Help me understand the difference

brandywine

Jun 30, 2011
Hi All!

I'm not really a cyclist...I am stuck using an exercise cycle (upright stationary, though I guess I could use a spin bike.) after hip surgery.

Anyway on my protocol, it has me progressing to Outdoor or resistive cycling in about 1-2 weeks. Since I am pretty weak (my hip muscles really atrophied!) I dont feel that confident riding outside at all, plus, not being a cyclist, I can not remember when I was last on a bike outside (I just run.)

I am making the assumption that biking outdoors is not like biking on a stationary cycle. Runners will often adjust a treadmill to a certain grade to try to mimic outdoor conditions, etc.

So as I progress to "resistive" cycling...how can I make that more like outdoor cycling? Or am I missing something completely.

I have to say, I really dont much like the cycling inside....

Thanks thanks thanks for any insight!

Riding is riding. The biggest difference is that you don't get to work on handling while indoors unless on rollers.

If you are worried about the hips, shift to a harder gear and stay seated, just keep your cadence over the 70 RPM mark. That'll help you simulate climbing rolling hills, which is exactly the type of workout you are after.

Thanks so much. I started going up and down on the levels for 1-2 mins this week and it seems to make everything work harder.
Yes, I def have to stay seated, I can not even imagine coming up for a climb right now!
But soon!