Help needed with a story to read

4myson

Jan 21, 2014
Hi all, My names stuart, i have joined here for some advice and help for my 13year old son triston. Triston has now been riding road bikes for 12 months and has really taken to it in a big way, he started out at the start of last year wanting to ride the 12 kms each way to school each day on his bmx, with a interest in motorbikes an dirt track bike riding we had already started paying for a second hand norco vps 2 down hill mountain bike for his birthday which was still 4 months away when we spotted a old guy leech 18 speed bike at a slavos store for $60 an thought this would be a good bike for him to use for school. Not even sure if hed like it or want to use it we grabbed it anyway an bought it home for him, he was on it before we could blink. After a few hrs triston came home telling us how great the guy leech was, thinking it would only be a fad we didnt spend a cent on it an just left it how it was. After 4 months of riding the guy leech he got his downhill bike for his b/day, thinking that would be that for the old guy leech we started doing what we could to get the norco perfect for him but that wasnt to be, the guy leech was never left aside long, not 1 day went by for the next couple of months that the guy leech wasnt ridden an it seemed not a day went past that he wasnt talking about the road bike or what could be done to make it lighter and faster, by christmas 2013 he had managed to add some carbon parts an clock up well over 4000kms. The down side to the guy leech was it is a 13kg bike with a very slow gear ratio ( 44 front sprocket an a 32-14 cassette) he had joined a local cycling club during the year an found he was constantly spinning flatt out trying to keep up and wasnt where he expected he was in the stamina side of things, so the full on training begun, he had also joined the school energy breakthrough team an in the year got to the stage of being 1 of the fastest riders in the trike for his age group. Now 12 months after the guy leech had came into his life he is training every day an committing most of his spare time on the bike or working out. Being the dad i am im always trying my best to support my 4 kids an there dreams, so for triss im always on the lookout for something lighter an faster. In early october 2013 he had found a pair of unused second hand carbon forks with a carbon head stem online an we managed to win them for $50, unfortunately the forks were tapered an wouldnt fit the guy leech frame so in the cupboard they went with the hope of using them 1 day ( i had no idea there was a difference in forks i naively just assumed they would fit) . By chance, just a couple of weeks ago, i found a 2006 Vellum edge frame online from a local seller, so i decided to go look at it an during the process of buying it also managed to pick up a carbon Mavic CXP30 back wheel the pair set me back $110 so i think i got a good deal. We had taken the frame to a bike shop on the way home along with the carbon forks we already had an were given a bearing from a headset that wasnt used in the job they had done that fitted the lower section of the carbon forks an bought a headset that had the upper bearing an everything else we needed to fit the forks to the vellum frame. We also got onto a cheap Shimano cassette (32/11) which should hopefully pick his gear ratio up a bit. The vellum frame had a lot of clear peel so we have sanded it back and are 1 coat of clear away from finished with it, by tomorow night it will be done ready to start assembly. There is still obviously a list to make this bike complete, i have parts from old bikes but they really wont compliment this bike at all. If anyone reads this post that can help me get this right for triston please call or inbox me, i dont have much i can spend on it but will buy anything i can afford to get this right and finished for him. Me i have spinal injury 5 bulging discs from a job on my own car an now run a small hobby business by myself from home wrecking vn to vs series commodores but most of the time i really dont turn too much profit its mainly a hobby i can do in my own time when my back allows, i have been struggling to do this project for triss so any help here would be appreciated more than i can say. What im needing to finish this for triston is Brake / gear levers (i cant get the old type levers to fit over the headset) Brakes Cranks & sprocket Handle bars 1 1/4" diameter seat pole Seat Carbon front wheel & derailers When this bike is finished im going to pay up tristons racing registration it expired just before xmas to allow him to get back into it. Triston is a good kid who is always there to help people out when needed, he thinks of others first, always looking at whats good in a person an never holding a grudge, he has always been polite an thoughtful, in my eyes he deserves to have a great bike to be able succeed in racing an feel proud of what he has, he has never wanted or tried to do wrong by anyone, he dont fight, bully others or drink like so many other 13 year olds, he is my idol, i just wish i had more i could spend on this for him, if only carbon parts were cheaper lol. Just please if u can help him out in anyway with some good parts for cheap that u no longer want / need call me on 0411 428 388 or text me an ill call u to save u on ur phone bill, we live in the bendigo area in victoria but can arrange a courier pick up if needed so distance is no problem. id truly be so thankful to anyone for any help at all in getting a light bike going for him...

I'm too far away to help

A 44/14 would get him to and beyond 27 MPH/42 KMH before spinning out, that's a fairly serious speed for a junior rider.

