes helmets don't work as well as they are cut out to. Use simple phyisics and logic to solve that. Never be ignorant.

This could have been a valid question but by it's wording it's hardly objective. Not much of a poll if you're going to prejudge your participants. The interesting observation this provides is that the OP appears more interested in making polls that get people to agree with his opinion more than collecting anything worth reciting.

I think it was intended as a troll, and feel compelled to answer in kind.

Why not reword the options....

1)I'm smart, good looking, successful, athletic and I answer polls.

2) I can't answer because my toungue is up someones sweaty hairy a$$:eek: and I don't answer polls.

You might just get a higher ratio of #2's

Much like my reply.... what a waste of time.

Peb0 said:
This could have been a valid question but by it's wording it's hardly objective. Not much of a poll if you're going to prejudge your participants. The interesting observation this provides is that the OP appears more interested in making polls that get people to agree with his opinion more than collecting anything worth reciting.

I think it was intended as a troll, and feel compelled to answer in kind.

Why not reword the options....

1)I'm smart, good looking, successful, athletic and I answer polls.

2) I can't answer because my toungue is up someones sweaty hairy a$$:eek: and I don't answer polls.

You might just get a higher ratio of #2's

Much like my reply.... what a waste of time.

It is a valid question and was not intended as a troll. The wording, a poor attempt at comedy which, from your post, I see would have been more effective as a simple Yes or No. I, myself, voted #2.

Your "interesting observation... that the OP appears more interested in making polls that get people to agree with his opinion more than collecting anything worth reciting" couldn't be further from the truth. I'm interested to see what the proportion of helmet wearers to non-wearers is and hear individual's opinions on the matter; it's a part of my methodology in forming my own opinion.

To summarise: my poor wording is a result of a weak attempt at comedy, a choice I made to liven up the Yes and No. I didn't consider that it might not be construed as comedy. In hindsight, a simple Yes and No would have been more effective and, perhaps, lead to an objective poll. Your observations about my posts are not observations, but likely quick judgement without considering other possibilities.

For the record: I have previously been a committed wearer. I continue to drool over helmets like the Giro Atmos, Met Stradivarius II and Catlike Whisper, however upon discovery of impartial information (amongst others), I am now not so certain that wearing a helmet is the wisest choice.

Peb0, I know you considered the post a troll, but did you vote anyway?

framism said:
Peb0, did you vote?
No. Choosing not to choose is a choice, when done deliberately.
I can neither answer 1 nor 2 exclusively and as such choosing one over the other does not properly reflect my true answer...

which is... "depends".

When I pop to the corner store, I do not wear my helmet.
When I go on a trail ride, I do wear my helmet.

I have experienced situations where my helmet has helped prevent a potentially more harmful incident (though I think I've never been in a life changing or threatening situation), but likewise have also had the aerodynamic holes help a branch to try and skewer my head, that otherwise would have brushed harmlesslly through my hair.

Pebo

Peb0 said:
No. Choosing not to choose is a choice, when done deliberately.
I can neither answer 1 nor 2 exclusively and as such choosing one over the other does not properly reflect my true answer...

which is... "depends".

When I pop to the corner store, I do not wear my helmet.
When I go on a trail ride, I do wear my helmet.

I have experienced situations where my helmet has helped prevent a potentially more harmful incident (though I think I've never been in a life changing or threatening situation), but likewise have also had the aerodynamic holes help a branch to try and skewer my head, that otherwise would have brushed harmlesslly through my hair.

Pebo

You've raised a point that I struggled with when setting up the poll, but was unsure of how to word. I realised that the issue was not black and white, but wasn't quite sure what to have in between Yes and No. Doey me!

I'd like to start a new poll that accurately reflects how people wear helmets. Perhaps these would be better choices:

1. Always
2. Never
3. I wear it only when racing
4. I wear it only when trailriding

Input, anyone? Other possible choices?

Value, Safety? I wear my because it looks cool! :rolleyes:

I taught Motorcycle safety, and the brain matter is the only part of our body that will not regenerate. Best protect what little we do have! :eek:

framism said:

Ok, let me try to contribute rather than just be sassy.:)

I doubt that everyone has raced but I can't recall any event that didn't have helmets mandatory, so I don't know if this is a necessary question. (I've only ever participated in 4 races).

Whether factually correct or not, I wear my helmet whenever I feel I'm going to be at higher risk.
I perceive hitting the trails to try and blow out a lung as higher risk than riding a few streets to get milk.

In my opinion the options need to be vague enough for people to put their own definition but specific enough to derive some meaning.

1) Always
2) Mosttimes
3) Sometimes
4) Never

I think everyone can generally associate themselves with one of these groups, even if it's for different reasons.

I'm a solid #2 since I don't usually putter around. Typically, if I'm on my bike, I'm on it to ride it.

Peb¤

lava said:
THERE'S ONE RIGHT OVER HERE!
I always wear my helmet when I go out for a bike ride. Regardless of what the "cool" people think, I really do prefer keeping my noggin' safe.

Randomus said:
I always wear my helmet when I go out for a bike ride. Regardless of what the "cool" people think, I really do prefer keeping my noggin' safe.
Not sure why my reply inspired your post, but... I totally agree. I always wear a helmet too.