Help stop the spam

lanierb

Aug 12, 2004
If you have a link to cyclingforums on your personal web page, remove it. The more links there are to cyclingforums, the higher up they appear on searches and the more it becomes worthwhile to spam the forums. I realize this is probably too little too late at this point, but please remove any public links you have to these forums.

Lanier

lanierb said:
If you have a link to cyclingforums on your personal web page, remove it. The more links there are to cyclingforums, the higher up they appear on searches and the more it becomes worthwhile to spam the forums. I realize this is probably too little too late at this point, but please remove any public links you have to these forums.

Lanier
It would be more effective if certain people were deligated permision to be admins or some level of moderator who would be able to clean this place up. Its sad to see such a great resource goto waste.

Perhaps they're just looking for people with the necessary professional skills, i.e mcse, a+, net+, experience with databases, etc who would be willing to volunteer some of their time.

The problem is that people click on the spammer links and view their "messages`"

This means that it is worthwhile for the spammers to keep doing this. If there were big fat zeros next to every spam post in the number of views column they would probably give up. But the fact is some people are apparantly intersted or curious and that give these bastards reason to continue.

Now and then I could use a nice visual of the Chinese shoe market to go with all this spam. Just admire the quality. :)

shoes1.jpg

BullGod said:
The problem is that people click on the spammer links and view their "messages`"

This means that it is worthwhile for the spammers to keep doing this. If there were big fat zeros next to every spam post in the number of views column they would probably give up. But the fact is some people are apparantly intersted or curious and that give these bastards reason to continue.
You have to view the message in order to report it as spam. I used to do that for a while when I was still deluded that it might help.

In reality, I seriously doubt anyone is logging in to see if their spam threads are getting any views. That's all auto-spam from spamming programs.

Spam isn't an issue of the users doing anything, its the lack of security taken during registration.

Oddly Enough I thought VBulletin was better at that, I would expect this from phpBB2