help changing handlebars

thebeatcatcher

Nov 10, 2006
this is probably stupid, but i'm new so let the flogging begin...

first off i tried searching a bunch and couldn't find my answer.

i am switching from drop drowns to a bull horn bar. i have the brakes off and unscrewed the bolt in the center, but the clamp that is holding the bars in is rigid and i can't figure out how to get the bars out. i have an old mid-late 80's cannondale. will i have to get a new stem?

TIA

thebeatcatcher said:
this is probably stupid, but i'm new so let the flogging begin...

first off i tried searching a bunch and couldn't find my answer.

i am switching from drop drowns to a bull horn bar. i have the brakes off and unscrewed the bolt in the center, but the clamp that is holding the bars in is rigid and i can't figure out how to get the bars out. i have an old mid-late 80's cannondale. will i have to get a new stem?

TIA

You probably don't need a new stem unless the diameter of the clamp section of the bull horn bar is different from the drop bar or the new bull horn does not have a round section over which the stem can slide. I am assuming that your old C'dale has a single bolt quill stem, and on some stems the clamp can be pretty tight to the bar. Use a screwdriver or similar tool to gently pry open the clamp to loosen it a bid and then slide the stem off of the central part of the bar. Once you get it off of the thicker central section it will go easier. If all else fails, take it to your local shop or just leave it on the old bar and get a new stem.

John-

thanks for the help, it worked fine. i wasn't sure how much give there'd be so i thought i'd ask first before snapping off the clamp or something!