Help converting to STI

lon_zobie

Jul 20, 2003
I have a Trek 1400 with Shimano 105 components. This is an older bike with down-tube shifters, which I hate. I did upgrade to a 9-speed cassette anticipating the change to STI. What will I have to replace to make this conversion successful? Will I have to buy new front & rear derailleurs? What about brake components? If someone can walk me through this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm mechanically competent, I just don't know what all I need to buy.

Thanks everyone!

If you have a 9 speed groupset, than all you need (I think) is a new set of brake levers/shifters.... anything from Tiagra upwards would be appropriate. :)

ETXY is right. If you have a 9 speed groupo alreading running, you will need the STI shifters/brakes only. They can be expensive, depending on the grade you choose. Your old brake callipers will be fine. You will get new cables with new STI's, so all you need would be just the shifters.

But is you plan to upgrade to 9 (from 7 speed or lower), then you will definitely need a new rear deraileur and possibly a new front one as well.

Originally posted by lon_zobie
I have a Trek 1400 with Shimano 105 components. This is an older bike with down-tube shifters, which I hate. I did upgrade to a 9-speed cassette anticipating the change to STI. What will I have to replace to make this conversion successful? Will I have to buy new front & rear derailleurs? What about brake components? If someone can walk me through this, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm mechanically competent, I just don't know what all I need to buy.

Thanks everyone!