Help. Frozen Bottom Bracket

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Me, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup side
    seems to be frozen.

    Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
    ass wrench.

    Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?

    If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...

    -jason

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Me <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
    > side seems to be frozen.

    > Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
    > ass wrench.

    > Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?

    Yes, it's possible. You know that the fixed cup is a left hand thread (unless it's Italian), no? Try
    bringing it to your LBS. In the future, use teflon tape on the threads.

    Art Harris

  3. >Zeke<

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I'm replacing my shimano lx chartridge bb on my 4 year old Aluminum frame and the fixed cup
    > side seems to be frozen.
    >
    > Adjustable cup came out nice and easy. However the fixed cup wont budge at all even with a big
    > ass wrench.
    >
    > Perhaps the cup has bonded to the frame. Is that possible?
    >
    > If so, any suggestions for eventually removing it...
    >
    > -jason

    I just had this problem with a frame I acquired. I had to end up putting the fixed cup into a large
    bench vise (use something on the jaws to protect the frame) and used the entire frame as a lever...
    it loosened up rather nicely at that point.

  4. The left-hand thread on the fixed BB cup has sabotaged many an amateur bike repair project. But,
    when the fixed cup has a right-hand thread, it throws anyone for a loop. I once had a Japanese-made
    bike with right-hand fixed-cup threads (not made in Italy) and it gave me and a few shop mechanics
    grief for some time. The odd thing is, that other bikes of the same make and in the same shipment
    all had left-hand fixed cups. How and why this one BB got threaded and fitted for a right-hand
    fixed cup, is a mystery. After the BB had been thoroughly stripped by repeated attempts to unscrew
    it in the logical direction, I finally figured it out. I had ridden it for two years, so no
    warranty was in effect. To save the frame, I had to use some metal-mending epoxy to permanently
    fuse a new cup in place. I rode it for six more years, before the cup needed replacing and then I
    just scrapped the whole frame. I've been told that some older French-made BBs and fixed cups also
    used right-hand threads.

    Steve McDonald