Help: Specialized S1 vs. Giro Pneumo (best ventilation)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lucas Jensen, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Lucas Jensen

    Lucas Jensen Guest

    I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
    Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best ventilation?
    The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition I've noticed that
    the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean anything regarding
    ventilation?

    Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
    the velcro straps went off (bad glue).

    Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????

    Lucas from Denmark

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Lucas Jensen
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
    >Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best
    >ventilation? The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition I've
    >noticed that the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean anything
    >regarding ventilation?
    >
    >Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
    >the velcro straps went off (bad glue).

    Did you ask Giro how to reglue the velcro? This sounds like a minor maintenance problem. They can
    probably tell you what type of glue to use that will not damage the integrity of the helmet's
    foam shell.

    >Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????

    I don't know of a better one. The only thing I dislike about the Pneumo (my own anyway) is that the
    pads are too small and tend to leak more sweat over my face than I think is right. So this is the
    first helmet with which I have ever wanted a headband. Also there have been a lot of reports of
    Pneumo's cracked at the brow. I hope Giro has addressed that problem already since it is a
    significant mark against that product. Mine has remained uncracked in ~ 2 years but I know many
    people who had problems.

  3. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Lucas Jensen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for a new helmet with the possibly best ventilation. I've stumbled across the
    > Specialized S1 and the Giro Pneumo. Does anybody know which one of the two has the best
    > ventilation? The S1 has a funny looking mouth vent in front...does it really help? In addition
    > I've noticed that the Pneumo has long, slim vents and the S1 short, wide vents. Does that mean
    > anything regarding ventilation?
    >
    > Until know I've used the Giro Boreas (good ventilation) but I'm unhappy with RocLoc system because
    > the velcro straps went off (bad glue).
    >
    > Maybe there's even a better alternative to the S1 and the Pneumo????
    >
    > Lucas from Denmark

    I'd recommend trying them both on, and doing your own assessment of fit and fashion. Not all helmets
    fit all heads equally well.

    I like my Pneumo a lot for its ventilation, and the retention system is awesome. But, the fit is not
    quite right for my head shape (which is a bit longer than wide). Even so, it's not enough to stop me
    from wearing it (plus, it's got a high "cool factor", and it was a gift).

    Gary G.