Help finding a welding unit??

cycledude101

Feb 25, 2011
[COLOR= rgb(178, 34, 34)]Hello everyone, I am looking to make some mods to my mountain bike but i can't find a good welder to do it with.....so does anyone know where to find a good plasma/tig unit hopefully in one unit...any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance[/COLOR]

If you are welding Aluminum I would advise getting someone with experience to do it. It is much harder to get the temperature range correct than say steel. You can either burn right through or not get a good weld if the temp is too low I am told that cleaning with steel wool is also a key to getting a good weld.
I would say you can rent a unit at your local equipment rental shop and if you are an expert welder just disregard my comments, otherwise I suggest getting a lot of practicing first on scrap metal or better yet find someone with a lot of experience welding Aluminum.

Originally Posted by cycledude101 .

[COLOR= rgb(178,34,34)]Hello everyone, I am looking to make some mods to my mountain bike but i can't find a good welder to do it with.....so does anyone know where to find a good plasma/tig unit hopefully in one unit...any help will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance[/COLOR]

Do you have any three phase outlets available or are you looking for a little single phase unit? Miller probably has a little single phase that'll do Mig, Tig and stick but as jhuskey pointed out, welding aluminum aint the easiest thing to do and stuff like 6000 series alumium is supposed to be heat treated afterwards if you mig weld.You'll loose a lot of strength - somewhere around 70% to 80% or even more if you're not a great at welding if you don't post weld heat treat.

i have bought the longevity machine and wanted you guys to check it out and let me know what you think because i think its a great unit

Attachments

• CAM_0992 (Small).JPG
    CAM_0992 (Small).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
  • CAM_0644 (Small).JPG
    CAM_0644 (Small).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 8
  • CAM_0993 (Small).JPG
    CAM_0993 (Small).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 7
  • CAM_0640 (Small).JPG
    CAM_0640 (Small).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
Originally Posted by cycledude101 .

Actually i wanted to do the welding myself for the experience, i have watched long enough

Before you melt big holes in your frame, head down to the local hardware/supply store that sells all the fun contractor building supply materials etc etc and get some aluminium tubing. You'll probably find that at first the welder makes a better tool for cutting than for joining tubing together.

I've just looked at your machine, and I've never seen this unit before. How much did it cost, and where did you get it? Looks like you did some decent welds to start with. Try looking over the way these welds are done on the bikes in the stores, then make yours as much like them as possible. That is, you'll need to space your "dips" more closely together so it'll look better, but you're on the right track as is. If you have to, you can use smaller diameter filler wire/rod, which will force you to dip closer together and perhaps a bit faster. You're doing good, though. Post pics of your work on the actual bike!