Help and advise needed on what to bring for first 200k event...

bookieb wrote:
> D'oh, sorry, got a bit previous with the posting there.
> I'll also chuck in a pair of spare cables (1x Gear, 1x Brake).

Brake OK for the paranoid, but gear cable? How likely is it to break,
and if it does you can just adjust the limit screws and pootle home in
SS mode.

> It's a large number of bits and bobs, but most are fairly small and
> light.

lots * little = lots.
little * lots = lots
little * little = little

What I take;
food water extra powder sachets/tub for go-faster juice.
enough clothing for the worst reasonably expected event ( heavy rain)
and gloves and hat cos you always feel colder when tired. Includes rain
jacket. I have a fleece hat and a cloth cap. Sunglasses and clear eye
shields - keep the mozzies out of your eyes.

pump. (PRK. set of allen keys, multitool, 3" adjustable, spokey, tyre
levers, disposable gloves. PRK always has an unused tube of glue in, as
well as the current one) in small wedge saddlebag in big bag. Two spare
tubes. spare bit of tyre to act as a boot. lightweight lock

small camera, couple of pens, maps, route sheet marked up and
laminated, phone, money.

Small first aid kit (2x large melonin patches, crepe bandage and a roll
of elastoplast/micropore. If I need more than that I need an ambulance
anyway). pot of vaseline. Any medications (anti allergy, migraine
tablets, other painkillers/anti-inflammatories.) Sun cream (not needed
for Wicklow).

Plastic bag or two for collecting pheasant.[1]

All fits into a standard carradice style saddlebag.

...d

[1] Only partly joking. One famouse AUK (Was it Sheila Simpson?)
finished a 400 with a brace of pheasant acquired en-route.

In article <[email protected]>,
David Martin ([email protected]) wrote:

> Brake OK for the paranoid, but gear cable? How likely is it to break,
> and if it does you can just adjust the limit screws and pootle home in
> SS mode.

My rear one was starting to exhibit suspicious political tendencies
about 70 km and two unpleasant climbs from the end of The Dean. While
it didn't break, it was very comforting to know that a full complement
of gears could be restored in two minutes if it did.

Note to Dark Siders: ensure that any spare cable is long enough. Some
recumbents require a tandem-length cable. Do not ask me how I know
this...

Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!

David Martin wrote:

> bookieb wrote:

<snip>
> Brake OK for the paranoid, but gear cable? How likely is it to break,
> and if it does you can just adjust the limit screws and pootle home in
> SS mode.

Highly unlikely, but now that I've thought of it, if I leave it out,
Murphy's law and derrivatives will kick in...

> > It's a large number of bits and bobs, but most are fairly small and
> > light.

> lots * little = lots.
> little * lots = lots
> little * little = little

I take your point - notwithstanding the above, I'll see what I can
leave out.

> What I take; <snip> lightweight lock

Nice one, forgotten that.

<snip>

<snip> Sun cream (not needed for Wicklow).

Painful previous experience suggests that it b****y well is. Seriously
pasty white bloke becomes lobster boy in about 3 hours.

> Plastic bag or two for collecting pheasant.[1]

....keeping banana skins etc out of other kit, emergency overshoes,
seriously non-breatheble gilet, bivvy bag etc. etc.

Thanks again,

bookieb.

Dave Larrington wrote:

>> Douglas Carnall's tool list is quite long:
>>
>> * Park tool (4,5,6mm Allen keys, slot and Phillips screwdriver)
>> * Adjustable spanner
>> * link extractor
>> * Spoke key
>> * 3mm allen key
>> * puncture kit
>> * pump
>> * zip ties
>> * insulating tape
>> * string
>> * emergency spoke
>> * spare inner tubes
>> * tyre levers
>> * toe straps
>> * Swiss Army knife
>>
>> I'll add some Duck (Duct?) tape (wrapped around the handle of 4"
>> adjustable spanner) and tyre boots, drop the electrical tape (no lights
>> except rear red LED flasher) and link extractor (built into my knife).

> Id be tempted to add a gear (and brake, if applicable) cable to that
> list.

Are you all off round the world? It's a day ride!

Ditch the knife, toe straps, strings, spare spokes, zip ties, adjustable spanner.

Replace the allen keys, link extractor and spoke key with a *decent* multitool
(I like the Crank Bros Multitool 19. Beware cheap copies).

Spare gear/brake cables etc are for people whose bike isn't roadworthy in
the first place IMO. If your cables look even slightly frayed, replace them.