The following phrase has me wondering: "Brake / gear levers (i cant get the old type levers to fit over the headset)"

Brake and gear levers don't go over the headset - or at least I've never seen it. Are you unfamiliar with the terminology? sheldonbrown.com is a great place to get some grip on bikelore.
Brake levers go on the (handle)bar, and while there are several options available for the bar clamp diameter(25.4, 26.0, 31.8 comes to mind), the grip diameter(where the brakes7shifters go) is quite reliable for drop bar bikes.
It is possible to find (steel) drop bars with flat bar diameter(narrower) on the grips, but they're really rare.
Shifters can go in several positions.
Either combined with the brake levers into a combo often referred to as brifters, or at the bar ends, or at the down tube, or an older, inexpensive option - at the stem. Or a couple of rare custom options called Kelly's take-offs and Paul Thumbies.

I wouldn't dare to purchase a modern seat post on an inch measurement. Millimeters, with great attention to the tenths is my recommendation.

I don't recall the details, but there are limits to the tooth counts allowed for junior racers. Your 11T high might not be allowed.
Likewise, road derailers are limited in their ability to handle chain wrap, and may not be compatible with an 11-32 cassette anyway. You'd probably need a mtb derailer for that.

And modern, indexed shifting systems are quite particular about which company they keep. You can't mix speeds and brands of derailers, cassettes and shifters any old how.

There are freewheels with a 12T small available for the old bike as an intermediate fix.

You sound like a good dad taking an interest in your son. It is no surprise he is the young man you describe.

Dabac is correct about the gearing restrictions on junior racers if he ends up exploring competitive riding, but even if not he is only 13 and doesn't really need the same gears the men race with. Pushing big gears before the body is ready isn't great for the knees, and although we discover what gearing (and cadence) work best for us as we evolve as riders, learning how to spin the gears and developing leg speed is important for most aspects of competitive riding. Cadence typically slows as we age so their is plenty of time to learn how to pedal slower, learning how to pedal faster is an exercise using borrowed time.

As far as gear restrictions, gearing can be limited via adjusting the lower limit screws on the rear derailleur (so it doesn't shift beyond a certain point) but the mandated gearing limit as per USA Cycling for a junior is 52x14 (approximately 100 gear inches). Gear inches is the distance a bike will travel with one turn of the pedals. The quick and dirty math to arrive at this number can be calculated as such: 52 (# of teeth on front) divided by 14 (# of teeth on back) multiplied by 27 (approximate wheel diameter in inches of a 700c wheel). This is not exact but it is close enough to ballpark. I am not sure what the restriction for juniors are in Australia.

You mentioned only the single front chainring size of 44, does the bike not have a "big" chainring (i.e. a double crankset)? Ballpark math would put the 44x11 at 108 gear inches, a larger gear than the restriction for juniors in the USA allows.

As far as a 44/14, I can cruise for an hour in that gear comfortably at roughly 22-24mph (approximate cadence 90-100), and as I am comfortable moving my legs fast would spin out at closer to 30mph+. This is not to brag, it is to pass on some knowledge to a young person who might want to ride competitively. I am closer in age to 50 than I am to 40. When I was just a couple years older than your son I got some valuable advice from a real bike racer that I should learn to spin my legs faster. I can also ride at low cadences, but I find riders who start with low cadences are very uncomfortable (or simply unable to) riding at higher cadences. If your son ever wants to dabble in track racing he will definitely need to know how to move his legs fast. Someone may respond using very low cadence pro racers as examples to contradict, just remember your son is 13 and not a "pro" racer (yet).

As Dabac indicated above, you'll need to be exact on the seatpost, that's a carbon fiber frame and the seatpost tube could crack trying to tighten it around something too small. 27.2, 31.6 are pretty common diameters, but best to measure properly or get an expert to verify.

Keep us posted on all the good stuff that's happening.

Cheers,
Dan.

Heres a pic of the bike after todays work on it starting to take shape, I spoke to the people at the bike shop an they have told me they can get me a set of brake / gear levers compatible with the cassette for $170- so i think from advice here we will have to put some dollars together for them, i will be calling the bike shop back today to find out the brand of the levers an if any of the derailers i have here will be compatible with the bike yet another thing but at least the bike is looking like a bike now so thats a great start

I measured the hole for the seat post an its 31mm exactly, Thanks for the advice im on such a rapid learning curb just now an without the advice so far i can see i would of made a few big mistakes already

Originally Posted by 4myson

I measured the hole for the seat post an its 31mm exactly,
Not good enough I'm afraid.

It has to be to the tenths of millimeters. Use a vernier caliper.

Here's a link that might help you with assembling a bike from separately sourced parts:http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo

31.6 mm is quite common. 31.5 not so.

I'd trial fit a 31.6 and take it from there.