Help, I've not had a bike for 15 years and i'm looking to buy one.

smithe3009

Jul 10, 2005
I've not had a bike for 15 years and i'm looking to buy one. I have seen one that I like but the gears look very different to the old days, with levers on both the left and right. Can anyone explain how to use this type of system. The bike info is, Shogun Gatecrasher 300 with Shimano Tourney 21 speed with STI gears. :confused:

I would be most gratfull for any kind input:eek:

smithe3009 said:
I've not had a bike for 15 years and i'm looking to buy one. I have seen one that I like but the gears look very different to the old days, with levers on both the left and right. Can anyone explain how to use this type of system. The bike info is, Shogun Gatecrasher 300 with Shimano Tourney 21 speed with STI gears. :confused:

I don't know why I put gatecrasher the bike is Shogun Grind 2005 with Shimano Tourney 21 speed STI. So if any kind persom has any help and advice available.

OK, what you'll have is a shifter (which will be integrated also with the brake lever) on each side of the handlebar. The system on the left will control the front. (I think i'm correct on this). The 21 speed tells me you will have a choice of 3 chainrings on the front near the pedals. 7 choices on your back(wheel). Thus giving you 21 possibilities. However, there will be some overlap on how it "feels" simply because different combos will result in closely related "speeeds". Shifting will be simple in that you just flip a lever (usually your right paw) to make a gear change. Mild or small changes are done by changing the back gears(right hand lever) and large differences are made with front(left levers). Also, conveniently, left hand brake is back wheel, right hand brake is front wheel. It all sounds bad but very simple really. One good day and you'll be doing it without thinking. They may even be numbered (1-7, and 1-3) but this isn't important. You'll go by feel without regards of what "number" you're on. A small idea, but hope it helps. Happy biking on your new ride!!

smithe3009 said:

Alot's changed in fifteen years! On a 21 speed, you'll have 7 cogs on the back wheel and 3 chainrings controlled by a shifter on the right and left respectively. Although you have the potential to use all 21 gears, you should'nt really use the big chainring with the top 2-3 cogs at the back, or the little chainring with the last 2-3 cogs. Doing that will cause the chain to bend too much which wears it out faster, maybe even snapping it. STI means the gears are indexed, so every time you push the gear shifter, it'll click for each gear change. The bike will also have V-brakes aswell, almost every new bike made, with the exeption of road bikes, have them. They'll take some getting used to as they're dead powerful. Hope that helps.