If you where actually doing a self-supported round the world trip, then
that list would seem more reasonable.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Simon Bennett wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:

> > Why replace a perfectly good tyre when there may be 30 or even 40
> > miles left in it?

> Yes Dave, we're always reading of your entanglements with the puncture
> fairy. Anyone would think you enjoyed them!

Those have mainly been on tyres that should have had hundreds of miles
left in them rather than tens.

--
Dave...

Arthur Clune wrote:

> If you where actually doing a self-supported round the world trip, then
> that list would seem more reasonable.

On my round the world trip I did not take any spare spokes, didn't need
any either. I had a spare brake cable though and needed it after about
5000 miles !! No knives were carried, not even for spreading jam.

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ditch the knife, toe straps, strings, spare spokes, zip ties, adjustable
> spanner.

I'd keep the knife - but then it did once make somebody very happy. At the
top of a hill we met somebody who'd carefully bought a couple of bottles of
beer in the village at the bottom of the hill, to be drunk as a reward for
getting up there. Unfortunately they had no opener!

Also used for cutting cake, melons, spreading jam, pulling splinters/thorns
and I think I extracted a sheep from some wire mesh with it once (though
that was walking, not cycling).

However I've never done timed rides, so my priorities may be somewhat
different to yours :)

cheers,
clive

"David Martin" <[email protected]>typed

> [1] Only partly joking. One famouse AUK (Was it Sheila Simpson?)
> finished a 400 with a brace of pheasant acquired en-route.

It was Sheila Simpson.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

"bookieb" <[email protected]>typed

> <snip> Sun cream (not needed for Wicklow).

> Painful previous experience suggests that it b****y well is. Seriously
> pasty white bloke becomes lobster boy in about 3 hours.

It is needed. You are potentially exposed to a full day's solar
radiation, possibly whilst scantily clad for you exertions. Spring sun
is *very* strong and your skin has not yet been accustomed to it.

Even if it's overcast, there's a lot of UV about.

--

Simon Bennett wrote:
> (if the cable to the
> rear mech goes, you cannot replace with the front).

No, but you can adjust the high and low screws on the rear mech to keep
it on the sprocket of your choice and ride home singlespeed.

Probably not much fun on a scenic ride.

d.

In article <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune (ajc22
@york.ac.uk) wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> >> Douglas Carnall's tool list is quite long:
> >>
> >> * Park tool (4,5,6mm Allen keys, slot and Phillips screwdriver)
> >> * Adjustable spanner
> >> * link extractor
> >> * Spoke key
> >> * 3mm allen key
> >> * puncture kit
> >> * pump
> >> * zip ties
> >> * insulating tape
> >> * string
> >> * emergency spoke
> >> * spare inner tubes
> >> * tyre levers
> >> * toe straps
> >> * Swiss Army knife
> >>
> >> I'll add some Duck (Duct?) tape (wrapped around the handle of 4"
> >> adjustable spanner) and tyre boots, drop the electrical tape (no lights
> >> except rear red LED flasher) and link extractor (built into my knife).

> > Id be tempted to add a gear (and brake, if applicable) cable to that
> > list.

> Are you all off round the world? It's a day ride!
>
> Ditch the knife, toe straps, strings, spare spokes, zip ties, adjustable spanner.
>
> Replace the allen keys, link extractor and spoke key with a *decent* multitool
> (I like the Crank Bros Multitool 19. Beware cheap copies).

My Audax toolkit actually contains:

o tyre levers
o Multitool (Topeak Alien II)
o inner tubes (I carry three these days, because they're an odd size and
I'm paranoid)
o puncture repair kit (just in case)
o tyre boot
o gear cable
o VAR tyre fitting wossname
o zip ties - very handy for Disciplining errant dynamo wires. And if
you use B&M light mounts, sooner or later you WILL have errant dynamo
wires as the things are made of cheese
o long ball-ended 4 mm Allen key (for removing broken B&M light mounts
with awkward-to-reach bolts)

Fits into a small seat pack.

> Spare gear/brake cables etc are for people whose bike isn't roadworthy in
> the first place IMO. If your cables look even slightly frayed, replace them.

I only noticed mine fraying (see upthread) when it started poking me in
the palm...

The best way to confuse a Daily Mail reader is to tell it that
paedophiles form the staple diet of asylum seekers.

