Help: Specialized S1 vs. Giro Pneumo (best ventilation)

Lucas Jensen

Guest
I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best ventilation?
The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition I've noticed that
the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean anything regarding
ventilation?

Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
the velcro straps went off (bad glue).

Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????

Lucas from Denmark

In article <[email protected]>, Lucas Jensen
<[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
>Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best
>ventilation? The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition I've
>noticed that the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean anything
>regarding ventilation?
>
>Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
>the velcro straps went off (bad glue).

Did you ask Giro how to reglue the velcro? This sounds like a minor maintenance problem. They can
probably tell you what type of glue to use that will not damage the integrity of the helmet's
foam shell.

>Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????

I don't know of a better one. The only thing I dislike about the Pneumo (my own anyway) is that the
pads are too small and tend to leak more sweat over my face than I think is right. So this is the
first helmet with which I have ever wanted a headband. Also there have been a lot of reports of
Pneumo's cracked at the brow. I hope Giro has addressed that problem already since it is a
significant mark against that product. Mine has remained uncracked in ~ 2 years but I know many
people who had problems.

"Lucas Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
> Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best
> ventilation? The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition
> I've noticed that the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean
> anything regarding ventilation?
>
> Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
> the velcro straps went off (bad glue).
>
> Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????
>
> Lucas from Denmark

I'd recommend trying them both on, and doing your own assessment of fit and fashion. Not all helmets
fit all heads equally well.

I like my Pneumo a lot for its ventilation, and the retention system is awesome. But, the fit is not
quite right for my head shape (which is a bit longer than wide). Even so, it's not enough to stop me
from wearing it (plus, it's got a high "cool factor", and it was a gift).

Gary G.