Help With Specs for Converting Electra Townie ...

vja4Him

Mar 17, 2008
I just started looking into adding a motor to my Electra Townie. Does anyone have an Electra Townie with a motor?

I was wondering because I'm not sure that the motor would fit my Townie, because the Townie is shaped a bit differently ...

Also, what is the fastest that an electric motor would take a bike, as opposed to a gas-powered motor?

picture.php

vja4Him said:
I just started looking into adding a motor to my Electra Townie. Does anyone have an Electra Townie with a motor?

I was wondering because I'm not sure that the motor would fit my Townie, because the Townie is shaped a bit differently ...

Also, what is the fastest that an electric motor would take a bike, as opposed to a gas-powered motor?

http://www.light-after-darkness.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=157
Work out more! There's your motor.

Or, I would suggest finding a bike motor enthusiast site.

The hub motor kits from goldenmotor.com would bolt right in to your front fork if the bike's a 26 and the fork ends are flat.

The Kings kits are nifty and offer motorcycle-like control but would involve kluging up some clamps.

garage sale GT said:

The hub motor kits from goldenmotor.com would bolt right in to your front fork if the bike's a 26 and the fork ends are flat.

The Kings kits are nifty and offer motorcycle-like control but would involve kluging up some clamps.

Can you give me more specifics? I know almost nothing about motorizing bicycles ... I'd like to spend less than $500.00 if possible ... I really don't care what kind of motor I use, as long as it's something that will be good quality, and last for a long time ....

I'd like to have a motor that will allow for at least 30mph. I weigh about 210 pounds, and carry a backpack that weighs around 15 pounds. When I do grocery shopping, that adds another 15-20 pounds.

vja4Him said:

picture.php

Do a google search for Scooters or look at ebay. Motorizing a bicycle can be a genuine PITA.

Or just ride your bike. Lots of .1 offa ton with 'stuff' do it with the only 'motor' being the legs.

vja4Him said:
Can you give me more specifics? I know almost nothing about motorizing bicycles ... I'd like to spend less than $500.00 if possible ... I really don't care what kind of motor I use, as long as it's something that will be good quality, and last for a long time ....

I'd like to have a motor that will allow for at least 30mph. I weigh about 210 pounds, and carry a backpack that weighs around 15 pounds. When I do grocery shopping, that adds another 15-20 pounds.
Agree with Peter; look for a scooter or small motorbike. Pedal bikes aren't designed for the added weight and stress of motors, and going 30 mph safely with a motor to me says a heavier frame and suspension is in order.

Also consider to really have a useful vehicle, you'll want something street legal, with lighting and enough HP to climb hills with the loads you're looking at. A 50cc scooter would be the minimum; I'd suggest 100cc would suit you better in the long run.

garage sale GT said:

I wish that I could handle the long distance rides .... I have too many medical problems that limit how much I can exert myself -- high blood pressure, chest pains, bad feet, bad back ...

I can only handle a steady ride of about five miles maximum, and I only average between six and seven miles per hour ....

So, converting my Townie into an electric is the best way for me to go ... It costs me around $500.00-600.00 each month to drive ... so even if I invest $1,000.00 to add an electric motor to my bike, that would be a huge savings ... !!!

dhk2 said:
Agree with Peter; look for a scooter or small motorbike. Pedal bikes aren't designed for the added weight and stress of motors, and going 30 mph safely with a motor to me says a heavier frame and suspension is in order.

Also consider to really have a useful vehicle, you'll want something street legal, with lighting and enough HP to climb hills with the loads you're looking at. A 50cc scooter would be the minimum; I'd suggest 100cc would suit you better in the long run.

Just how much weight will an electric motor with battery add to my bicycle? I was looking at an 80cc 2-stroke engine kit that only adds 20 pounds. Would an electric motor be about the same weight, or perhaps less ... ???

Peter@vecchios said:
Do a google search for Scooters or look at ebay. Motorizing a bicycle can be a genuine PITA.

Or just ride your bike. Lots of .1 offa ton with 'stuff' do it with the only 'motor' being the legs.

I really need to ride my bike ... But it's difficult for me to handle riding much more than five or six miles. So with an electric motor, I could extend the distance I travel by at least double ....

vja4Him said:
I really need to ride my bike ... But it's difficult for me to handle riding much more than five or six miles. So with an electric motor, I could extend the distance I travel by at least double ....

Then buy a Scooter, like a Vespa type scooter. Local want ads, ebay, there are lots for that $1000.

vja4Him said:
Just how much weight will an electric motor with battery add to my bicycle? I was looking at an 80cc 2-stroke engine kit that only adds 20 pounds. Would an electric motor be about the same weight, or perhaps less ... ???
Well, I know it's not the lightest weight option, but the Wilderness Energy front hub motor I installed in my wife's bike added 32 lbs, with the weight evenly divided between the motor (450 watt brushless) and battery pack.
(3 12v 7ah lead acid)
Makes the bike handle like a tank, but she loves it, that's what matters.

vja4Him said:
I wish that I could handle the long distance rides .... I have too many medical problems that limit how much I can exert myself -- high blood pressure, chest pains, bad feet, bad back ...

I can only handle a steady ride of about five miles maximum, and I only average between six and seven miles per hour ....

So, converting my Townie into an electric is the best way for me to go ... It costs me around $500.00-600.00 each month to drive ... so even if I invest $1,000.00 to add an electric motor to my bike, that would be a huge savings ... !!!
I hope you realize the only difference between pedaling and riding a powered bike will be that you don't have to pedal. It may still prove too stressful on your back.

Try getitbent.com for a site with bikes you can actually ride, then maybe your health issues will improve.

If you still want a motorized bike, my recommendation remains to search for motorized bike sites with user blogs. A very useful one was bikemotor.com which contained a wealth of info from actual users who had motorized their bikes, but it shut down. Give it a try and you'll find another.

I also suggest contacting the DMV in your state and finding out the laws. Motorized bikes are practically unusable in Illinois, for example.