David Martin wrote:
> [1] Only partly joking. One famouse AUK (Was it Sheila Simpson?)
> finished a 400 with a brace of pheasant acquired en-route.

Well, it was either Sheila or Francis Cooke. It was Francis that
related the story on the AUK list recently.

d.

In article <[email protected]>,
davek ([email protected]) wrote:
> Simon Bennett wrote:
> > (if the cable to the
> > rear mech goes, you cannot replace with the front).

> No, but you can adjust the high and low screws on the rear mech to keep
> it on the sprocket of your choice and ride home singlespeed.
>
> Probably not much fun on a scenic ride.

Especially not ones like the Kennet Valley Run or the Invicta 300, where
they put all the scenery at the end...

I am Wan, for I am pursued by the Army of Plums.

"Clive George" <[email protected]>typed

> However I've never done timed rides, so my priorities may be somewhat
> different to yours :)

Yebbut the time allowed for Audax rides is generous enough to allow you
to do almost anything in the course of a ride.

I have stopped off to visit friends of my parents, bought ice creams,
searched villages for toilets, taken photographs, slept, phoned friends
and done other things on Audax rides.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

I'm not going to say you will never need all that lot, but if you keep
your bike in good working order and make sure any fettling and routine
maintenance is done on a regular basis and before your audax rides it
is less likely that you will need to carry all that stuff, certainly on
the shorter rides.

I think the amount of kit you need to carry will vary according to the
length of the ride, the condition of your bike, time of year/terrain
(more likely to puncture in the wet, winter months or off road on
tracks etc).

In article <[email protected]>,
Blonde ([email protected]) wrote:

> I think the amount of kit you need to carry will vary according to the
> length of the ride, the condition of your bike, time of year/terrain
> (more likely to puncture in the wet, winter months or off road on
> tracks etc).

About the only variation I find is the amount of clothing, depending on
time of year and length. Usually /less/ in the winter coz I'm unlikely
to be shedding anything on the way round.

And I might chuck in an extra cereal bar or two for a 300...

The sixth student said, "I ride my bicycle because I want people to look
up to me and say 'Wow! He looks really good up there!' The teacher
replied: 'Go away, Fabrizio!'"

Dave Larrington <[email protected]>typed

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Blonde ([email protected]) wrote:

> > I think the amount of kit you need to carry will vary according to the
> > length of the ride, the condition of your bike, time of year/terrain
> > (more likely to puncture in the wet, winter months or off road on
> > tracks etc).

> About the only variation I find is the amount of clothing, depending on
> time of year and length. Usually /less/ in the winter coz I'm unlikely
> to be shedding anything on the way round.

> And I might chuck in an extra cereal bar or two for a 300...

I've been down to shorts in February, but always wanted the space for
extra clothing.

Batteries and lights are not the issue they were when I was using Ever
Ready Night Riders.

You might wish to consider a Sam Browne belt and other reflective kit
for use after dark.

--

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Batteries and lights are not the issue they were when I was using Ever
> Ready Night Riders.

On my first 200 I bought new batteries for my head torch at the first
control. Got back in daylight (just) then discovered that I'd bought
the wrong size..

...d

Dave Larrington hatte geschrieben^Wwrote:

> Note to Dark Siders: ensure that any spare cable is long enough. Some
> recumbents require a tandem-length cable. Do not ask me how I know
> this...

Let me guess: You did check this carfully beforehand and thus were able
to replace the cable in no time on an especially nasty and rainy day
well after sunset?
Next time you visit a bike shop with tandem specific parts in order to
shop for extra long cables you might ask for a cable connector as
widely used on separable tandems oder Moulton cycles. This will allow
for using shifter or brake cables in standard length and also to repair
only the defective end.

Günther

Helen wrote:
> "Clive George" <[email protected]>typed
>
>> However I've never done timed rides, so my priorities may be somewhat
>> different to yours :)

> Yebbut the time allowed for Audax rides is generous enough to allow
> you to do almost anything in the course of a ride.
>
> I have stopped off to visit friends of my parents, bought ice creams,
> searched villages for toilets, taken photographs, slept, phoned
> friends and done other things on Audax rides.

Quite right to, its not a race and the chance to move about a little in non
cycling mode and do something else for a little while will make the rest of
the trip more fun.

Did I mention that I did the Hebden Bridge 60k on Sunday and the 20k each
way there and back?

Had a fantastic time, went far too fast and suffered on the way home, but
grining all the way. I think I've told everyone I've met since, so its
probably got to you anyway.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK