Help required with Forks

Glen75

Jun 11, 2007
I have 2 bikes, one is a new giant with a 1 1/8th" steerer with a clamp on style stem, it has a intergrated headset.
My other bike is a older bike, with the 'quill' style stem that goes down into the forks steerer (1") and has a threaded headset. Now i need a new set of forks for this bike.
I have looked on website like PBK to purchase some new carbon forks, but i cannot see any reference to being able to be used with a threaded headset. Can i assume any 1" steerer fork will work? Do i need to have a local bike shop put a thread on the steerer?

Any help on this would be apprecaited. I was not into bike during the transistion from threaded to clamp on, or 1" to 1 1/8, so i'm lost on solutions.

Thanks in advance.

Glen75 said:
I have looked on website like PBK to purchase some new carbon forks, but i cannot see any reference to being able to be used with a threaded headset. Can i assume any 1" steerer fork will work? Do i need to have a local bike shop put a thread on the steerer?
Why are you changing the fork? Is it a ROAD or MTB fork?

If you are updating a MTB, are you certain that the fork has a 1" steerer? There were several years when MTBs had forks with 1 1/8" threaded steerers.

Regardless, threading the steerer is probably NOT an option since the steerer on any NEW carbon fibre fork which you will buy will more-than-likely be alloy or carbon fibre ... unless it is "old stock" which an LBS has in their inventory.

In addition to the fork, you will need a new headset (OR, if you are mechanically inclined, you can machine the threads out of the upper cup so that it sleeves over the steerer) + stem (and, 1" to 1 1/8" shim for the stem unless you happen to locate an older 1" threadless stem) ... and, you will probably want some spacers (25mm to about 40mm) that will fit between the top of the headset & the stem, too.

Basically, the only way you are going to get a 1" threaded carbon fibre ROAD fork is to buy one used ...

Glen75 said:
I have 2 bikes, one is a new giant with a 1 1/8th" steerer with a clamp on style stem, it has a intergrated headset.
My other bike is a older bike, with the 'quill' style stem that goes down into the forks steerer (1") and has a threaded headset. Now i need a new set of forks for this bike.

Any help on this would be apprecaited. I was not into bike during the transistion from threaded to clamp on, or 1" to 1 1/8, so i'm lost on solutions.

Thanks in advance.
\

There are 2 types of 1 inch forks. Ones where the steerer is threaded and made of steel and those that are threadless and made of aluminum or carbon. If aluminum or carbon and threadless,you will also need a new headset and stem. If threaded, just need to match the steerer length you now have. 1 inch forks are out there as well as steel threaded type from Profile and Woundup as well as probably others.