Help needed - Ultegra Brake Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chalky

I was doing some Winter maintenance on my Ultegra calipers (off the frame) and pressed the calipers
together to clean out the back of the hinge but the darn things have stuck fast about 1" apart.
Before I get too heavy handed, is there a trick to get the calipers to spring back to normal
separation ? It feels like the spring is unnaturally positioned but one end is sealed in the Ultegra
so I don't think I can get to it.

Any help appreciated.

SW

It's easy enough to diassemble the caliper (just keep the parts in order as you take them apart),
clean and grease everything and reassemble.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Chalky wrote:
> I was doing some Winter maintenance on my Ultegra calipers (off the frame) and pressed the
> calipers together to clean out the back of the hinge but the darn things have stuck fast about 1"
> apart. Before I get too heavy handed, is there a trick to get the calipers to spring back to
> normal separation ? It feels like the spring is unnaturally positioned but one end is sealed in
> the Ultegra so I don't think I can get to it.

There are exploded diagrams at the Shimano website. You may have displaced the little plastic
bushing for the spring, but they're easy enough to take apart - just watch out for the central
thrust bearing assembly, which contains lots of VERY small ball bearings.

Thanks for the heads-up - I've found the diagram and will give it a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.